Aluminum vs. Fiberglass....Pursuit vs. Harbercraft

SerengetiGuide

Hi guys,

Just wanted your opinion on some stuff. We are looking to get another boat for this upcoming season, so we can have 3 going this summer, and want one from 25' to 27' so it is trailerable to go from Hardy to the Coal Harbour. Just wanted to know what each of you think the adv/disadv of aluminum and fiberglass are....as well as the makes Pursuit and Harbercraft. We have a 30ft Pursuit already...and am very pleased with it, but the harbercrafts also look like amazing boats, especially for fishing. Never owned an aluminum boat before either, so it'd be nice to get some input from you guys. Thanks a lot,

David
Serengeti Fishing Charters

For aluminum boats, did you consider Silver Streak from Sooke — very nice and really soft riding. Fiberglass boats by Jenkins Marine in Victoria are very well made with high gunwales for safety.
Main reason to go to a tin boat is they are lighter and can be powered onto plane with less hp, which translates into big fuel savings, especially when using dual engines that you should have off the west coast. Unfortunately, alum boats look like s**t after only a year in saltwater:( Alum has gotten really expensive over last few years, so buying new is going to cost you.
I've fished from both glass and aluminum and find as in all things, you get what you pay for.
Looks and upkeep, adv glass. Ride and quiet, adv glass. Toughness, adv alum. Fuel econ, adv alum. Cost, about same these days for really well-made boats.

the jenkins are nice boats, nice lines, have good construction,but horrible </u> finishing. The trays on the gunwhales beside the deck on my firends newly arrived boat looked like a hacksaw cut it out. The wood trimming aroundthe door into the cabin wwas not only crooked, but one end hung out 2'' while the other end was flush.

and in reply to topic, pursuits are very nie but you problyknow from having them they are not most hardcore pure fishing vessels around, they are cruising/fishing or "comfortable" fishing boats i guess... harbercrafts i agree look very nice but they are not one of the "heavy duty" builds from my understanding. You might want to look at silver streak, ironwood, grady white, shamrock, mako, parkers (very nice cuddy cabin(pilot house) boat line) and sea sprot/osprey... but try to get the new 350 on w/e you decide on ;)

I think a Harbourcraft is one of the most beautifully finished boats you can buy, but they are far from a good big water boat. The odd one has tried to follow me to the Bank, and if there is any any kind of weather, I usually loose 'em. The bigger Silver Streaks and North West Alumicraft's are pretty dang good, and quite overbuilt in my books.

Just a sort of side note,keep in mind what your clients like, they think in terms of what looks nice,and what is comfy,eg.smooth ride,clean, roomy head.We just did a charter a few days ago first time my wife was on the water in 15 years she was more concerned about the creature comforts,as it worked out it was a first class charter, and she wants to go back next year.DAN

I'd say that the Pursuits are pretty good in terms of fishing boats....before we got ours we checked into grady, whaler, and campion. It surpassed em all for the smaller details...they were just done a lot better on the pursuit. and just checked out silver streaks website...look like nice boats..def look into those as well. we want the boat to be finished as nice as possible while still be great for fishing...as many of our clients are used to the "finer things in life"...so they kind of expect that while fishing as well i'd imagine. But definately want the boat to look good over time...and be as durable as possible as well. Not sure if aluminum or fiber is the way to go. And the jenkins marine boats are pretty nice....2 companies up our way use them...they handle the water pretty well and get the job done fishing as far as i can tell...but their website only seems to be one page..which is pretty unfortunate.....

David

I just got a Monaro 27 and really like it. Its well built, good for offshore, nice deep V hull and hard chine. Stand up head, galley, comfortable bunks. Fishes pretty well with a big swim grid for landing. I got a Volvo D4 260 diesel but if you went with the D6 you could get the slow controls for trolling on the mains. I use a Yamaha 9.9 with remote control.

Dan

I own a harbercraft....excellent company to deal with..My boat has been in the salt for 3 years and still looks good, just like any 3 year old fiberglass boat that is used for 40-50 days of fishing, etc in a year. If I ever wanted another boat it, would be a kingfisher by harbercraft.

Hmmm...

As someone who has run both type of boats for extended hours in professional settings, a properly cared for Fibreglass boat will give you many many years of troublefree service. That 30 foot Pursuit gives you comfort, safety, and seaworthiness that NO aluminum boat will offer you..and I don't care what aluminum boat you're looking at. Not to say that aluminum boats are crap, but quite simply the maintenance issue is almost non existent with Aluminum relatively speaking. Same animal, different challenges.

Not sure what year your Pursuit is, but stick with it, maintain it and you should be very happy.

The other question is, if you have an aluminum boat, think of it this way, the cost/value of your boat fluctuates with the price of aluminum. There's an indirect and somewhat distant relationship there, but if you asked me, the market for your Pursuit is far greater than an aluminum boat.

Just my .02

As for you calling your Pursuit better than a Grady, that's something that's simply untrue, although, I could be biased... ;)

Either way Serengeti, they're all good when they're new... hehe...

I had a look at the Pursuit site and recognize the boat. They are pretty nice. The style is very similar to the Monaro and I would love to put them side by side. The Monaro is a high quality hand made boat with a loyal group of owners. The Monaro has the advantage of being made locally and is totally (well almost) customizable.

Check them out

www.monaromarine.com

If you visit the shop, tell them Joann and Dan sent you. I think they are building a new 27 right now.

HI
We just took delivery of our new boat 2008 hewescraft ocean pro 22ft, with 225 yammie and 8t kicker. I love this boat it handles the watet way better than my last boat a 24 bayliner that was twice the weight. Hewes craft also makes a 26 foot boat called the alaskan. The are made in the states but now that our dollar is so good you can get a pretty good deal on them.
IMG_2609_1.jpg
[/IMG]

Yeah, checked out all the other companies suggested. Like the Osprey's as well, but for even less money can get a Pursuit which in my opinion is better quality, and great for fishing as well. Thanks islandgirl for the info, do you fish out of hardy at all? The Kingfisher is a great series, I guess it all depends on which we can find the best deal on too, right now looking like a 26' Pursuit, but I may be able to find some better deals on the Harbercraft. I saw a Harbercraft up in Hardy this year, think it was a 28fter, not sure what year, probably new, but it looked great in the water and was there all year as far as i can remember, didnt seem to be looking worn....does this happen easily/often to the aluminum boats?

David

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

I saw a Harbercraft up in Hardy this year, think it was a 28fter, not sure what year, probably new, but it looked great in the water and was there all year as far as i can remember, didnt seem to be looking worn....does this happen easily/often to the aluminum boats?

David

Pretty much all of the Harbour Crafts I have seen seem to wear nut much at all, the fit and finish on them is first rate.

Am i the only one that drools at those pursuits by the bridge in comox? man oh man those are nice boats. Serengeti i cant imagine looking to upgrade from the ride you have now its already unreal

Am i the only one that drools at those pursuits by the bridge in comox? man oh man those are nice boats. Serengeti i cant imagine looking to upgrade from the ride you have now its already unreal

Back