2nd Annual SFBC Derby

Sweat Jesus we have a winner!!! fish wisper what are the dates of this years derby lets get the ball rolling!!

Everyone is happy with Nanaimo?
If so, I'm on it. I've definitely bit off a big chunk here but I'm up for it. I'll do everything I can to make this a great derby. Steel wheels are turnin'...
Will try to set a date that won't conflict with other events. Father's Day is the ultimate fish derby date but I believe there will be dozens of derbies that wknd. I'll need some input on this then we'll set a date that we are all comfy with.

Thanks for your support profisher. It appears that you've been the catalyst for this event from the get-go. Bravo. I hope I can fill your boots. Whatever documentation that you can fwd will be beneficial and greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your support bud.

Alright Nanaimoites, this is a Call To Arms. Who can I depend on for some assistance?
Free Jugheads to whomever steps up to the plate :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishwhisperer I bumped last years derby thread...it may prove helpful to go through those old posts to see how things went last summer....all the ups and downs. Hopefully it will help you reduce the downs. Good luck and I will send you anything I have on hand that will help you as we'll.

FW, just sent you a PM. thanks for stepping up and offering to organize in Nanaimo. As a Vancouver guy I will gladly make the trip across and I'm sure many other will as well. Looking forward to locking down a date and time. Is it a 1-day derby or multiday? As several have mentioned June 15th, 2014 is Father's Day and there is already a derby going on in Nanaimo that weekend. May/June are pretty steady so my vote would be for mid to late May.

Is the derby a 2 day event or just 1 day?
Fw do you have a Marina or venue in mind??

JAC ...I just took this on a day ago... its going to take a minute or 2 bud... open to suggestions tho

Last edited by a moderator:
FW, just sent you a PM. thanks for stepping up and offering to organize in Nanaimo. As a Vancouver guy I will gladly make the trip across and I'm sure many other will as well. Looking forward to locking down a date and time. Is it a 1-day derby or multiday? As several have mentioned June 15th, 2014 is Father's Day and there is already a derby going on in Nanaimo that weekend. May/June are pretty steady so my vote would be for mid to late May.

Thanks tincan, got your pm. Thank you very much for the assistance. I will be calling bud :)
What a great bunch of guys in here...

Long weekend would be great people that are traveling from out of town will have more time to and from!!

AJ, sent you some documents tonight to your email.

I think this is great you are taking it on FW! :) Its real undertaking organizing any event. Every one seems to have there opinion on how/where/when things should be done, stick to your guns. With Rollie getting the ball rolling with sponsors should be a huge help.

I have to say im a little sad its not going to be south vi again. Greedy I know lol. Im sure there are just as many members up there as down here. There is alot of people who view this board that never speak up. Im not sure im confident enough to try new waters on a derby crazyness day. If you need help pm me, Im in Vic if you need some running around down here done. :)

Also if your thinking may long, places with camping may have to be booked way in advance. Not sure the camping/marina places up there but there cant be many since the fishing grounds seem to be close in town? Where do people who travel for derbies usually stay? Campers? motels?

Thanks for taking this on, FW.

closest campgrounds...

http://www.brannenlake.com/
http://www.westwoodlakecampgrounds.com/home/index.htm
http://www.livingforest.com/cmaster/ParkMap.htm

If it ends up being the May long and your boat has accommodations...May Long weekend is the unofficial start to the pleasure boating season in Nanaimo and there's always a good time to be had over at the Newcastle Island docks. Fireworks show in the harbour Sunday night.

Just a thought, but Miller's Pub is right next to the boat ramp and would probably be interested in hosting (the new Carlos O'Bryan's going in the old Muddy Water's building should also be open by then).

Back