2nd Annual SFBC Derby

I thought central island where people could boat across to and from the mainland would be great. The ferry is about $500 round trip so that will stop some people from joining. Is mid June up in hardy prime time or is it still the shoulder season. Bear cove would be a beautiful places to have it forsure.

Keep coming with your opinions, suggestions and offers....I'm reading them all.

First off Rollie I would like to thank you for your leadership and huge amount of work you and some others put in last year. For a first year Derby it was amazing and 150 participants was a huge first time achievement.

Regardless of what it is called, I think it would be a great loss not to continue in a progressive manner with the development of an annual Derby on South Vancouver Island, especially if the JDF Derby is not coming back; although having the JDF Derby back would be many anglers preference I am sure.

The JDF Derby was one of the largest in North America with around 700 participants and could likely have gone over a thousand had participation not been limited for years to keep it manageable. Clearly the demand and interest is here.

Further, the JDF Derby over many years and thousands of man hours developed a huge diversified sponsor base of over 150 largely local sponsors, which despite the success of the Banana Challenge Derby last year only a small percentage of which were utilized.

In my opinion it would be a tragic loss to let that sponsor base atrophy, especially when one considers the desperate and increasing need for fund raising for salmon habitat restoration, enhancement and salmon and angler advocacy. If the South VI Angling community does not re-engage and utilize these local sponsors quickly, that funding base will be lost. We still have a window of opportunity but it is closing.

I would like to think that with the advantage of our large and concentrated angler population base on SVI that we do have sufficient numbers of anglers willing to volunteer the thousands of man hours necessary to put on and build up over a few years, a large quality Derby like the JDF. It would also be nice if an organizing corporate sponsor could be found to fill the role that the Alpine Group had filled all those years with the JDF Derby.

I also think there is a role here for SVIAC. It does not matter who’s name is associated with a new SVI Fundraiser Derby. What matters is that the funds are raised.

So I guess it is up to us and talk is cheap. The question is are there sufficient anglers willing to step up to the plate and give something back, or do we let this opportunity to support salmon and the great sport of fishing, slip through our fingers.

None of this is meant to discourage those in other areas with the development of local SFBC Derby Fundraisers and I wish them great success. The more fundraising events to support Pacific salmon and BC coastal sport fishing, the better.

There is more than enough volunteer work to do out there to keep us all busy everywhere on the coast.

One would think that in terms of available volunteer manpower, numbers of possible participants and sponsors, that the Vancouver area would certainly have potential for Derby Fundraising and also the mid Island. Not sure how good the salmon fishing is around Vancouver now, but I know years ago they had some pretty big Derbys.

First off Rollie I would like to thank you for your leadership and huge amount of work you and some others put in last year. For a first year Derby it was amazing and 150 participants was a huge first time achievement.

Regardless of what it is called, I think it would be a great loss not to continue in a progressive manner with the development of an annual Derby on South Vancouver Island, especially if the JDF Derby is not coming back; although having the JDF Derby back would be many anglers preference I am sure.

The JDF Derby was one of the largest in North America with around 700 participants and could likely have gone over a thousand had participation not been limited for years to keep it manageable. Clearly the demand and interest is here.

Further, the JDF Derby over many years and thousands of man hours developed a huge diversified sponsor base of over 150 largely local sponsors, which despite the success of the Banana Challenge Derby last year only a small percentage of which were utilized.

In my opinion it would be a tragic loss to let that sponsor base atrophy, especially when one considers the desperate and increasing need for fund raising for salmon habitat restoration, enhancement and salmon and angler advocacy. If the South VI Angling community does not re-engage and utilize these local sponsors quickly, that funding base will be lost. We still have a window of opportunity but it is closing.

I would like to think that with the advantage of our large and concentrated angler population base on SVI that we do have sufficient numbers of anglers willing to volunteer the thousands of man hours necessary to put on and build up over a few years, a large quality Derby like the JDF. It would also be nice if an organizing corporate sponsor could be found to fill the role that the Alpine Group had filled all those years with the JDF Derby.

I also think there is a role here for SVIAC. It does not matter who’s name is associated with a new SVI Fundraiser Derby. What matters is that the funds are raised.

So I guess it is up to us and talk is cheap. The question is are there sufficient anglers willing to step up to the plate and give something back, or do we let this opportunity to support salmon and the great sport of fishing, slip through our fingers.

None of this is meant to discourage those in other areas with the development of local SFBC Derby Fundraisers and I wish them great success. The more fundraising events to support Pacific salmon and BC coastal sport fishing, the better.

There is more than enough volunteer work to do out there to keep us all busy everywhere on the coast.

One would think that in terms of available volunteer manpower, numbers of possible participants and sponsors, that the Vancouver area would certainly have potential for Derby Fundraising and also the mid Island. Not sure how good the salmon fishing is around Vancouver now, but I know years ago they had some pretty big Derbys.

X 2, couldn't agree with you more Rockfish, hope many other SVI guys feel the same! We can't lose this great opportunity. My 2 bits.

Guys lets keep this civil, I don't want this to be a warm up for next years halibut debate after the 2014 fishing plans are announced. ;). As for me...this is what is on my mind when pondering this. Most important is that the derby builds and raises badly needed funds for a salmon or sport fishing project. So will that most likely happen if the derby moves or stays? If it moves there is more risk in taking steps backwards and loosing momentum built here. The upside is I would be off the hook for all the work that goes hand in hand with any derby. If it stays here I know we would double last years attendance , prize pool and most importantly the donation. Obviously It also means I have to put in some time again. So there is a peak inside my head.

Sharing a message I received from another member this morning from the LML......

What a gong show that derby is lol. It's insane some guys won't drive to Vic and stay in a big city that sucks, but man there are many prime places to hold this event. You can be anywhere on the island from anywhere on the island within 7 hours, with tons of camping spots too. Everywhere it could be held 4 guys split cost and its not that much. Seems like guys from Vic are pretty selfish or too cheap and lazy. Lol Its 900 ish for me just to step on and off the island and they complain about 200 in fuel haha

last year I was happy to support this derby even though I didn't attend I did buy a ticket to support the spirit and the work of the organizers. Personally I would way rather travel to somewhere I wanted to go and have a fishing adventure with some old and new friends. This is what this site is to me, meet people and fish.

If people really want to replace the JDF, they should maybe look at doing that, the people who dropped it would probably be happy to turn over as much info as they have to help out.

Or maybe I should join that plenty of fish website.

Regretfully I can't offer much as a place for a derby either as Saltspring wouldn't be a very good location, but I will offer what I can to whoever takes it on up island.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to chime in again,

In reading the now 5 pages on this topic it is becoming clear to me that Port Hardy my not be the best option to host this derby. Couple reasons I am seeing, travel, cost of that travel, extra time it takes to get to Hardy compared SI, loss of sponsorships already in place from last year.

Also in reading these pages that somewhere Campbell River south is where this derby needs to take place in order to have the best chance of it being well attended. Which is ultimately what needs to happen in order for it to be a success and to have the chance to raise funds to support the projects of it choice.

The reason I believe that a change of venue is up in the air is that Profisher does not want to bare all the responsibility of hosting and putting on this derby himself. Only get that idea from his above post. Maybe if there was a bit more help and support from all of us when it comes to helping out Profisher it could stay in the SI and be even more successful than last year.

These are my thoughts anyways. I have personally offered up my help to Profisher already in anyway I can be it sponsorship, helping in getting prizes, or whatever is needed.

Cheers,

Thanks Bearcove for stepping forward no matter what the decision is. I would like to remind everyone, his is the only real offer so far. Nanaimo has been suggested many times but no one from there has offered to host and organize it. Until that happens it can't even be on the table as an option. I know Nanaimo already has a well established derby on the Father's Day weekend so this derby would have to choose another date to be a success in Nanaimo.

? ...page 3

Hey all, I was unable to attend the last derby but like some of the guys in here, I live for derbies. Win or not, it's always a fun event.
If it's decided to host the derby in Nanaimo area, I'll volunteer my time and effort to assist in organizing.

I take that as an offer to get involved as a volunteer if a group comes forward with a commitment to host. I thankfully had a couple of such people working with me last spring...High Five was one of the forum members who did offer his help and helped me with the trophies.

I take that as an offer to get involved as a volunteer if a group comes forward with a commitment to host. I thankfully had a couple of such people working with me last spring...High Five was one of the forum members who did offer his help and helped me with the trophies.

What does it take to be a host? A group of what? Hook a brother up here with some info... Let's cut the b.s. here and get this going. I'm good to go. Start right now. Excellent cause, I couldn't be more stoked. Great bunch o' fisher peeps. Let's do this. It's all about the luv of fishin'. Put all that crap aside. Am I right or am I being a knob here?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the JDF derby isn't on put one on in Vic on Father's Day anyways no reason why SFBC derby can't be in nanaimo whenever and an annual SVIAC fund raising derby take place in Vic whenever (fathers day if its free?).

If the organizers who did the Vic derby came up with the name (banana challenge) they should be able to keep it IMO and this years SFBC can have their own unique theme come up by whoever organizes it.

I think what some of us are thinking is there is a gap in the derby market in Vic and the organizers did great last year with an awesome theme, unique prizes and a great cause. If SFBC derby needs to keep banana challenge name that's ok too name isn't important its the work behind it that made it shine.

Ok, maybe I mistook what you were offering. All I meant by group was a lead person and the team around that person who will do all the work needed to put on a well run derby. If you are prepared to take it on I can gladly hand over what ever materials and contacts I have from the first event that might help you. The work will start right away as we started last year in January and wished we had started earlier, time goes by too fast.
I think Nanaimo would work well and it seems there are a few here that hope you take it on. Hopefully you can find a marina that offers to helpnyounas much as Pedder Bay Marina helped us!! Without that help it would have been much more difficult to have a successful event.

If the JDF derby isn't on put one on in Vic on Father's Day anyways no reason why SFBC derby can't be in nanaimo whenever and an annual SVIAC fund raising derby take place in Vic whenever (fathers day if its free?).

If the organizers who did the Vic derby came up with the name (banana challenge) they should be able to keep it IMO and this years SFBC can have their own unique theme come up by whoever organizes it.

I think what some of us are thinking is there is a gap in the derby market in Vic and the organizers did great last year with an awesome theme, unique prizes and a great cause. If SFBC derby needs to keep banana challenge name that's ok too name isn't important its the work behind it that made it shine.

Then step set and host a derby......or take over the JDF derby. Bring it back to life.

You betcha brother X2

GDW X 2. There is still is a need for a Father's Day Weekend Derby here. I would offer to help make that happen and take on a roll, but would not take in the same amount of responsibility as last year. It was fun and a challenge but stressful too. I could only tell how stressful when I got home after it was all done and cracked a beer. Lol

Well it appears that Fishwhisperer is willing to take on the 2014 derby and the city of Nanaimo has been suggested by many of you. I hoped by posting this thread now it would start the process of getting the ball rolling as you can never start organizing something like this to soon. I wish him good luck and hope those who wanted it Nanaimo will now step up and take on some of the work that will be required in the coming months to make it a big success.

Sweat Jesus we have a winner!!! fish wisper what are the dates of this years derby lets get the ball rolling!!

Back