2016 Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent a couple hours on the water yesterday with my mom and dad on the boat. Went away from the pack off a point near metchosin. Stumbled across this coho. Biggest I have ever caught. Was looking for springs but I'll settle for this hatch. It hit at about 65' while I was dropping the gear. 130' of water. Rod went slack and first thought it might have pulled out of the clip but after quickly reeling in the slack to see if anything was there, I was stoked to feel the tug of a feisty salmon. My dad tried netting it after a few runs but he just ended up giving the fish a head massage with the end of the net a few times, then he got the net caught in the hook from the spoon, so I took over and netted it myself. We were lucky to land it. AP anchovy spoon. 4' leader. Purple haze flasher. Empty stomach.

image.jpg

Last edited:
About 5 years ago there was a run of coho that returned in fall that were very large. It seems that reports up and down coast are reporting much larger coho this year. We may this fall have an epic coho fishery across the JDF. Fingers crossed but it's a good sign. Great catch wonder where this one was headed. I am curious to see how our run of shawnigan fish on inside will do and if we see larger fish. Time will tell....

I would not necessarily take this as a sign of an epic coho run to come this year. Quite the contrary, like an apple tree: in years when you get only few apples they will be huge, but in years when there are many apples on the tree they will be small on average. Often works with fish populations too; few fish - lots of food - they grow big. Lots of fish, lots of competition for food - smaller specimen. Remember the coho bonanza in the JDF all summer long 3-4 years ago? Most of them were smallish - 4-5# but lots and lots of them.

Out on a buddies boat this morning, 06:15 to 08:45. Lost of boats and charters running circles in front of the Green Can. We saw one net out but didn't see the fish come in. There were a number of boats in front of the breakwater as well, but we didn't venture that far out. We got skunked but it was a beautiful day on the water.

I would not necessarily take this as a sign of an epic coho run to come this year. Quite the contrary, like an apple tree: in years when you get only few apples they will be huge, but in years when there are many apples on the tree they will be small on average. Often works with fish populations too; few fish - lots of food - they grow big. Lots of fish, lots of competition for food - smaller specimen. Remember the coho bonanza in the JDF all summer long 3-4 years ago? Most of them were smallish - 4-5# but lots and lots of them.

I am talking fall not summer. Will have to wait an

No I wasn't talking summer I was talking fall. I am not saying more of them I am just saying larger sizes. Anyhow too early to tell.

Some nice fish coming in off the breakwater. 35# last week and a 40# this week. How about giving the humble shore angler their space?

Spent the last 3 days out there with a buddy fishing side by side. 5 fish to the boat 6-20 lbs. At least 8 or 9 that weve lost or haven't stuck. Congrats on that beauty coho dave!

In my work truck yesterday, I saw numerous boats worked hard at breakwater entrance by mid-morning. I assume there are some fish around.

Esq to dallas 6am start, not much a shaker, went to the lagoon around 9 made way to albert head notta, ran back dropped in front of v21 and bam screamer teener around 11am nothing after that packed it in around 1pm not great but there are some. A guy in his grady said he lost a nice one off the breakwall. So thats good a few fish around but it was a grind lots of gear checks, and changing up to see what works in the end it was the andrew p on a five foot leader with a purple onion uv flasher depth about 165 feet, rigger at 70, and troll speed around 4kph sog. Hope others are having success saw a few shakers in other boats but no big ones yet.

I like boating o_O

Been telling Rockdog for weeks to stop referring to it as "fishing" and use the correct term "boating"

Fishing is good, if you put time out there, just enjoy every day, we got it
I like boating o_O

Been telling Rockdog for weeks to stop referring to it as "fishing" and use the correct term "boating"
Fishing is good right now, just get out there and put your time, you will be rewarded,

23 & 17 today along with 5 or 6 others that didn't make it to the boat or didn't stick.

Attachments

• 13886294_1187692901294801_9053580882016146532_n.jpg
    13886294_1187692901294801_9053580882016146532_n.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: Lew
Went out this morning at 8:30 with two of my friends. Caught these two, 20 & 24 lbs close to the Coyote Bank at 9:25 & 9:55.
The wind was strong,waves were big in the morning. The wind diminished to light around 10:30, flat tides. 4 dogfishes after the halis.
9b5cfd87gw1f6ohsknbfpj21co2eohdt.jpg
9b5cfd87gw1f6ohssjzcvj21co2eoe81.jpg

9b5cfd87gw1f6oihh4cluj21co2eou0x.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back