300k boat for 200k

Sttr

Crew Member
Starting this thread to prevent the other from completely derailing.
I need some advice from you guys on my next boat. I been dreaming about a 30 commander… something in the 2000’s .
I’m also open to get a bigger boat than the 30
but only if I could still fish from it. I m not looking for a boat to go fishing locally every weekend, more cruising. Speed would be nice but comfort out ways that. Any boat suggestions would be much appreciated,
Budget is 200K. Only diesel , or outboards,
No I/O gas. Thanks y’all

Starting this thread to prevent the other from completely derailing.
I need some advice from you guys on my next boat. I been dreaming about a 30 commander… something in the 2000’s .
I’m also open to get a bigger boat than the 30
but only if I could still fish from it. I m not looking for a boat to go fishing locally every weekend, more cruising. Speed would be nice but comfort out ways that. Any boat suggestions would be much appreciated,
Budget is 200K. Only diesel , or outboards,
No I/O gas. Thanks y’all
Commander 30 hits all those points. If you can find one get one with the Volvo D4 engines. Starting around late 2004 or newer. You might have to pay more than $200K but it will be worth more in 5 years too. My 2005 has gone up $50k in value since I purchased in 2017. I went to both the Vancouver and Seattle boat shows this year and could not find anything I would trade it for. Even an Ocean Sport 33 which is like a $700K US does not have the room or the command bridge of the Commander.

I’m pretty sure RC made this exact same thread (literally the same name I think) looking for options other than his commander 30 and is was decided that it didn’t really exist and he already had the best option for him. I believe your needs are similar, and they surely don’t go down in value so long as you take good care of them. Seems like you know what to do from some of your other posts, commander 30!

I’m pretty sure RC made this exact same thread (literally the same name I think) looking for options other than his commander 30 and is was decided that it didn’t really exist and he already had the best option for him. I believe your needs are similar, and they surely don’t go down in value so long as you take good care of them. Seems like you know what to do from some of your other posts, commander 30!
LoL, I know, but I’m not as witty as that guy…

The commander 30 is just a sexy boat.
Something like a big Grady seems appealing just because I can throw it on a trailer, but hard to find something with low hours that’s reasonably priced.
I’m also thinking about something bigger, like the size of a 4588 bayliner, and keep my 26 commander, drop the top and make that into a fishing machine I can tow around.

That’s a nice boat, how much you think all in to bring it up here?
275k CAD to your door roughly. Just the conversion on 160k USD is 220 CAD at live mid market rates. So add your 12%, a trailer, and shipping costs, you’re in the ballpark at 275.

The commander 30 is just a sexy boat.
Something like a big Grady seems appealing just because I can throw it on a trailer, but hard to find something with low hours that’s reasonably priced.
I’m also thinking about something bigger, like the size of a 4588 bayliner, and keep my 26 commander, drop the top and make that into a fishing machine I can tow around.
Yes the big Grady can be on a trailer...but it is 11' 6" wide...

Yes the big Grady can be on a trailer...but it is 11' 6" wide...
Yeah not much difference between the Grady/ commander really on the trailer side. Shipping might be exorbitant at 11.5 wide. I'm not up on my oversize permits in the states but you might need a pilot car in certain states? If not I'd suspect there will be some daylight or day restrictions all making it expensive. That's a heavy tow too.

Yeah not much difference between the Grady/ commander really on the trailer side. Shipping might be exorbitant at 11.5 wide. I'm not up on my oversize permits in the states but you might need a pilot car in certain states? If not I'd suspect there will be some daylight or day restrictions all making it expensive. That's a heavy tow too.
Cost me $550 each way between PA and French Creek. Yes, he needed a pilot car. I thought that was pretty reasonable, all things considered.

The 33 for sure is too big to tow,
The 30 and 28 would be towable for me,
But I would cry in a 28 sailfish dreaming about my 26 commander

Back