Family & Coastal Fishing 16ft Boat Reccos

LadyP

Hello, I am new to the forum, thank you for having me!

My background is in sail boats and dingy racing, but with having a family we want to move into a motor boat. We are looking for something that will do coastal fishing around Howe Sound/ Indian Arm, and we can explore the coast with the kids. We have a slip that will only fit a 16ft boat. I love the idea of an aluminium boat so we can run it up to beaches more easily, but struggling to find something in our budget (under $25k).

Any recommendations on fun run arounds that are good in the sea, so far we are considering:

16" Smoker Craft Osprey (would this be ok in coastal waters? Wondering if this would be too shallow?)
16" Double Eagle
16" Boston Whaler (But finding these quite expensive)

But open to other suggestions!
Let me know your thoughts!

My background is in sail boats and dingy racing, but with having a family we want to move into a motor boat. We are looking for something that will do coastal fishing around Howe Sound/ Indian Arm, and we can explore the coast with the kids. We have a slip that will only fit a 16ft boat. I love the idea of an aluminium boat so we can run it up to beaches more easily, but struggling to find something in our budget (under $25k).

Any recommendations on fun run arounds that are good in the sea, so far we are considering:

16" Smoker Craft Osprey (would this be ok in coastal waters? Wondering if this would be too shallow?)
16" Double Eagle

Spent years on Indian Arm, Vancouver Harbour and Pender Harbour with our 168 double eagle. No problem with 3 boys (when they were small) and wife. Very safe boat for protected waters and further abroad for those who are smart about the weather. With your sailing background I'm sure it won't be an issue. Would have loved more space, but we made it work. As soon as they became teenagers....... and me and the wife aged, we had to get a bigger boat and one with a head.

Spent years on Indian Arm, Vancouver Harbour and Pender Harbour with our 168 double eagle. No problem with 3 boys (when they were small) and wife. Very safe boat for protected waters and further abroad for those who are smart about the weather. With your sailing background I'm sure it won't be an issue. Would have loved more space, but we made it work. As soon as they became teenagers....... and me and the wife aged, we had to get a bigger boat and one with a head.
Thank you, great to hear your experience. We have three small but fierce daughters, the oldest of which is a lucky fisherwoman. Being our first powerboat we thought we would start small and have it on a slip. If it goes well, I am sure we will upgrade in size as they grow!

16 foot arima might be good as well, a tiny cuddy space might be nice for the girls. Either way biggest thing I would look for is seating for 4 under a top/canvas.
I spotted an arima for sale and was considering looking at it. I wasn't sure if it was a more complex/ higher maintenance boat than the simpler open top boats.

16" Double Eagle

I would look down in seattle IMHO way more around and with conversion on funds youll prob be able to buy under your budget or just at your budget. There isnt enough in canada that ive found thats worth while for the coin they are asking.

I would look down in seattle IMHO way more around and with conversion on funds youll prob be able to buy under your budget or just at your budget. There isnt enough in canada that ive found thats worth while for the coin they are asking.
Thanks for sharing these, yes they do seem more reasonable and well looked after.

If you look for an 18, not a 16, you will find it MUCH better . Another boat to consider is a 17 ft. Hourston. I had one for years and it was great for a MAX of three. Two if you were fishing or dropping traps.

If you look for an 18, not a 16, you will find it MUCH better . Another boat to consider is a 17 ft. Hourston. I had one for years and it was great for a MAX of three. Two if you were fishing or dropping traps.
Max 16’ boat is what they said based on the slip size.

If you can find one a later model whaler 150 Supersport would work awesome. Not tippy, rugged and easy to clean / trailer.

We had one from 2012 to 2015, it was a tender from a rvyc boat who changed it out for a rib. It had super low hours and cost me 15k back then, i'm guessing there has been quite a shift since in cost. It is still on a dock at little cates now.

Another nice small rig is a 16" Scout.

16" Double Eagle

I had a 16’ smoker craft with a 50 merc on it - one of the finest tinny’s I’ve owned. Great boat with high freeboard and handled rough waters. I fished it from Sidney to Sooke.

Nothing wrong with a double eagle, but I like the Malibu Tyee better - nicer layout and roomier.

I grew up sailing and moved to the dark side and have owned many powerboats. Currently have a 31 Eaglecraft - best boat I’ve ever had and the wife even approves!!

Good luck finding something.

i would get an 18 footer not a 16 footer.
i would also bump up your budget.
2 people can fit in a 16 footer comfortably.
4 people can fit in an 18 footer.
try one of these - budget friendly and made in canada. thinner hulls than west coast boats but if you dont misuse it they work ok - https://www.legendboats.com/fishing-boats/x-series/

i would get an 18 footer not a 16 footer.
i would also bump up your budget.
2 people can fit in a 16 footer comfortably.
4 people can fit in an 18 footer.
try one of these - budget friendly and made in canada. thinner hulls than west coast boats but if you dont misuse it they work ok - https://www.legendboats.com/fishing-boats/x-series/
I’m sure he would like to bump up his budget too, but that’s what a budget is.

I had a 16’ smoker craft with a 50 merc on it - one of the finest tinny’s I’ve owned. Great boat with high freeboard and handled rough waters. I fished it from Sidney to Sooke.

Nothing wrong with a double eagle, but I like the Malibu Tyee better - nicer layout and roomier.

I grew up sailing and moved to the dark side and have owned many powerboats. Currently have a 31 Eaglecraft - best boat I’ve ever had and the wife even approves!!

Good luck finding something.
Oh this is so useful, thank you! We are considering a 16" smoker craft osprey with a 90hp. So good to hear they work well for coastal fishing as I wondered if they where too flat bottomed for chop. Good to hear about the Tyee too.

Owning a 16' boat myself, I will say it's really only good for 2 people.
Any more and you're always bumping into each other.
And forget about fishing, it just doesn't work with more than 2 people.

Back