84 lbs landed in the Queen Charlottes!

Wow, is all I can say. REGARDLESS of the actual "to the ounce" weight, Everybody involved with catching , and releasing that fish can walk with the upmost pride in what they accomplished. Maximum kudos to all of you!

It's a pretty humbling experience to have been a part of catching a fish that big. The guest didn't argue at all about letting it go. We were both stoked to get some pictures with it and see it on it's way. I really would have liked to get the weight inked and have my name on an official record but there was no way I was going to kill that beauty. A big thanks to all of you who support our decision to let it go and to all of you who are throwing out congradulations. He's still out there boys. If you see him, stroked his belly and pat him on his head for me then let him go. He's going to make some beautiful babies. Cheers
oh and I got him at yachts bay.

It's a pretty humbling experience to have been a part of catching a fish that big. The guest didn't argue at all about letting it go. We were both stoked to get some pictures with it and see it on it's way. I really would have liked to get the weight inked and have my name on an official record but there was no way I was going to kill that beauty. A big thanks to all of you who support our decision to let it go and to all of you who are throwing out congradulations. He's still out there boys. If you see him, stroked his belly and pat him on his head for me then let him go. He's going to make some beautiful babies. Cheers
oh and I got him at yachts bay.

Even better when you make the provincial paper!

http://www.theprovince.com/travel/West+lands+Haida+Gwaii/5296964/story.html

Now you'll have to keep catching monsters as everyone's going to ask for you when they go fishing haha.

Again, that's an amazing fish.

Yachts Bay.....Just around the corner from Klash...good guess Mama. didn't spend much time in Yachts during my years in the area, always looked good though. Beauty Fish!!

TT

Took an old English guy in there and hooked a couple nice smaller double headers. What a nice suprise to take the 80 out of there. Looks like somewhere a hog would like to take a leisurely stroll through.

Yeah i didn't really fish there much last year but this year I came to the realization that all the fish coming from the upper west side have to travel by yatz to get to the birds. So it only makes sense to spend some time there. I have been killing it there but now that I pulled a hog out of there, it's a friggin parking lot. There were about 20 boats there today. Battle fishing anyone?

Right on, what a beauty, that whole area from Green Pt right on down to the Mazarado Islands are some sweet fishing grounds, I spent ten seasons guiding up there and really miss the area, even more so now after seeing that large one you put back.

just for the record i dont work for peregrine and my 63 isnt 69 as it would be on your charts.... you could have left it alone but divided by 750 is for puclicity .... not even close if the fish is over 40...... hog either way

just for the record i dont work for peregrine and my 63 isnt 69 as it would be on your charts.... you could have left it alone but divided by 750 is for puclicity .... not even close if the fish is over 40...... hog either way

Hahahahahaha, you can take the boy out of peregrin........

Really? you think that's only 73. Have you ever touches a fish over 75? I have. Infact I'm in the picture. That fish was taped out perfectly by the QCL fish master who knows what he's doing and that math works. Why do you guys have to try and cut down a major achievement. Biggest fish in QCL history. Biggest sport caught fish in Haida Qwaii history. Be happy for a fellow guide. Calling that fish a 73 and saying that it's not as big as it really is insulting and sour grapes. Sad really.

Demo
Congrats man....that is so awesome I just don't have words to describe how amazing that is. To be able to guide a guest to a fish and experience their excitement is something I cherish , and miss, since I presently no longer guide. To be able to experience guiding a quest to a record fish such as this is a moment in life you willl never forget my friend. A fish half that size is a gift from nature and you have experienced something most will not. Encouraging the release of that fish makes you and your guest a better man than me. While I have bragged about releasing a chinook over 40 ibs in Vancouver, I have to admit I had to ......I already had my limit. I do however know that watching a 40lber swim away was so gratifying. To watch an 84 lber swim away is something I can only dream of. Kudos to you and your guest.

great release and great fish. but along with others, i dont understand what the divided by 750 is?? why dont all lodges do that if it in turn just makes for more "hog" releases?? its all for the guests anyways, and i highly doubt top lodges such as west coast resorts divide by 800 to slim down there fish? however, awesome fish and awesome on the release.

great release and great fish. but along with others, i dont understand what the divided by 750 is?? why dont all lodges do that if it in turn just makes for more "hog" releases?? its all for the guests anyways, and i highly doubt top lodges such as west coast resorts divide by 800 to slim down there fish? however, awesome fish and awesome on the release.

no top lodges divide by 750
its all for marketing
I dont know why your arguing this.. its a fact... divided by 800 proper weight...divided by 750 .... tape out any fish over 40 lbs that comes to your dock the rest of the year..... maybe take pictures for us and we'll see what happens...... you will realize shortly after you do that 750 is way out

You guys are all funny as hell. it's 750 for long big fish. There is a post on here by a man who knows what he's talking about. My fish tapes out at 51.5 by 35. The official scale charts that have been used by all lodges and are spot on, state that a fish that is 51 by 35 is 83.3 pounds. the chart doesn't go any higher then 51 inches. Therefore if my fish was half an inch longer, it must be slightly bigger. So the math is obviously sound. That the last time I'm going to reply to the idiots that come on here to try and cut down a fish that is clearly as big as it was taped out to be and clearly a record. I guess you're right, I should have killed one of natures rarest fish. But then you would find something else to ***** about. Penis envy.

Dude.... dont even give any of this a second thought. You, your guest and the fish are all that matter. Not numbers or you would have killed it. You stepped up and did what many admire . Don't give into the ego now.

HL

You guys are all funny as hell. it's 750 for long big fish. There is a post on here by a man who knows what he's talking about. My fish tapes out at 51.5 by 35. The official scale charts that have been used by all lodges and are spot on, state that a fish that is 51 by 35 is 83.3 pounds. the chart doesn't go any higher then 51 inches. Therefore if my fish was half an inch longer, it must be slightly bigger. So the math is obviously sound. That the last time I'm going to reply to the idiots that come on here to try and cut down a fish that is clearly as big as it was taped out to be and clearly a record. I guess you're right, I should have killed one of natures rarest fish. But then you would find something else to ***** about. Penis envy.

Ego much? Anyone have a pin??....no penis envy here, I'm quite content with my 64 last year (was 51inches long as well actually...only 31.5 in girth though), but whether 75 or 84 or whatever (not doubting weight), I just simply said it doesn't look 84...sure it is, just commenting on the pictures...period.

**Using 750 on my 64 it comes out to 68lbs...and it is quite long and slender obviously being 51inches long and 31.5inches in girth....yet using 800 it comes out to 63.5lbs....sooo clearly the 750 props it up a bit**

Last edited by a moderator:
All i can say is congrats on the Giant Salmon and releasing it. I hope it spreads it's genes to another generation

Congratulations on the release. Well done. Something for us all to admire. Maybe I will next time too.

Back