Bamfield Poett Nook Reports Spring/Summer 2012

this just in
Another monster of a fish weighed in at Poett Nook a few hours ago ,
confirmed by 2 good friends that witnessed the weigh in

58 lb chinook caught at the " Wall" lol , dont have alot of details yet , to follow soon ,
here is a pic that does not do it justice , try ta get some better shots , this was sent to me via Cell Phone

Nice Fish !!

yes , thats a full size wheel burrow it's in !!

fd

photo-1.jpg

this just in

58 lb chinook caught at the " Wall" lol , dont have alot of details yet , to follow soon ,
here is a pic that does not do it justice , try ta get some better shots , this was sent to me via Cell Phone

Nice Fish !!

fd

photo-1.jpg

That's awesome!! Can't wait to get out there Monday!

this just in

Nice Fish !!

fd

photo-1.jpg
Crazy fish! Just when the reports were slowing down....this monster gets caught and the lure of big fish are on the brain again :)

Strange thing, it seems that aside from the fact that there seem to be fewer fish in general this year, the big ones are mostly caught close to shore. In Ukee the majority of big fish thus far seem to come from the red can, just outside the harbour. The biggest fish of July (36 lbs) in the ladder derby came from Beg Isle, which is almost as close to the harbour as can be! What gives?

Ukee

I haven't been over in a couple of weeks but the times I have been over this July there didn't seem to be much feed where I fished offshore - turtle head, outside south, inside and outside lighthouse, and southwest corner. Even so we managed to limit out on teeners pretty much every day.

h.e.h.

h.e.h., I agree with you - I experienced pretty much the same thing last week and the week prior, but the biggest fish we caught were at the can and some of the good guides would agree that at least during that period, if you wanted big fish, don't leave the can.

Sorry guys, I did not mean to derail the Bamfield thread, just sharing my observation that big fish seem to be caught closer in this year.

Can a 16 foot whaler be launched in the river at pachena bay camp ground? Going camping and thinking can I launch at the camp ground or do I have to run into Bamfield?

Thanks Doubleeagle, so it can be done, I have a good 4x4 and it will save alot if I can launch and park the truck back in our site. Thanks gona try for one of the 58lbers next weekend.

The most consistent spot to fish in Barkley sound this past week for big fish, has been from Poetts up to Dickson. Black seems to be the color. Black back plugs, Oil Slick hootchies. The 58lber was caught on a 4inch gibbs spoon blue and sliver. Looks like there will be some big fish coming through this August.

The most consistent spot to fish in Barkley sound this past week for big fish, has been from Poetts up to Dickson. Black seems to be the color. Black back plugs, Oil Slick hootchies. The 58lber was caught on a 4inch gibbs spoon blue and sliver. Looks like there will be some big fish coming through this August.

Congrats on the 58lb hog, encouraging to know they still somewhat exist on the west coast of the island. Having said that I just gotta ask what gives any indication that there will be some big fish coming through in August??? Looking forward to that response.

fishing inside is spotty and slow....big bank is producing a lot of fish..... can't seem to find the schools of smilies tho? kirby threw up a couple for me, no size tho, teeners....got a tyee at swail last wednesday....

Got out to the Sound with my Dad and 3 year old...rigged up the rod I had as a kid with a new level wind and 15 lb test...5 minutes in at Swale my kid hooks into his first fish. An honest 10 lb coho...with a little help :). Before anyone chimes in...yes it's wild and yes you can keep them at Swale...
Panasoniccamera011.jpg

Our livingroom for the two nights...Effingham Bay

Panasoniccamera085.jpg

Overall...pretty slow fishing. We fished Swale for an hour Friday through the tide change. Only hooked into the one fish. Moved to Cree/Meares for the rest of the weekend. Landed 6 of 10 springs, biggest 15 lbs. Lost 3 beauties including one pig who's weight I'm not even gonna take a guess at. The 15 took two huge powerful runs...thought we had a tyee for sure.
Tried Turtle Head briefly Sat am. My son was asleep in his bunk and the swell got to him so we headed in after 20 minutes...didn't want his first experience out there to suck. In the 20 minutes we hooked into two nice ones so I think if we could've stayed longer it would've been good.
Most fish taken deep (110-150') out past the 200' line at Cree down to Meares.

The most important thing is we had a great time and in 2-1/2 days of slow fishing my kid didn't complain once about being bored. Looks like we've got another addict on our hands.

Panasoniccamera063.jpg

Congrats on the 58lb hog, encouraging to know they still somewhat exist on the west coast of the island. Having said that I just gotta ask what gives any indication that there will be some big fish coming through in August??? Looking forward to that response.

2012 PRE-SEASON EXPECTATIONS:

Sockeye: For 2012, the forecast return of Somass sockeye was 700,000 (range 500,000 to 1,000,000). Note that the forecast has been updated on July 5, July 19, and July 26 based on in-season observations. Expected stock composition is about 47% Great Central and 53%
Sproat sockeye. Expected age composition is about 36%, 51%, and 13% for age 42, 52, 53 / 63 adults, respectively.

Chinook: Approximately 34,000 Somass chinook are forecast to return to Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet in 2012. The predicted adult age composition is 5%, 33% and 62% of 3, 4 and 5-year olds, respectively. Given the age composition, about 24,000 spawners are required to meet the 57.2M egg target for the system. Therefore, about 10,000 Somass chinook are available for harvest in the ‘terminal fishery’ from Alberni Inlet seaward to Barkley Sound.

Chum: Approximately 530,000 chum are forecast to return to South West Vancouver Island in 2012 (62,000 to Area 23). While this forecast is below long-term averages, some modest harvest opportunities may be expected.

Coho: For 2012, the total expected return to Somass system is about 25,000 to 35,000 coho. The forecast survival rate for the 2009 brood year (2011 sea entry) year is somewhat below the long-term average for West coast Vancouver Island coho.

Great Report Degree, thats what its all about , you guys look like ya had a great time ,
little guy will never forget that the beauty Coho with dad beside em ..

.... fd

Got out to the Sound with my Dad and 3 year old...rigged up the rod I had as a kid with a new level wind and 15 lb test...5 minutes in at Swale my kid hooks into his first fish. An honest 10 lb coho...with a little help :). Before anyone chimes in...yes it's wild and yes you can keep them at Swale...
Panasoniccamera011.jpg

Our livingroom for the two nights...Effingham Bay

Panasoniccamera085.jpg

Overall...pretty slow fishing. We fished Swale for an hour Friday through the tide change. Only hooked into the one fish. Moved to Cree/Meares for the rest of the weekend. Landed 6 of 10 springs, biggest 15 lbs. Lost 3 beauties including one pig who's weight I'm not even gonna take a guess at. The 15 took two huge powerful runs...thought we had a tyee for sure.
Tried Turtle Head briefly Sat am. My son was asleep in his bunk and the swell got to him so we headed in after 20 minutes...didn't want his first experience out there to suck. In the 20 minutes we hooked into two nice ones so I think if we could've stayed longer it would've been good.
Most fish taken deep (110-150') out past the 200' line at Cree down to Meares.

The most important thing is we had a great time and in 2-1/2 days of slow fishing my kid didn't complain once about being bored. Looks like we've got another addict on our hands.

Panasoniccamera063.jpg

That's a memorable report Degree. Something special about hooking a big fish with your son.
I was out with my 7 year old today, and man was he pumped when he nailed a fish....turned out to be a mackerel, but wow, was he excited. (The day was lots of fun for both of us, even though no springs found for us around Assits, the wall & Diplock).

Just got back from spending the weekend fishing Bamfield,Definitly not hot but if you put your time in there is fish to be had.The best spot for us was kirby where we picked up a28,27,22,17,13 and a 10.

Just got back from spending the weekend fishing Bamfield,Definitly not hot but if you put your time in there is fish to be had.The best spot for us was kirby where we picked up a28,27,22,17,13 and a 10.

Not too shabby there Gary;)! I haven't caught a salmon over 12 lbs this year so far lol. How is the boat working?. Obviously she catches fish:).

Back