Best lb test of Line for Salmon

Slack-tider

What a great site!! I have been reading between the lines for a few months. Picking up a few tips and tricks. The question to you all is: What is the best lb test line to be using for Salmon this time of the year? I brought a new rod and reel a few months ago and but 40 lb on and think I have caught less fish on that pole since. Is a lighter line less visible to fish or create better action down below?? Thanks

Heading out tomorrow rain or shine!! Keep the tip up.

I run 20# - 25#
If you are using down riggers
it likly is your leader that is most important, the line between your flasher and bait. I have been using 50# Fluorocarbon for hoochies and 40# Flurorocarbon for bait. 50# Adds action to the hooch, and you can lift some of the smaller fish by hand without cuttin' up your fingers. Some times I run 50# for bait when the springs seem to be dooin' alot of head shakes and cuttin' thinner line. :D

I run 40 lb ultragreen. Under ideal conditions with fresh line i would like to run 25 but i would be constantly replacing it. Between it getting frayed all the time and the need to haul springs outta seals mouths i couldnt go much lighter.

As for leader size salmon are rarely leader shy. The heavy 40-50lb leader gives hootchies a nice whip. Feeders are normally really aggressive aswell.

25 or 30lb seems to work best for me...
i don't think visibility is an issue, however heavier mono
creates more drag while trolling, bigger line belly.

25 main, 40 leader in summer..25 main and 20 leader in winter off the waterfront when the seals are bad...get a few more flashers back.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

25 main, 40 leader in summer..25 main and 20 leader in winter off the waterfront when the seals are bad...get a few more flashers back.
I fought 2 seals last weekend, 30lb/30lb
got the hoochie back too !;)

25# is wayyy to light for what I do, it costs me way too much $. Maxima 35 works although Im probably gonna go with braided line this season.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

30# mainline - high vis Mustad or the new Suffix. Looking to run the 40# fluorocarbon leader this season. Regardless, it is 30/40 for me.

th_067.jpg

25 main in neon green Big game with 40 lbs Maxima Chameleon for the wife and 25 Big Game with the same leader for me.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

You know its winter and down time when we start chatting about fishing line LOL LOL.
I like 30 lb high vis green and 40 lb yami line for leader you can get it at nicca or trotac its a commercial line that is great easy to tie and soft but very tough,
experimented with that new P-Line last year it was ok found I liked the big game better that stuff is very tough last a long time.
The main reason for hi vis is I can see where the line is when a client is reeling in the fish and is great for other fisherman to see as well.

wolf

Back