Aluminum vs. Fiberglass....Pursuit vs. Harbercraft

Juandesooka .. I have a 18ft Starcraft cutty 130hp Volvo I/O. I have been bringing it back to life after it sat idle for a few years. I do find the layout to be great for fishing. It’s nice to have a cutty (bedroom) for my wingman to snooze when the bite is off. The “kitchen table” holds all the junk that seems to collect on the day. IMO it is a great boat for 2 people. Not sure I would go far offshore without a major rebuild to the hull. At 1650 LB dry it is easy to trailer. My biggest complaint is how the boat gets pushed around by the wind when on the kicker motor. The bow acts like a sail and the stern is too heavy. The center of gravity is too far back. I know I need to move weight forward. It’s not a big deal if you have a wingman to steer but alone it’s hard to drop lines or net fish. The deep V means you need to have someone shift their weight to the opposite side when you’re putting a line down. Pounding waves will loosen or break rivets on an old boat. Rivets can be fixed if you can reach them and a good pump is a must. Corrosion is a problem on the hull but can be repaired. I would prefer it to be an outboard but maybe some day. Heard that one is for sale in the Buy and Sell for 1 boat buck. If you have any questions PM me. GLG

Juandesooka .. I have a 18ft Starcraft cutty 130hp Volvo I/O. I have been bringing it back to life after it sat idle for a few years. I do find the layout to be great for fishing. It’s nice to have a cutty (bedroom) for my wingman to snooze when the bite is off. The “kitchen table” holds all the junk that seems to collect on the day. IMO it is a great boat for 2 people. Not sure I would go far offshore without a major rebuild to the hull. At 1650 LB dry it is easy to trailer. My biggest complaint is how the boat gets pushed around by the wind when on the kicker motor. The bow acts like a sail and the stern is too heavy. The center of gravity is too far back. I know I need to move weight forward. It’s not a big deal if you have a wingman to steer but alone it’s hard to drop lines or net fish. The deep V means you need to have someone shift their weight to the opposite side when you’re putting a line down. Pounding waves will loosen or break rivets on an old boat. Rivets can be fixed if you can reach them and a good pump is a must. Corrosion is a problem on the hull but can be repaired. I would prefer it to be an outboard but maybe some day. Heard that one is for sale in the Buy and Sell for 1 boat buck. If you have any questions PM me. GLG

Thanks GLG. That kind of summed up what I figured...good layout, light trailering, but too corky. Do-able, but maybe not ideal? I think I'll keep looking. If you want to change over to an o/b, there's what looks to be a good one for sale on Whidbey Island in Washington, from Seattle craigslist. $6000 with a 1997 90hp outboard with low hours, all redone recently. PM if you want details on it or google it.

It's been fun looking at boats for sale in US craigslist, Seattle's a very busy bulletin board. Different boats down there. Not so much of the good old Double Eagle, Hourston, Sangster runabouts. I like the look of the Arima's and C-Dory's.

I'm more looking for a motor, which I haven't really found any better deals down there than here. Some interesting boat packages though.

Thanks GLG. That kind of summed up what I figured...good layout, light trailering, but too corky. Do-able, but maybe not ideal? I think I'll keep looking. If you want to change over to an o/b, there's what looks to be a good one for sale on Whidbey Island in Washington, from Seattle craigslist. $6000 with a 1997 90hp outboard with low hours, all redone recently. PM if you want details on it or google it.

It's been fun looking at boats for sale in US craigslist, Seattle's a very busy bulletin board. Different boats down there. Not so much of the good old Double Eagle, Hourston, Sangster runabouts. I like the look of the Arima's and C-Dory's.

I'm more looking for a motor, which I haven't really found any better deals down there than here. Some interesting boat packages though.

quote:Originally posted by alerica

Just bought a new 2825 Kingfisher. Outstanding boats. If you want a sea trial I will be happy to do that for you.

May have to take you up on that one sometime in the future! Where abouts are you at alerica? And thanks so much for the offer,really appreciate it!! I guess a lot of it is timeline and when we decide to get the boat, whether it be Fall or Spring?!

David

Oak bay marina. Ask my contact information at Vela Yacht sales.
Roberto.
quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

Just bought a new 2825 Kingfisher. Outstanding boats. If you want a sea trial I will be happy to do that for you.

May have to take you up on that one sometime in the future! Where abouts are you at alerica? And thanks so much for the offer,really appreciate it!! I guess a lot of it is timeline and when we decide to get the boat, whether it be Fall or Spring?!

David

Oak bay marina. Ask my contact information at Vela Yacht sales.
Roberto.
quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

David

Ok, sounds good. I'll remember that and may take you up on it. I'll let ya know if I'm down that way.

fuel economy has to be a big factor these days. you can fish/boat twice as much if your costs are low. you cant beat power catamarans for fuel economy,stability and seaworthiness!

True, but I don't think cadamarans are too good for charters lol :p But in terms of having a personal craft that is prob a good idea. Are cadamarans even good in rough water??

David

catamarans are excellent in rough water! they dont roll like deep v's so your customers wont be puking as much! undeniably the best ride on the water. they are the boat of choice for many charter captains in australia and florida. they use half as much fuel as a deep v. check out www.glacierbatcats.com or www.worldcat.com

I noticed through out this post no mentioned Lifetimer Boats that are built in Duncan.

Any particular reason?

the grady white tiger cat is one o the worst hulls ever made in the lat decade, theres a reason grady discontinued it after a few years, horrible design.
the saying goes, once you go cat, you never go back.

It had nothing to do with the ride...the tigercat just never sold well... I've been on one and they are fantastic and would make a pretty good charter vessel up here...not the best but descent...the 265 express model is one of the best boats they ever made and they discontinued that as well...nothing to do with the ride or design...just bad marketing and they never sold enough.
The grady market revolves around the east coast states and florida...

I've never really been a huge fan of the cadamaran design for fishing. But Grady's are good boats..I'm bias and like Pursuits more as the little things on the Pursuit are higher quality. But I know Pursuit just built a brand new factory down in Florida and their goal is to rival Grady and Boston Whaler, and I honestly think they can do it..just real good quality boats. Combine great fishing areas plus quite a bit of luxery. Around same price if not slightly cheaper than Grady too. Have you stopped by at Parker and gone in the Pursuits Chad? Are you getting adding a boat for next summer?

David

No doubt pursuits are a fantastic boat...i'm looking at one right now as one for next season.
One thing to remeber is re-sail value and for some reason or another ...pursuits haven't made it to that next level yet...here anyways!
Not to say they aren't a great boat by no means em I saying they are not along the same lines as a grady...just a fact.
They have come along way's in the last 5 years as a company for sure.

quote:Originally posted by richmake

No doubt pursuits are a fantastic boat...i'm looking at one right now as one for next season.
One thing to remeber is re-sail value and for some reason or another ...pursuits haven't made it to that next level yet...here anyways!
Not to say they aren't a great boat by no means em I saying they are not along the same lines as a grady...just a fact.
They have come along way's in the last 5 years as a company for sure.

Are you looking at the 26'? I'm pretty sure that's what we are getting for next season. Gonna be running two or just upgrading? And I think the name up here isn't as well recognized and I think that has a lot to do with it...not necessarily the boat quality.

Back