84 lbs landed in the Queen Charlottes!

yo mama

Just heard the news. It is a release so weight done by formula but anyway you want to say it, its a monster!

325088_10150251108291184_206563311183_7655218_2991032_o.jpg

308281_10150251204511184_206563311183_7656578_6753725_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what a fish !
nice to see them releasing a trophy like that.
guy in the yellow hat looks a little bewildered.;)

Yeah, 'Mega-fish' for sure.

Yellow-hatter is a broad I think. Don't like holdin' slimy-stuff.

The 82lber landed and scale weighed measured 49"x36" this one measure by a guy i know doesn't stretch the tape measured out to 51.5" length X 35.0" girth. It be all of 80 plus.

Ya, from the pictures it doesn't look like 84lbs to me either...but it is huge...i'd say 73 anyway...wow, what a hog, now i can catch it :D hahaha where do you think this fish was going?

You are doing your math wrong. it's length x girth x girth divided by 750 not divided by 800. Try it again. I checked it against an offical chart and the chart doesn't go past 51 inches in lenth. On the chart, 51 x 35 is 83.3. That fish was 51.5 x 35 that makes it 84.12 lbs. You peregrin boys will just have to deal.

Ya, from the pictures it doesn't look like 84lbs to me either...but it is huge...i'd say 73 anyway...wow, what a hog, now i can catch it :D hahaha where do you think this fish was going?

Really? you think that's only 73. Have you ever touches a fish over 75? I have. Infact I'm in the picture. That fish was taped out perfectly by the QCL fish master who knows what he's doing and that math works. Why do you guys have to try and cut down a major achievement. Biggest fish in QCL history. Biggest sport caught fish in Haida Qwaii history. Be happy for a fellow guide. Calling that fish a 73 and saying that it's not as big as it really is insulting and sour grapes. Sad really.

You are doing your math wrong. it's length x girth x girth divided by 750 not divided by 800. Try it again. I checked it against an offical chart and the chart doesn't go past 51 inches in lenth. On the chart, 51 x 35 is 83.3. That fish was 51.5 x 35 that makes it 84.12 lbs. You peregrin boys will just have to deal.

First... VERY NICE FISH! GOOD JOB! And... GOOD JOB on the release!
Be pround of that fish!

Really? you think that's only 73. Have you ever touches a fish over 75? I have. Infact I'm in the picture. That fish was taped out perfectly by the QCL fish master who knows what he's doing and that math works. Why do you guys have to try and cut down a major achievement. Biggest fish in QCL history. Biggest sport caught fish in Haida Qwaii history. Be happy for a fellow guide. Calling that fish a 73 and saying that it's not as big as it really is insulting and sour grapes. Sad really.

Before anyone else starts jumping up and down… No one knows where that fish came from or is going, and at this point no one will ever know. It was released, by personal choice! And, bet no DNA samples were taken! J

As far as the actual weight, just stop! All those published "official formulas" are estimates and only as good as the person using them. End result is that is a nice fish! It was released, it is not any official record and does anyone but the angler, guide, and lodge really care? Mount a nice picture of it, hang it on a wall and enjoy the memories! That very well could be a fish of a life time! J

Now before anyone starts arguing, about the actual weight, one can use any “official” calculation they want - it was NOT put on a scale and most I know can't and aren't qualified to tell from pictures. Both formulas discussed are correct. The dividing by 800 is normally used by most of us for Chinook; however the 750 is also correct. If you go with the 750 it will probably be more accurate if the fish is long and slender. The 800 if short and fat. And that is only IMHO! So, if you believe:

the fish is short and fat, you would be correct in using the : William H. Wood Formula: Length X Girth Squared Divided by 800 (L & G expresssed in inches). That would be 51.5 X 35 X 35 / 800 = 78.86 That .86 equals approximately 13 ounces, making the fish 78 pounds 13 ounces.

if you believe the fish is long and thin you would be correct in using the: Modern Adjustment for Salmonids: Length X Girth Squared Divided by 750. That would be 51.5 X 35 X 35 / 750. Feel free to say 84.12. That .12 works out to be 84 pounds 2 ounces.

Take your pick! They are both published as "official charts." Just for giggles, I’ll give you a couple more published “official” ways to calculate a salmons weight! J

Maunsell's"Fisherman's Vade Mecum" formula (L X 4/3 ) X G sqrd / 1000 (L & G ininches) = Lbs. 51.5 X 1.3333 X 35 X 35 divided by 1000 = 84.10 pounds.

Gowan Formula: K (constant factor of 41.4) X L X G Sqrd =Kgs. (L & G expressed in meters), Length 51.5 X 0.0254 = 1.3081 meters, Width 35 X 0.0254 = 0.889 meters; 41.4 X 1.3081 X 0.889 X 0.889 = 42.80 X 2.2046 = 94.357 pounds!

FYI... even though published, if any fishmaster was to try to use the last one... I would probably just have to call B.S. :eek:

Someone's ego needs boosting eh... great fish, but stop the pouting because a few people think it looks seventy something pounds...geeeze...either way...

Funny how that is when you release of fish, everybody and there dog thinks they can tell the size from looking the the picture. It is a great fish. I have had the chance to work up there where we did years of tests with those formulas weighing dead fish and matching the measurements to that and 90 percent of the large fish would be within two pounds of its actual weight. Yes it was a thing that peregrine would use the 800 and we would use the 750 formula. bottom line if there were so worried about its weight to impress the world they would of bonked it. Be happy that there are still these sort of fish even in our ocean still.

Great fish. Don't waste too much time to defend yourself on here, as it's moot and pointless. If you used the calculation that's good enough for me. Very cool that you let it go too!.
That fish is a monster.

What a DANDY of a SPRING !

Congrats to Guide and Anglers and good on you all for the Catch and release.

How Pathetic of those that are #$#^$$$$#%#@%T!!!!!! about the weight .......... ya sound like a bunch of spoiled kids arguing over the last candy ........ get over it !

Sure wish I would catch one like that !

HT

Amazing catch!!! WOW I can only wish for something close to that one day!

The people pissing back and forth on weight are probally like me jealous as all out.

Congrats again WOW...

Back