Anyone use any other than salt for their anchovies?

tidal shot

Crew Member
Just wondering if guys use anything else for preparing their anchovies and herring? I have only used pickling salt, but seen some stuff from procure that looks good

Pickling salt, some powdered milk, and blueing does it for me. I've heard good things about the Fire Brine from Pautskies (sp) but it strikes me as pretty expensive when you're using a lot of anchovies.

I put them on semi frozen in the morning lol and no brining they work great. Just keep them cold or they get soft later in the day.

I use Bait Brine from Bluewater Bait. Mix in a cup of water after it's been in the brine for a while. The bait lasts way longer than it would if you did not brine. 3 to 5 days. The choives that are brined hit more fish than the straight choives.

Not sure where you are tidal shot but I got some at Gone Fishin Courtenay,I tried the grocery stores but couldn't find it

I'm in Alberta, I make my bait and tackle stop usually at nanaimo before heading north.

Anybody brine larger batches and then freeze them? I was wondering if it would be more practical to brine a bunch then freeze them in smaller packets.

Anybody brine larger batches and then freeze them? I was wondering if it would be more practical to brine a bunch then freeze them in smaller packets.
If I have any left over after a long trip I freeze them. I always get new ones for the next trip but I burn up the frozen brined ones the afternoon we get there. They do surprisingly well!!

Thanks guys, I'll give the liquid bluing and baby powder a shot next week. Can't believe it's less than six days and I'm on the coast again. I really envy you guys that live on the island!

I would try powdered milk, not baby powder lol. I think you probably meant the milk, but I just wanted to make sure your anchovies werent smelling like a cabbage patch kid.

Thanks guys, I'll give the liquid bluing and baby powder a shot next week. Can't believe it's less than six days and I'm on the coast again. I really envy you guys that live on the island!

Ha ha ha, oops. Yeah powdered milk. All in the same cubbard at home! Lol! Oh boy can tell brain is somewhere else itching to head out.

Thanks guys, I really enjoy this forum.

Back