Aluminum vs. Fiberglass....Pursuit vs. Harbercraft

I am on my second hourston, the first being a 15 1/2. It was a great little fishing maching. I am now in the prosses of having my 20 ft hourston rebuilt. Out with the inboard and all of the inside guts right down to the bare floors. Now the fun starts. Rebuilding everything from the ground up with a little help from my friends. I'll have to publish some pics of the work stage by stage when I get a little further on.Wish me luck and patience.

I am on my second hourston, the first being a 15 1/2. It was a great little fishing maching. I am now in the prosses of having my 20 ft hourston rebuilt. Out with the inboard and all of the inside guts right down to the bare floors. Now the fun starts. Rebuilding everything from the ground up with a little help from my friends. I'll have to publish some pics of the work stage by stage when I get a little further on.Wish me luck and patience.

Not a huge fan of the hourstons, although i'm only 19 and i'm sure you guys have a lot more knowledge on the subject than i do. i'm not sure if this is true, but i heard that the best sized boat for the open water (aka west coast) and the rollers out there is 26ft as it cuts through them the best and gives the smoothest ride...it kinda makes sense to me but at the same time the rollers aren't always same distance apart....so thoughts??

David

Not a huge fan of the hourstons, although i'm only 19 and i'm sure you guys have a lot more knowledge on the subject than i do. i'm not sure if this is true, but i heard that the best sized boat for the open water (aka west coast) and the rollers out there is 26ft as it cuts through them the best and gives the smoothest ride...it kinda makes sense to me but at the same time the rollers aren't always same distance apart....so thoughts??

David

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

David

My 23 is pretty damn good, but the 26' has the extra length and weight to deal with it a bit better, the guys with the 26's can just pull away from me. We'll see when I get the 26 in the water for next season.

David

My 23 is pretty damn good, but the 26' has the extra length and weight to deal with it a bit better, the guys with the 26's can just pull away from me. We'll see when I get the 26 in the water for next season.

Yeah, definately looking forward to this upcoming summer with the 26 and 30 out there. plus the 22 campion as well. should be a pretty good year im hoping...seee how things go! the option on the 26 is whether to go with dual 150's or the single 250. Surprisingly, they are almost the same MPG and the safety of the dualies is nice too....suggestions on which way to go?

David

Yeah, definately looking forward to this upcoming summer with the 26 and 30 out there. plus the 22 campion as well. should be a pretty good year im hoping...seee how things go! the option on the 26 is whether to go with dual 150's or the single 250. Surprisingly, they are almost the same MPG and the safety of the dualies is nice too....suggestions on which way to go?

David

David

I'm rolling with twin 140's. Problem is, you will have to prop 'em low to plane a big boat with a single 150.

David

I'm rolling with twin 140's. Problem is, you will have to prop 'em low to plane a big boat with a single 150.

Anyone ever ride in a 18' Starcraft cuddy cabin boat? I saw one advertised for sale down in Washington.

There was one on the dock a few years ago, I liked the layout. I hear they are very light to trailer, which is a plus, but I'm wondering how they ride...too corky or ok? But as well, riveted aluminum makes me nervous...

Any opinions?

Anyone ever ride in a 18' Starcraft cuddy cabin boat? I saw one advertised for sale down in Washington.

There was one on the dock a few years ago, I liked the layout. I hear they are very light to trailer, which is a plus, but I'm wondering how they ride...too corky or ok? But as well, riveted aluminum makes me nervous...

Any opinions?

I've got a 21 ft Starcraft cuddy cabin. It rides great in calm water. But, because it is so light, it takes a pounding in big water. Never had a wave break over the top though. That's because it's like a cork. Doesn't cut through the water, but stays on top of the waves. It's definately a great fishing boat for where I am on Kootenay Lake.

I bring it to Barkley Sound every year though. Yes, one nice thing is that it is light for trailering. No problems when fishing on the inside. Takes a bit of a beating when heading offshore. Although we usually only head out 5 miles. Not sure if I'd like to try and make a run to the Big Bank.

I've got a 21 ft Starcraft cuddy cabin. It rides great in calm water. But, because it is so light, it takes a pounding in big water. Never had a wave break over the top though. That's because it's like a cork. Doesn't cut through the water, but stays on top of the waves. It's definately a great fishing boat for where I am on Kootenay Lake.

I bring it to Barkley Sound every year though. Yes, one nice thing is that it is light for trailering. No problems when fishing on the inside. Takes a bit of a beating when heading offshore. Although we usually only head out 5 miles. Not sure if I'd like to try and make a run to the Big Bank.

Just bought a new 2825 Kingfisher. Outstanding boats. If you want a sea trial I will be happy to do that for you.

Just bought a new 2825 Kingfisher. Outstanding boats. If you want a sea trial I will be happy to do that for you.

I'm rolling with twin 140's. Problem is, you will have to prop 'em low to plane a big boat with a single 150 in the event of engine failure..

Suzuki's eh ??

I'm rolling with twin 140's. Problem is, you will have to prop 'em low to plane a big boat with a single 150 in the event of engine failure..

Suzuki's eh ??

Back