Bamfield Poett Nook Reports Spring/Summer 2012

Got the boat around to Bamfield on Saturday. Left about 5:30 from Oak Bay and pulled into Bamfield at 9:30 to pick up a buddy. Good cruise the entire way -- almost flat water from Sheringham to Pachena lighthouse.

Had 2 decent days of fishing. Got 4 springs in the 20lb range and several teens. Fished both around Effingham and Kirby. Early morning and evening bites seemed to be the best. Most of the fish on a green hoochy. Had a small Tomic plug off a 3rd rod and it kept hitting the Coho.

Fellas

spent a week out on wcvi , covered ALOT of ground , Fishing Was great , some areas were dead , some were on fire , lets just say that if there were more than 10 boats in an area , it usually wasnt that good ,there were pockets of small groups of larger fish. Most in tight ta shore , NO BAIT needed , %90 of my fish were on needles and hoochies , GREEN was nice....the deepest we fished in the sound was the meat hole ( west flemmimg ) there were fish from there all the way up to ship , 60-90ft was the ticket, A RIDICULOUS amount of humpies moved in to the sound mid week , makin for sum entertainment , got sum great vid , BUT , they would screw the fishin up , so ya had ta move on , sound has HUGE schools of Pilchards and Anchovy's , yes the bigger springs had Pilchards in them , so guess what we used : )...

We slept on the hook a few nights , we started to work our way up towards starfish , fish all over the bank enroute , so we dropped the gear , found some mediums at Outter South , biggest was 23 lbs , got into a large school of coho , to many wilds so we pulled the pin and moved on..

7 mile , caught 1 12 lb spring , 14 mile was good for smaller springs to about 15lbs if i remember , nothing big , but a few there ( thx Deryk ; )

spent a night tucked into a designated anchoring area behind turtle Island with 5 other boats , WAY to cool , gorgeous there...not a cloud in the sky..

Turtle head was also producing really well , but shut down the following day.. moved on ,
now we spent a couple of days at Effingham and Ship , it WENT OFF , largest was 27 ( no tyees for us yet ) but several over 20lbs , again , all on rubber and LARGE pilchard spoons ( no flasher ) theres a good number of 30lb + fish showin up at the Poett Nook Dock now , largest was 40lbs on Friday - http://www.poettnook.com/welcome.html

last day , worked our way out for some white meat , we were lucky enuff ta hook into these twins , as well as this ugly thing , scared the **** outta my bro , tail is friggen scary man,,,

oh yeah , all this talk about Mackerel , we only caught a few , there sure is alot inshore though , i troll a lill quicker , so maybe that kept em at bay , dont know..

overall , great weather , almost 0 wind , 6 flats of cold'ins amazing food , serious burn, tan whatever ya wanna call it , Had a blast with my Bestest Amigo Marco

sum shotz..

later

fd

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0361-1.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

Great post FD.

BTW - about 9:30ish Sunday morning I heard a Mayday-relay over the radio. Boat at the Turtle Head taking on water. Sounds like the guy must have called Coast Guard from his cell phone (*16 for those that don't know) and Tofino relayed the Mayday. Sounded like the boat that responded was "Squid Lips" from what I could understand. He responded very quickly -- and about 30 minutes later, the Coast Guard zodiac blew past us at Kirby (at about 50Mph) with the larger Cape McKay following about 15 minutes after that.

Nothing could be more scary in my mind that being out several miles from shore with 50 degree water rushing into your boat. Thumbs up to Squid Lips!!!

Thanks for the report Felix, it's great to see things picking up. Im moving out to Bammy tonight and will be working for Mckay Bay.

PS Jeff i think we're going for a shakedown fish tomorrow if your interested.

Great Pics. Fished this past weekend out of Bamfield with lil bro and Dad. Fished Friday at Kirby and Mears/Cree, nothing but mackrel for us. Ran out to Turtle Sat Morning and hit coho on glow green, managed a spring on glow green hootch. Picked up another smaller spring at the Red can off Ukee. Tried for Hali on Sunday but just kept running into large skates. In general it was pretty slow for us, but like FD said there are pockets of larger springs, lost a real nice one about 50 feet off the boat.....Glow green was the ticket for most of our fish. Fishing out of Ukee one week from now, lets hope things get less patchy.

Back home from four nights at Julia passage. Had my nephew and his buddy from the mainland over. We started Thursday eve at Kirby for a round of nothing but shakers. Tons of whales all around us . Had to be extra observant on the ride back across imperial to the pass.

Friday We hit offshore a little west of turtle and we were into coho right away actually had a good mix of clipped fish I think we went three for five. Did not matter if we were mid column or right tight to the bottom. Finished the day with a mix of 6 springs and coho, biggest being 22.5 lbs. Lots of undersize or just over that we released.Decided to go back on Sat and it was way slow in comparison. Picked up one teener spring and a hatch ho that would push 10 lbs then was just a few smallies,so we moved over to Turtle. Ground it out there for a while and finished with 5 nothing big. Also picked up a couple chickens on an LED to round it out.

Should note that green was the color for us until the early afternoon then we tried a silver hootchie (thats right one of the silver and gold pair from the 80's with the metal flake look). That thing doubled are spring count and lost a couple as well including one that battled for close to 10 min before getting off. All our bigger fish were right off bottom.

Sunday was bottom fish day. I had picked a couple spots off the chart to try so we picked one of them and dropped the hook. After missing it completely and pulling it and re setting we were close enough. Got a selection of tasty treats onto the spreader bars and then the waiting began. After4.5 to five hours, one octopus and and a nice mix of rock fish we finished up with a 30 and a 15 lb Halibut .

All in all it was a great trip and I enjoyed hangen with my nephew and his friend.

Here is a shot of the two Hallibut from Sunday. Left the camera at the cabin for most of the trip.

DSC02665.jpg

The 30 swam on me as I was thrusting the harpoon. Almost missed completely and ended up rippin a hole in the gut as seen in this pic. ended up gaffing it and tossing it on the deck.

DSC02666.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Banks on fire, early morning produced the decent springs. More coho that I've seen in a while. Plenty of hatcheries mixed into it.

2 days in 23 and 123.
Lots of coho everywhere, but no crazy bites, lots of double headers though.
Never saw a coho or spring of decent size, lots of them perfect for the bbq!
Scraped a few chickens off the sand.
More action on the big bank, not so much action when in closer, and the sound is producing if you put your time in.
Agree with OBH that there are lots of hatch hos out there, approx 40% of what we had at the boat.

3 Great days offshore: July 27-29

Day 1 - Turtle: lots of coho and smaller springs. Foggy and cool.
Day 2 - Turtle: 2 day possession limit with 3 nice springs in the mid/high 20's, on purple haze needle fish plastic. Overcast, drizzle, cool.
Sent the big coolers home.
Day 3 - Big Bank was outstanding: bigger springs loving the blue, 6", fish scale coyote @ 130 feet in 210. Out at Rat's: biggest ~ 31#.
We returned about 40 wild coho to keep 8 hatchery fish.
Then 4 chickens on salmon bellies, drifting at noon slack ~ 20 - 25#. ~180 feet.
Fish in the boat; 4 happy guys. Warm ,sunny, calm; - perfect day on the water.

July 29 12 Spring and Coyote.jpg

July 28 Harls spring.jpg

July 28th 12 spring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Slabs FoxSea!~

that spoon can be a killer....wish the same report could have been had a week ago when I was there but watcanyado!?

Great fish, sounds like a hell of a 3-dayer!

Back