2nd Annual SFBC Derby

Central area would be Nanaimo, but I'm not offering to host - don't live there but we do have quite a few members up there -
Just a thought, and as victory points out there is usually pretty good fishing May-June.

Central area would be Nanaimo, but I'm not offering to host - don't live there but we do have quite a few members up there -
Just a thought, and as victory points out there is usually pretty good fishing May-June.

Hey all, I was unable to attend the last derby but like some of the guys in here, I live for derbies. Win or not, it's always a fun event.
If it's decided to host the derby in Nanaimo area, I'll volunteer my time and effort to assist in organizing.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the owners of this site wanted to participate more in any future events and it really ultimately is up to them as to how this derby moves forward...so long as their name is attached. I will make sure we talk.
Another idea that was discussed today about future derbies has some merit and solves some of the travel issues for many. Why not pick say 6 towns that are close to known fishing hot spots but are far enough away from each other so multiple "Banana Challenge Derbies" could be held of the Father's Day Weekend with each venue not interfering with the others. Each town would have its own organizing group and choose its own beneficiary of proceeds. Each would award their own "Banana " trophy to the winners. Then have a fish off later in the summer with the winners going for the "Stanley Cup" type trophy of the Banana Challenge.
This came up as very few participants from last years event came from outside the Victoria/ Sooke area. This would be a way for mor e people to participate by being able to fish closer to home and more groups would benefit from proceeds. Just an idea.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the owners of this site wanted to participate more in any future events and it really ultimately is up to them as to how this derby moves forward...so long as their name is attached. I will make sure we talk.
Another idea that was discussed today about future derbies has some merit and solves some of the travel issues for many. Why not pick say 6 towns that are close to known fishing hot spots but are far enough away from each other so multiple "Banana Challenge Derbies" could be held of the Father's Day Weekend with each venue not interfering with the others. Each town would have its own organizing group and choose its own beneficiary of proceeds. Each would award their own "Banana " trophy to the winners. Then have a fish off later in the summer with the winners going for the "Stanley Cup" type trophy of the Banana Challenge.
This came up as very few participants from last years event came from outside the Victoria/ Sooke area. This would be a way for mor e people to participate by being able to fish closer to home and more groups would benefit from proceeds. Just an idea.

Seems like a good idea the whole idea is to get people on the water and also raise money for a good cause. I'm would think it will take more time and volunteers do do something like this which may make it difficult.

Banana challenge trophy

Not sure what happened to the Banana Trophy, my wife has it!! You might have to arm-wrestle her for it and you will most likely will not win, as she is quite fond of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nanaimo being my backyard, would be great...However, fathers day weekend in Nanaimo is the Silva Bay derby out of Gabriola island and is well supported by the local community. Not saying it would have to be fathers day, but just thought I would let you know.

For Profishers idea to work every region doesn't need to hold their "banana challenge" on the same weekend. In fact it would be better if they were spread out because the whole idea was to get forum members together and if we all have local derbies on the same day it prevents that to an extent. Not that many out of Towners attended last years event.

X2

Great ideas guys...

Nanaimo (or elsewhere on the ECVI) would allow many of us mainlanders to get involved... whether that's a good or bad thing can be up for debate ;) . Obviously May/June is pretty prime time for that fishery and there are other derbies that would have to be worked around.

That's why IMO port hardy makes no sense. Besides locals and people who plan a trip there anyways who would attend?

That said I'd live to fish hardy someday but I don't think the banana challenge will be enough to draw people up.

Duffer I think we had around 150 tickets sold, which I'm told is very good for a first, time event. The Juan De Fuca Derby had about 100 for its first year. Very few tickets were sold outside the South Island. I would say under 10 tickets. I think if it was held here again it would be reasonable to expect to double the numbers. I think everyone had a good time and spread the word.

I was really trying to come last year and I would definitely go this year if it was on the South Island again. I really liked the format but it would be unlikely that I would travel up island.
Father's Day weekend was a good plan. Mother's Day was not... hard to get the green light for that weekend. I like the idea of a few different ones around the island.
Thawk

It might draw a few up there for a roadtrip but it would probably be the people who are already planning to fish there.

I can imagine the work that needs to go into it so we'd be lucky to have anyone step up to the plate. Props to someone for doing that at least!

As a new fisherman Im just getting to know these waters never mind anywhere else.

What if you had more helpers Rollie. People to go gather prizes..

I thought it was a cool idea to move to different hot spots on the island. It would have been a great opportunity for newbees to check out other areas safely under the wings of local SFBC buddies plus all the after fishing socializing. With hosting resorts giving participants great discounts for using their facilities this would also be a great opportunity for try different areas for little money compared to a private trip at another time. Too bad many of here seem too lazy for this.

Not so much laziness as cost. Don't really enjoy being called lazy when in fact that's not the reason. The idea of this is to raise money, and best way to do that is to have the most amount of people there.

Keep coming with your opinions, suggestions and offers....I'm reading them all.

I liked the original idea last year of moving it around. I'm LML. I missed last year as I was travelling on business. Whether SVI or Nanaimo have to travel. Or Comox, or whatever, but would make it if in town. Hardy is a bit of a stretch though. Nanaimo is easy for the LML's to make it to.

I find it really entertaining that folks who attended last years event are not prepared to to travel to Port Hardy, yet these guy's towed there rig down Island, launched in Port Alberni, and spent a week out in Bamfield for the tuna shoot out.

I don't recall seeing many SCVI members at the tuna shootout.

Wade opened his doors and offered up to sponsor a fun event. I would tow my gal up to Port Hardy for this event. In heart beat.

Why? Because of the person willing to host it and had the balls to do so. Nuff said. See all you SVIC anglers in Hardy this year. Or not. The rest of the majority of anglers will have fun anyway lol.

You guys down South really need to get out more and realize there is a ton of anglers in this Province out there besides yourselves. Just sayin'.:p:)

I really loved the comment of " who will attend". I will profess that is what set me off .

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked a couple times about the Shootout since my boat cant do the tuna thing. How I could get on a rig and help out. Money wasen't a problem then. Never got a single response. Maybe you Tuna guys should make it a little easier for people to get involved instead of shunning guys who don't have the experience in it!

I agree Port Hardy would be an awsome place. Ive wanted to fish it a few times now. Port Mcneil is not bad either.

Nanaimo would be cool aswell. And the early fishing is hot there, and there is no slot limit!

Back