84 lbs landed in the Queen Charlottes!

not over 80. other then skeena fish thats a good ocean caught spring. i would have gave him the wood shampoo.

Demo - I will bluntly admit that I am very envious of the fish and the fact that you had the integrity to let it swim away. I will never, ever question the weight of any hog that is released...way to go man!

Last edited by a moderator:
Never fails with big fish. Demo knows whats up. Great fish and definitely an 80 plus fish. Most of these people commenting have not even seen a fish over 60, just talking s&@t cause they can and will never shake the hand with a fish like that. I do admit the "wood Shampoo" is the funniest way i have heard of bonking a fish. As for the 750 vs 800 who gives a ****, he is not going for the IGFA here. with the world record at 126lbs why is it so hard to believe someone can catch a 80? Peregrine vs QCL never ends. as for taping out hawgs, been there done that and found the 775 method works the best!, Oh snap!

Id rather catch and keep four twenties than kill a single eighty for the meat alone. Release it I would. But a picture first!

It just seems the bragging rights and thrill at the dock are so short lived. Once it's all bucked up the only proof are the photos anyways. I always hate tossing such a beautiful head and tail in the garbage. An eighty looks no differant than all the other chunks in the freezer. So letting it go makes no differance to me. I can get the same amount of meat from a few others combined. At least that fish has a chance to spread it's genes and you got the photos. Win win IMHO

To each their own.

Id rather catch and keep four twenties than kill a single eighty for the meat alone. Release it I would. But a picture first!

It just seems the bragging rights and thrill at the dock are so short lived. Once it's all bucked up the only proof are the photos anyways. I always hate tossing such a beautiful head and tail in the garbage. An eighty looks no differant than all the other chunks in the freezer. So letting it go makes no differance to me. I can get the same amount of meat from a few others combined. At least that fish has a chance to spread it's genes and you got the photos. Win win IMHO

To each their own.
X2x2x2 Driller

To each their own.

What he said!

Maybe in order to silence the keyboards of the haters on here, I might suggest bringing a bathroom scale on your boat and jumping on it with fish in arms to work out the digits. But I guess they'd start asking to have your scale calibrated and want to see photos of the scale. KOOKS!

Fish of a lifetime for Guide and guest. divide by 750/800 ? really ? people are debating that ?..... It is a huge fish, meaning bigger than 99% of us will ever see, yet alone catch. Had it been whacked and shown hanging from a scale there would be no debate as to the weight.
The fact that whatever the actual weight, the decision was made to take a couple pics and let it swim. Well done !

Ignore the keyboard cowboys. The fish is huge, the story is great, and I am glad its not getting freezer burn somewhere.

I made a cradle for the season on 96 when the west coast of Van Isl was catch and release for springs. I knew my Nootka Sound clients would want an official weight for the bigger fish. I draped a landscaping fabric over a pair of wooden handles (similar to what was used on Canadian Sportfishing show) and a couple of eyelets to put a scale hook through. Simply guided the fish in the water into the sling, attached the scale, lifted out of the water long enough to get the weight then subtracted the slings weight. Worked great.

It's pretty chrome for a fish that size. It is very clean, no war wounds, which is rare for such an educated fish. I change my original estimate from 70 to 75, no disrespect to the guide or clients.

LOL.... was up there that year. THat has the characteristics of a seven year old fish. It just looks the part. This other 84 is just waaaay cleaner

Whoa, hold on guys..... may not have been. Have to consult my trusty albums. Stay tuned.....lol

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL.... was up there that year. THat has the characteristics of a seven year old fish. It just looks the part. This other 84 is just waaaay cleaner

whoops i guess loss of memory eh. I WAS there, I remember they would not let anyone touch it let alone pick it up! What a hawg! I remembering picking up my lines ten minutes before Bobby Hooked it from because someone called a pink bite at Parker! It was that slow that day! just shows stick and stay. that one was 49"x36" Made a huge stir on the Coast as it was at the time second or third largest Ocean Sport caught Chinook. That truly is hawg alley from Langara to Masset. I dont think there is another section on the coast that can post as many over fiddys in a year.

Back