300k boat for 200k

I’ve been looking for a 30’ Marlin or 285 Pursuit for 2 years. I’ve looked at 1000’s of boats on line in this size. Thousands. My budget is $200K CAD too. It’s harder than you think to buy pristine boats with newer power. And when they come up, you have to move quick. Here’s one that I thinks good value. It’ll need repower but I think it’s a solid looking boat.

She’s a beauty, I have been eyeing this one out, seems like it’s small pickings right now, hopefully a few more will come up for sale like last year.
No kicker, no rear helm, old electronics. Likely things are at the end of their lifespan. You'll drop 25k in odds and ends into that thing.

I’ve been looking for a 30’ Marlin or 285 Pursuit for 2 years. I’ve looked at 1000’s of boats on line in this size. Thousands. My budget is $200K CAD too. It’s harder than you think to buy pristine boats with newer power. And when they come up, you have to move quick. Here’s one that I thinks good value. It’ll need repower but I think it’s a solid looking boat.

I've heard such terrible things about the efficiency of these things. I have no idea why. Unless the guy with the podded commander is lying and the guys with these are exaggerating their burn fuel burn, it sounds like the commander by some miracle of physics has a more efficient hull.

Here’s another one I’ve been watching. Heater, bow thruster generator and it’s an 08. It’s got newer 350’s. Not sure about them. I hear different things from different people. This one’s clean.

I'd look for Tollycrafts, my friend just a 40 foot with modern diesels for a reasonable price. Guys are paying 500 to 1000 a month in moorage and will take offers right now if they also have a variable rate mortgage.

Buy one like this and send it, you have 50k for gas and 50k to finish the commander https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1986-tollycraft-30-sport-cruiser-8523539/

While the Grady is a very nice boat, it's not a family cruiser. You need somewhere to put a dinghy, and in our climate you want to be able to sit in a nice warm/dry cabin and still have a 360-degree view. As Sir Reel mentioned, there really are few boats out there that fit the bill. If someone gave me a brand new Cutwater 30, it would be for sale the next day, at a discount.

Another must for us is a forward facing seat for the Admiral. Many of the Bayliners, Tolly's and such only have a forward facing helm seat. When you're running somewhere it's nice to have, whomever, sitting beside you enjoying the ride, another set of eyes is handy too, lots of junk floating around these days.

I'd look for Tollycrafts, my friend just a 40 foot with modern diesels for a reasonable price. Guys are paying 500 to 1000 a month in moorage and will take offers right now if they also have a variable rate mortgage.

Buy one like this and send it, you have 50k for gas and 50k to finish the commander https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1986-tollycraft-30-sport-cruiser-8523539/
Was gonna say the same thing. The tolly 30 and 34 are great boats and very beamy. Been on a couple a was was blow away by the space.
You can find some in really good shape for less than half the cost.

Last edited:
the trawler/skiff is going to be your most fuel efficient and comfortable setup. Sure they’re slow 6-10knts leaves lots of time to make food, have conversations read a book do some maintenance under way or just have margaritas and relax. The lehmans are cheap to repair only downside is the trailering

the trawler/skiff is going to be your most fuel efficient and comfortable setup. Sure they’re slow 6-10knts leaves lots of time to make food, have conversations read a book do some maintenance under way or just have margaritas and relax. The lehmans are cheap to repair only downside is the trailering
Yes, hotel boat and fishing skiff.
Canoe Cove 41 with my small 16 fg skiff with the 50 etec.
I am fishing while the sleepyheads are still in the bunk.

Cost me $550 each way between PA and French Creek. Yes, he needed a pilot car. I thought that was pretty reasonable, all things considered.
She'd be a big bill with a pilot all the way from the south. 20-25k to ship (5-7k to the pilot Inc)?

Here’s another one I’ve been watching. Heater, bow thruster generator and it’s an 08. It’s got newer 350’s. Not sure about them. I hear different things from different people. This one’s clean.

Tick, tick. Nice hull but I wouldn't value the engines past What they give you on trade. You know which side of the fence I stand. At least the 350s don't knuckle and dime you to death, they mostly just detonate.

I do find the 330 attractive. I get the 350s as the 300s cruise at 4500 plus revs which seams exorbitant to me but the forums down south show guys doing it for years and getting good life. There's a big Grady with Zuk tripps that visits Ukee. That seems like the ticket if you can chew down the power bill. Believe it's a 330.

I also need a boat where’s there’s zero possibility of me even thinking about podding it, besides the fuel bill that’s the other reason I’m staying away from gas I/o

Here is a 2011 Commander 30 with the D4-225HP. Probbaly one of the last made.
Well equiped.

Morely is Mr. Commander and was involved with the factory for 25 years.

Morley Munro at 604-273-2226

My buddy had a line on a loaded grady, autopilot electronics all up to date. Wait and find a turn-key, don't pay for something and have to spend a year and 100k upgrading it.
I thinking I’m going to pass on a Grady or similar boat, decent outboards might be hard to find at a good price,
Anyways I need to get creative, I’m leaning towards something bigger than a 30,
Keep my commander, drop the top, get rid of the kitchen stand up bathroom and make it a fishing boat.
Everyone is happy, I have a boat and my wife has a yacht…perfect, we could save a lot of money on hotel bills…

Back