2nd Annual SFBC Derby

I feel its up to you to decide...... Not everyone will be happy with any date set.

Do those dates conflict with any other large derbies on the island?

August long weekend I imagine a lot of families have events planned that usually don't involve dad fishing for two days. Tough call as you get into the thick of summer people get really busy and local fishing everywhere heats right up making a trip to foreign waters less appealing. You might still get a good local draw but I think from the last couple years of reports early season is Nanaimo's strength.

Like FA said you'll never please everyone and local fishermen will be your biggest draw so plan for the date most locals will attend. Two derbies I do annually are the Davey Derby in late July and the bite me derby in early-mid August. The SFBC derby was to be the 3rd but I can't sandwich it in between those other two and I'm out for may long weekend so its not meant to be this year.

If I were you I'd pick two or three weekends that work logistically and put it to a vote then run with whatever gets the most votes.

If I remember, last year there was a slot size of 62-82 from middle of June to middle of July as well in area 17 and 29. Not sure if this matters or not. How big would a 82 cm salmon be? FW I am here in Ladysmith so if I can help in any way please feel free to get a hold of me. 250-713-9709

Cheers
Tony

Isn't the best fishing in Nanaimo in May/June ?
would make sense to run the derby when the fishing is hot.

For sheer numbers of Chinooks May/June is definitely the time of year. With a record return of Sockeye expected for Alberni this year I'd expect to see a lot of Anglers in the canal in the first couple of weeks of July. I agree though that you won't be able to please everybody. Pick a date and run with it. I like May because come the beginning of June we're off to Alaska and the Yukon for 6 weeks or so. I might even miss the Sockeye fishing in Alberni. Good thing our seats are reserved for the Fraser Sockeye.
Dave

Agree that May/June is the best salmon fishing in the Nanaimo area and my vote to be to schedule the derby at some point during this time frame. There will be conflicts with other derbies/events throughout the entire season so as many have said just pick a date and roll with it. It's never going to work for everyone but if you're the guy hosting it's your call. I'm typically more excited for early season fishing/derbies as well.

I'd have to go with May as well come July August I'm booked solid with **** to do and places to go. But as others have said just pick a date that works for you and hope for the best. I would like some where there is camping and moorage too but that's just me. Good luck.

Newcastle island has camping and lots of dock space. Would be worth looking into if anyone is wanting a place to camp and keep the boat floating close to the fishing areas.

Once you get into July/august it will start to conflict with many's Fishing trips etc. May I would say is the best bet by far.

Shawnigan Lake-- lots of trout, bass , perch and other fishies-- lots of camping. Seems like a winner!

Middle of May! Lots of fish and early enough that everyone will be frothing at the mouth to get out and do it! Nanaimo is big enough that moorage and camping can easily be found.

Newcastle island has camping and lots of dock space. Would be worth looking into if anyone is wanting a place to camp and keep the boat floating close to the fishing areas.
Do you have any contact info??

google :) ?
http://www.newcastleisland.ca/

May would definitely be my first choice. If it ends up being May Long weekend, dock space at Newcastle is first come first served and every pleasure boater in the area will be there. I believe campsites can be reserved.

FW I can help out a bit if needed...can't promise a big commitment, but will do what I can.

Your the man Dan thanks to all you Nanaimo guys for going with hosting the derby! Hopefully I can make it down! Sooner we have dates and info the better.

Hey FA, silence only means someone is busy at it :) kinda like the dinner table.
I'm up to my hips in politics with this. Progress is definitely being made. I have a few contingency plans for back up as well. Have a couple more meetings then a definite date and place will be announced.
I'm on it buddy, I promise.

Back