Bamfield Poett Nook Reports Spring/Summer 2012

Have the Springs begun to come into the Inlet yet, or are they just being caught in the Sound? I'm planning a trip for next week and wondering if I should stay in P.A. or Bamfield.
Thanks!

Your boat looked very un happpy sitting on the lot this weekend not being used..... :)

Wheww, at least she's still there. Thanks for the heads up lol:D. Hitting it hard the rest of the summer. You going to be around this weekend?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just came back from a great weekend camping in the Sound. The biggest was a 32 lb, caught at 175' off Mears. White and green coyote, midday yesterday. Offshore seemed good, but we only managed to spend an hour out there as the weather was changing. I saw the leader board at Poett - would have loved to see a pic of the 58 lber that was brought in earlier this month.

Lots of great whale action too, with breaching, tail slapping, etc! Watched a whale watching boat ("Raincoast something or other") follow a humpback at just 30 feet back for quite sometime. Thought there was a minimum distance they are supposed to keep.

Stay at Bamfield,the bigger springs will show for this weekend...use 3.5 coyote and smallish chovies

Wheww, at least she's still there. Thanks for the heads up lol:D. Hitting it hard the rest of the summer. You going to be around this weekend?

Up again next weekend...still have problems with my big power...basically screw last weekend for me...Hoipe we have it done now....You up there next weekend

Up again next weekend...still have problems with my big power...basically screw last weekend for me...Hoipe we have it done now....You up there next weekend

Yup. I'll be up every weekend now for the rest of the summer. Hope you get the main worked out.

Had a few buddies in town this past weekend and the weather was outstanding as was the fishing.

Friday in the pea soup fog we started at Kirby and spent an hour with no luck, moved over to Cree where we were only getting rockfish and then moved offshore to Turtlehead and finally the Wreck. TH was slow, but we picked up a small spring. The Wreck was better, three more spring but got our limit on hatch-Coho. The fog burned off around 11 and the winds stayed relatively light although earlier in the week were forecast for 35kts.

Saturday, the sun was out, the winds were calm so we headed straight out to the Rat's Nose. Lots of boats out there with everyone hooking up. It didn't take us more than 1 minute to be into our first fish -- hatchery coho took the spoon from the surface before the rod was even down. Multiple double headers and triple headers. We limited on both springs and coho in 2 hours. Water was so clear you could see the fish swimming under the boat 20-30 ft down. We were getting springs deep deep deep to get past to Coho -- 150+ft landed us a pair of 20lb springs. Everything was working! Spoons, plugs, hoochies didn't really seem to matter what colour -- flashers were totally optional. We dragged a Bucktail behind a 8/9wt fly rod had hits on that. Decided to drift for a while to go after some Halibut and did some jigging and the coho's were absolutely slamming the jig -- that was very cool. Overall, we caught well over 50 fish in a span of about 4 hours. Between 9-11am things were so frantic I couldn't stop to take a leak!!!

Sunday we decided to stay closer to home -- initially tried off Cree with one 10lb spring before we got blown off the water. Toured my buddies through the Broken Group and worked King George down the NE sides of the Deer Group. Couple of hits, but nothing major to show. Ran into the Tuna boat in Bamfield that night and picked up 3 x 30lb Albacore (boat is called the Star). He bleeds and individually hangs each Tuna by the tail in his blast freezer which holds them at -40C -- Sushi grade Tuna --looking forward to some good feeds on that.

Monday was go-home day so we fished for 2 hours at the Wall before the massive swamp out of the boat. Picked up our largest fish of the weekend within the first 5 minutes -- a 22lb spring (caught by me) on a green hoochie in 60ft of water. Great way to end the weekend.

Tried out an insulated fish bag this weekend rather than a bulky cooler. I have to say, they work very very well. Hangs off the back of the transom and it holds a ton of fish. We used a single bag of salt ice plus a few milk jug blocks I freeze over-night. The ice was well frozen at the end of each day. I like the bag as it saves a bunch of space on the dance floor. Heavy duty zippers and it's easy to drop in the fish. Got it at Westmarine -- it's made by C.E. Smith Company although there are many others. Don't see many using them up here, but the US guys seem keen on them. Pic of our Saturday catch -- we could have easily doubled the content of the bag as it had lots more room.

photo.JPG

Spent the last four days in Bamfield with Ocean Belle (Git er Done) and Slim pickens for the BVFD fishing derby, a job well done guy's!

As Tenmile said it was good offshore, a bit spotty inside with bites on and off but a great time had at the derby....Thanks to the organizers!

Getbent

Osama yer still a dink....fudge doctor....lol

Over the past few days the big springs have started to show up in the Sound.

Lots of fish over 30, mid 20's were pretty common yesterday. Finding the bait and fishing the tides have been key. Anchovy and herring seem to be working the best. The majority of big springs have came from Kirby, Dickson and all the way down to Nanat.

That bag is interesting I have a lot of space issues on my boat, and hate the size of my tub gets in the way. How much was it?

Lots of guys use these "kill bags" here in Washington, especially those chasing the tuna offshore.

Try looking here www.reliablefishing.com click on "kill bags"......... 949-350-6011 I think the guy you want to talk to there is Robert.

Last edited by a moderator:
spoke ta a few out there today ,not sounding very promising with any numbers , actually here the inside is brutally slow ,
see if i can prove them wrong ; ) not into the offshore fogust show ,...i dont care if its not that great inshore , i need my wc fix ,
give me sum sun n pops , alls good... will be out there for the week ,
drop me a line or stop by if any of ya are in the area , i will be in Bamfield on Tuesday and Wednesday if any of ya need anything ?

see ya

fk

Cleaning tables in Port were rather busy today. Quite a few springs ranging from 20's up to 40 pounds. They GOTTA be coming through somewhere out there... :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

Back