Coho or Chinook??

Sounds like one I put back this year because it was over 80 and I wasn't convinced it was a pink. I knew it wasn't a coho, but it was too big to be a pink I thought. :confused:
If it was over 80 cm It WAS NOT A PINK. some races of chinook have squiggly spots

If it was over 80 cm It WAS NOT A PINK. some races of chinook have squiggly spots
Good to know. This fish also had the tiny scales and no spots on the back.
It swam away.

The mouth is the best place to ID salmon species for those who are not sure. Check for prickly teeth that will cut you if you run your finger across them with a bit of pressure applied. They are primarily fish feeders, Will be Chinook or Coho. Now look at the flesh/gums where the teeth protrude from, black Chinook, white Coho. No sharp prickly teeth means they are primarily plankton/shimp feeders, pink, sockeye and Chum. Pinks are easily picked out from these 3 as they have Oval spots on the tail and very small scales. They also will make your boat look like you just slaughtered a pig in your boat with all the blood splatter. Sockeye and Chum are the hardest to distinguish between especially if the Chum was caught early when still silver bright. If sockeye are closed to retention it is best for those who can’t tell the difference to just assume it a sockeye…. unless its over 15pounds.

Last edited:
The mouth is the best place to ID salmon species for those who are not sure. Check for prickly teeth that will cut you if you run your finger across them with a bit of pressure applied. They are primarily fish feeders, Will be Chinook or Coho. Now look at the flesh/gums where the teeth protrude from, black Chinook, white Coho. No sharp prickly teeth means they ate primarily plankton/shimp feeders, pink, sockeye and Chum. Pinks are easily picked out from these 3 as they have Oval spots on the tail and very small scales. They also will make your boat look like you just slaughtered a pig in your boat with all the blood splatter. Sockeye and Chum are the hardest to distinguish between especially if the Chum was caught early when still silver bright. If sockeye are closed to retention it is best for those who can’t tell the difference to just assume it a sockeye…. unless its over 15pounds.
Some very good tips here.

Years ago I caught a tank of a Chum at Browns Bay and I found a large herring in his stomach!! I'm not sure if Chum only feed on shrimps and plankton and yes, ocean Minty Chum can be easily confused with Sockey! Good news is that I only retain Chum when they hit their spawning ground. I love to suprise my in-laws with a Thanksgiving gift. ;)

Some very good tips here.

Years ago I caught a tank of a Chum at Browns Bay and I found a large herring in his stomach!! I'm not sure if Chum only feed on shrimps and plankton and yes, ocean Minty Chum can be easily confused with Sockey! Good news is that I only retain Chum when they hit their spawning ground. I love to suprise my in-laws with a Thanksgiving gift. ;)
Actually fresh chum smoke really good, better then pinks

The mouth is the best place to ID salmon species for those who are not sure. Check for prickly teeth that will cut you if you run your finger across them with a bit of pressure applied. They are primarily fish feeders, Will be Chinook or Coho. Now look at the flesh/gums where the teeth protrude from, black Chinook, white Coho. No sharp prickly teeth means they ate primarily plankton/shimp feeders, pink, sockeye and Chum. Pinks are easily picked out from these 3 as they have Oval spots on the tail and very small scales. They also will make your boat look like you just slaughtered a pig in your boat with all the blood splatter. Sockeye and Chum are the hardest to distinguish between especially if the Chum was caught early when still silver bright. If sockeye are closed to retention it is best for those who can’t tell the difference to just assume it a sockeye…. unless its over 15pounds.
The ID info is great, but some odd ball mutts swimming out there now a days, it’s like downtown Vancouver, you never know until the clothes are off what trophy you really have lmao

Back