84 lbs landed in the Queen Charlottes!

First off, forget the weight. They made their judgement that is it.
What I commend is the releasing of it. It takes some pretty fantastic sportsmen to allow a fish that size to be released, hopefully to spawn for future generations.
Well done, I think I would have real problems releasing a fish that size.
Congratulations.

He probably jumped in after they released it Tailspin! I would! Ya thats the great thing about up there you really just never know whats hitting your line. This time of year up there can be really slow too, we wouldnt see to many hawgs so to see this would be a huge suprise.

Congrats on a great catch and even greater release! Amazing Fish!

The release trumps the weight; the pictures trump the formula.

A round of drinks for the guy who pushed the C&R button instead of hanging it on a wall...

He probably jumped in after they released it Tailspin! I would! Ya thats the great thing about up there you really just never know whats hitting your line. This time of year up there can be really slow too, we wouldnt see to many hawgs so to see this would be a huge suprise.

No kidding Mama! That 57 Peaks got was nice too! Imagine if you released it and a sealion grabbed it in front of your eyes. What a pig for this time of year. Maybe we will see some in September again down here, just maybe.

peakmans57.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Who was the guide? I know my neighbor Tom Thompson's son has caught a few giants with clients out of the Queen Charlottes and released them.

Outstanding fish! I would be interested in what the battle was like and how it difficult it was landing such a giant. Also would be nice to learn more details on weather, tides, bait, rod and reel set up. That was a fish of several lifetimes and few can boast the experience of landing such a fish. Congratulations on a job well done including releasing the fish.

Beautiful fish. Great release.

Funny, I have seen fish over 70 and into the low eighties that truly look like knarly beasts. Look at those kenai slabs. Looooooong and deep. Most of the ones Ive seen in the Charlottes are usually short and fat. You can see the belly hanging and drooping between your hands as you hoist the fish for a pic. This one just looks so clean and trim. Almost as if it could easily hit 90 lbs yet before it gets to it's max size.

I think this is what may be confusing some of the ney sayers to it's estimated 84lbs.

I say who cares. Dont make the guy want to kill a slab in the future just to prove it's weight. The guy is beyond having to prove anything anyways

Last edited by a moderator:
I lose my mind when a 40 comes up. 80 + would be unreal. I would also be curious as to what the fight would be like. I assume you would have to chase it then there would be a long standoff as it stays out of the nets reach. Awsome fish.

I heard it was half an hour fight. The funny thing is with those super monsters (over 60lbs), they dont usually fight very hard believe it or not. My two largest i had up there were both in the 60's and came in 10mins and 15mins. I have had 30's fight harder. saying that I have had 50's take as long as 3 hours too bring in! by the end of it i want to cut the line as i saw it right away and thought it was low 40's so the suspense wasnt there to keep me wanting to fish it that long. ended being a 54! worth the extra hours....

agreed with many others that is the best looking 84# fish i've seen. most over 50 or 60 start to look more like monsters than chinooks but this one was a real beauty. Best of all was the release of this hog back to waters so hopefully it can go breed and produce a whole whack of strong fish. Nice work by the guide and guests up there at QCL!

No way youve played any fish for three hours mama. Maybe a guest but ive seen you lay into them the way they ought to be. Any experienced guy who doesnt let emotions in the way can have a fantastic and spirited battle with any slab in a reletively short amount of time. Most guests or less experienced anglers get so nervous that they just allow the fish too much latitude during the battle. Long long fights and exhausted fish are the result. Fish battled hard where you take every inch you can have a better chance of survival. Less lactic acid. Like mama says they may have the weight but a 30 will often times fight much better than anything larger.

Wild!

Wonder if Peakman got a look at it Mama?

nope, peaks didn't get to see it. Only one other guide plus fish master keith got to see it. I wasn't interested in taking it back to the dock. Anyone who would kill a fish like that should be put on the hook themselves.

Outstanding fish! I would be interested in what the battle was like and how it difficult it was landing such a giant. Also would be nice to learn more details on weather, tides, bait, rod and reel set up. That was a fish of several lifetimes and few can boast the experience of landing such a fish. Congratulations on a job well done including releasing the fish.

So to answer your questions, we got it on a hearing in a teaser head with a tight roll. Fishing at 45 feet. I think it was a flood tide. The rod was a stiff 11.5 foot guide rod with an Island MRS and 30 pound main line. 40 pound test leader. The weather was pretty decent. Light rain in the morning and overcast all day. As for the fight, it was over in about 30 minutes and the first 15 minutes was a long slow run. I figured it was a salmon shark or something because it just ran forever slowly. Like I'm a massive fish and I'm just gonna go for a swim and you can't do anything about it. When he stopped, he let us take about half the line back before he went for another run. After that he just came along parallel to the boat until we were able to bring him without about 150 feet then he surfaces and to my surprise, it was a chinook. He went for a few short runs and then was to tired to fight. When we got him to the boat he rolled over onto his side and I put the net under him. Game over. I never had a chance to chance him because we were into a double header. The other one was 31 lbs.

The cleanest looking Hawg I think I have ever seen. QCL had another from last year that was I think 73 lbs. Its on a calendar I have, and that one was really clean too. Usually they tend to have a few scars, battle sign or scale loss at that size, but that boy is got the bling ;-)

Congrats to your client and to the guide. Nice job. and congrats on the release. If I caught a fish that size I have to admit it would be dead as soon as it was landed. But that's my selfish side.

Very clean looking fish and in prime shape. Imagine what it has gone through to get that big and old!!! Congrats on the fish of a lifetime and deciding to let it go. Those questioning the weight should give some thought to why so few people do decide to let trophy fish go. They aren't claiming any official records so leave it alone. People who BS don't take pictures.

Ya true HL i dont play them too soft haha. It was my guests. I have had one with "twostroke" onboard which did take me over an hour. amazed me how much power those things can pull out of there bones.

Right on Demo. Im guessing Klash for the location? Always big pigs on the first corner... Shooter, Shooter pick me up? I think you might want to come take a picture of this one! Move it!

Spectacular fish and outstanding sportsmanship and conservtion to release it. I hope it spawns and that all the eggs hatch and all the fry make it out to sea. I hope he gets a free replica mount from the lodge for releasing it.

Back