My first boat — 1983 Commander 26

Kolbads

My first post, after having read and reread everything I could find here in the last 2-3 months. Considerable sailing experience, no power boat experience. Almost by accident, I now have a 1983 Commander 26, on a trailer. My first boat (not counting 3 or 4 canoes lol). I have no mechanic experience to speak of (one auto engine rebuild 40 years ago, and a bit of tinkering since), but getting keen to get my hands dirty.

Twin 470’s, one runs (compression 130-130-125-125), the other doesn’t (160-155-0-150, #3 problem believed to be stuck lifter), pre-Alpha drives, unknown condition. Hull, deck and cabin look in good condition, no soft spots found, transom solid.

It looks like just about anyone on this forum in my position would be repowering, with outboards. I don’t have the budget. My use will likely be lore cruising, some fishing. The “some fishing” could move up — it’s the reason I just bought a power boat, not a sailboat. My plan is to move the boat to Powell River to do as much as I can myself, limited spending, get her running and seaworthy for not-too-distant cruising this season, see how it feels, and decide where to go from there.

The reliability and maintainability of the 470’s is a concern of course. I’ve read plenty about them now, know their reputation and issues. Also I shudder to think what the cost of fuel on the 470’s will be. Was amazed to read that one forum member reported close to double the mpg with the Volvo D4 on his 26 compared to another with twin 200 and Suzuki outboards.

So, I’m posting to see if many think I’m absolutely crazy, wasting any time and money spent on my minimalist approach for now. Thanks for considering!

Congrats great boat. If you can find an engine throw it in or an affordable repair to the existing! There is a commander group maybe on Facebook who can talk to you about inboard upgrades.

Great that you have a trailer. Hopefully you got a great deal, a 26 foot new boat is 200k+ so if you need to spend 10-20k on engines you are doing well.
Thanks, that’s a much more encouraging first comment than I was expecting! Motivation just jumped up a notch.

Pop the head off. Stuck valve or burnt valve.
Mechanic did the initial assessment for me. His reports were inconsistent. After getting the compression readings, he suspected stuck valve. Removed the rocker cover, said valve train functioning properly. Pulled head, said seized lifter, (so I guess valve wasn’t functioning properl), he pushed on it with a screwdriver, very hard, and it suddenly gave and”went right through”. He could lift the tappet part way with a magnet, then it would drop. He suspects it’s mushroomed, needs to pull engine to check further. That’s where things stand now, and where I plan to get started.

Here’s the best advice in my opinion…
Sell it. Put money towards a 18 double eagle or the such. With newish 4 stroke.. You’ll thank me later
He's not trying to be harsh. The above may be very high maintenance and generally frustrating. I do wish you well. They are a nice hull. The 470s not particularly well regarded although I have never owned a set (they aren't easy to sell).

Here’s the best advice in my opinion…
Sell it. Put money towards a 18 double eagle or the such. With newish 4 stroke.. You’ll thank me later
Double 🦅 have transom and stringer issues sometimes? I agree a 2006 or newer 18 aluminum or fiberglass will be a much cheaper boat in total cost of ownership but no comparison. No doubt he is going to spend money on the 26 but seems a little drastic to bail unless he learns more. Was the boat on the trailer most of it's life? Are the legs and transom assemblies in good shape? What about the other engine and engine parts, heat exchanger etc, new or 10+ years old. Original electrical and electronics. He is already better off the some big boat owners, not having to pay haul out and dry storage fees at a dock yard (hopefully). The 26 is a not cheap but pretty good compared to most of what is out there. A remanufactured 470 is $4,700usd plus plus, not cheap but compared to a new boat if everything else is good or upgrades to 4.3L are an option.

I would do the following:

-Consider your expected usage, flexibility on return to port times, annual budget for fuel, etc..

- Have a thorough inspection done before spending any money on repairs . This is very important. Major Hull/stringer issues identified now will change your plan and level of commitment required of the project. Small issues are repairable for a reasonable cost; you just need to know which if any you have

- After the inspection has revealed any hidden issues, separate those issues into Functional/Safety and Comfort/Aesthetic, place rough dollar figures and priority sequence on those items

- Determine if the cost of sorting out the Functional/Safety issues is acceptable to you, if so then proceed in a manner that keeps you on a timetable as much as possible

- Chip away on the Comfort issues over time, when money allows

Notes:

1) You will never recover the cost of a pod or diesel upgrade through fuel savings or reduced maintenance costs. The cost to maintain your 470s will be very reasonable, especially if you perform some basics on your own.

2) Assumuming the boat is in good shape, you'll have an easier time recovering the functional/safety related costs invested than you will the comfort/aesthetic related costs should you choose the boat is not to your liking.

3) There is a ton of value in having to put in a bunch of sweat equity into your new boat to help you learn about the mechanics of it all. Learning on the dry is a heck of a lot cheaper than learning on the water.

4) Spend as little as possible to get you Safely and Reliably on the water for a season.

5) People seem to be driven to pod conversions and diesel repowers largely because they want a turnkey boat. They have a limited window to be on the water so the cost can be justified in that way. I have a 2019 boat with 180 hrs on it, which stopped being Turnkey in early 2020.lol. Nothing wrong with the boat, but youll have issues with anything after a year or two.

Thanks to all who have replied above. There's a whole range of answers to my original post last line, they are all appreciated. I'm proceeding with the minimal cost, get her seaworthy option, to be adapted of course depending on what I run into. So I am definitely encouraged by those that are positive/helpful with that.

3) There is a ton of value in having to put in a bunch of sweat equity into your new boat to help you learn about the mechanics of it all. Learning on the dry is a heck of a lot cheaper than learning on the water.

4) Spend as little as possible to get you Safely and Reliably on the water for a season.

I'm especially encouraged by your post. There is a whole range of opinions on what makes sense, I'm glad to see my plan endorsed here, with sound advice. Part of the appeal for me is the learning experience. Hopefully I will last through the maddening/frustrating stages!

- Have a thorough inspection done before spending any money on repairs . This is very important. Major Hull/stringer issues identified now will change your plan and level of commitment required of the project. Small issues are repairable for a reasonable cost; you just need to know which if any you have

The only step I'm hesitating on. After purchase, I had arranged an inspection by a Vancouver marine surveyor, then cancelled it after seeing the boat for myself the first time. Beyond the age of the boat alone, I couldn't see any signs of damage to hull, or soft spots; stanchions solid, e.g.. I haven't removed any floors, so could not see stringers except in engine compartment. Decided to leave inspection for now, and do further checks myself after removing floors, which I think would be a good idea for tank inspection as well as hull/stringers, but unless evidence of a problem appeared, that could be at the ...
Chip away on the Comfort issues over time, when money allows
... stage.

Powell River = Commander central. Talk to Jesse at MacDonald Marine, he’s owned a few and would be considered an expert.
X2 for Jesse

Very happy about this fortunate coincidence. Not quite 100% coincidence, in that my brother (a Powell River resident for the past few years, and a sailboat man) sent me the link about the Commander for sale, said Commanders were highly regarded, and was first to refer me to Jesse. Spoke with Jesse a couple of times now and he sounds great.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted. I hope I'll be joining the Commander community there on the water. I'll be back to the boat in 2-3 weeks, so to be continued ...

One further question: My focus when I get back to the boat will likely be on engine and mechanical systems for a while. Is that of sufficient interest on this forum to post questions and updates, or better to move to another site? Might do both. Glad to have found an active BC group.

One further question: My focus when I get back to the boat will likely be on engine and mechanical systems for a while. Is that of sufficient interest on this forum to post questions and updates, or better to move to another site? Might do both. Glad to have found an active BC group.
Everyone on here enjoys a good build thread. Keep us updated.

There are no stupid questions. There is a ton of knowledgeable and great mechanical and fabrication skills on this forum. you will learn a ton just asking questions. ask away and keep us posted.

River Boy has a great point of view.
I myself just bought my second Commander 26. I sold the last one as I was terrified of the old 165's. The guy I sold it to is a marine machinic and he bought it because of these motors, says they are the best. Something about extra bearings in the motor so are bullet proof.
The gentleman I got my boat from was not handy, he gave me a folder with almost 100k worth of receipts from the last 4 years. I couldn't believe the money he had spent on the boat, he needed one more repair on the boat and that was his breaking point. He sold it to me.
I loved my last Commander, so solid and comfortable for a 26, everything you need to have a great dry weekend or week away with all the comforts I had to have another one.
You have a great boat. I am fairly handy so the costs of most things are minimal for me to do and staying on top of the problems that come along will give you a high end experience that you can't beat for the cost.
Give your self lots of time, pick the tides, run on one motor at 8 knots and you can do anything and fish anywhere in style for the season.
I am so happy to have another Commander 26. Great boat and great experiences had always.
If you are close to C/r I would be happy to drop over and have look at what you have going on.
Cheers

Back