Bamfield Poett Nook Reports Spring/Summer 2012

Keep the mrs away from the outlets...mine tacked $4000 onto the cost of my last boat when we went to Portland to pick it up...tough to argue with her at the time :)

Nope. Heading down with the family to Seattle for the weekend. Gotta keep the Mrs. happy (and pick up some more tuna gear lol). Where have you been the last couple of weekends?

Happy wife...happy life... :) Gold river for a week and still dealing with motor problems with the big power...should have her back weds/thursday so I'll get her back in the water this coming weekend .. Then hard at the fishing thing for the next 3 weeks... :) hopefully

Day 1 - Turtle: lots of coho and smaller springs. Foggy and cool.
Day 2 - Turtle: 2 day possession limit with 3 nice springs in the mid/high 20's, on purple haze needle fish plastic. Overcast, drizzle, cool.
Sent the big coolers home.
Day 3 - Big Bank was outstanding: bigger springs loving the blue, 6", fish scale coyote @ 130 feet in 210. Out at Rat's: biggest ~ 31#.
We returned about 40 wild coho to keep 8 hatchery fish.
Then 4 chickens on salmon bellies, drifting at noon slack ~ 20 - 25#. ~180 feet.
Fish in the boat; 4 happy guys. Warm ,sunny, calm; - perfect day on the water.

Well done Foxsea. You know where to find the fish....and as my neighbor said, the fishing in Barkley sound doesn't seem like a sure bet, compared to offshore (although it is called fishing - not always catching :).
I went out to Pill on Sunday and caught my "limit" on mackerel. How annoying those little guys are as you can't even tell often there is a fish on as they are so small. The day was still amazing as we saw a great show from a bunch of humpbacks! Incredible day on the west coast (especially after a trip to the dry & also spectacular California Coast).

Well done Foxsea. You know where to find the fish.... How annoying those little guys are as you can't even tell often there is a fish on as they are so small. The day was still amazing as we saw a great show from a bunch of humpbacks! Incredible day on the west coast (especially after a trip to the dry & also spectacular California Coast).

Many thanks for the compliments, guys.
The water is colder a-ways offshore so we didn't see mackeral at all! Nice for us. Seeing the whales is always a huge bonus - epic days on our coast.
Neighbours and family were delighted to take some salmon off our hands and the balance is now loading the freezers.

I'm eager to get more candy going once we're back from the interior in 2 weeks - and to get back for some more, hot fishin' action.
Take care out there.

Osama,

yer a dink...coming back for this weekend's derby with "git 'er done"....round 2???

Getbent
:)

Heading out early Friday through Sunday with my dad and son (he'll be 4 in a month). Just dusted off the rod I had as a kid and bought him a shiny new level wind...should be fun! Staying on the pick at Effingham.
Hope Big Wave Dave is right and Environment Canada is wrong...25-30 knt difference between their predications (wtf?)
Probably be monitoring 16 and 6.
Dan

Swell watch says fri sat are ok sun is getting lumpy right into the sound. The off-shore is a little questionable the farther off you go. Sun does not look great off-shore.

Osama,

yer a dink...coming back for this weekend's derby with "git 'er done"....round 2???

Getbent
:)

Roger that. I think my hangover is almost gone from the last go-round...

Big dance at the firehall Saturday and this newly single butt is goin' on the market LOL!

See ya soon.

Took a break from big bank and poked around inside this morning. A few nice fish but scratchy overall, still managed some springs, halis and coho but worked hard for them. Hardware 70-100 feet were our go to. Here are some pics. Offshore is still inconsistent on big springs. Hopefully they start moving in and holding soon.

Beauty morning

a35.jpg

Jonny coaching a double header of nice springs.

a36.jpg

a37.jpg

Done

a41.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a few random shots from earlier in the week.

PS we are selling BC Tough shirts in Bamfield at the general store, Seabeam, Mills landing or ask Jeff, Jon and I if you see us. 25$ with 5$ being donated to the harbour salmon pen project.

a23.jpg

a1-1.jpg

a5.jpg

XXL for me Kelly, we will see you this weekend for sure!

Nice work on the inside, i hope they show in the next couple of days....

Getbent

Back