2016 Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished Constance today from 8 to 1130 picked up two wild both about 10 lbs between 930 and 10 saw one other fish played. First fish the boat in the last 6 trips out. Very few birds and even less bait showing but both fish had sandlance in them.

Thanks Rockdog! There have been fish there since the end of july, but im working pretty hard for them. Seems to regularly be a solid bite between 7-9am. Fished again today for a short while before work, from about 11-12:30. One mangled bait at 44 feet off the green can, and on the last pass before I headed in I started marking fish like crazy. Right after these solid marks I saw a seal literally tearing a good sized salmon (id guess about 20-25 pounds) about 50 feet behind my boat. We need a seal cull

Thanks Rockdog! There have been fish there since the end of july, but im working pretty hard for them. Seems to regularly be a solid bite between 7-9am. Fished again today for a short while before work, from about 11-12:30. One mangled bait at 44 feet off the green can, and on the last pass before I headed in I started marking fish like crazy. Right after these solid marks I saw a seal literally tearing a good sized salmon (id guess about 20-25 pounds) about 50 feet behind my boat. We need a seal cull

Or at the very least make the seal a Forum member and ask him to submit a report!!!LOL

Quite a show of orcas and whale watching boats last night right off Sax Point last night. There were a couple massive whale boats squeezing in amongst the much smaller fishing boats and getting much to close to the whales as they tried to feed.. I did manage one small keeper spring and released a few smaller ones in front of Esquimalt.

Nice one Jim, I fished Ogden to McCauley from 12- 2:30
One solid fish took a few runs before a seal grabbed it.
There were about 15 boats fishing, never saw anyone else on a rod.

Nice fish kildonan! good call on the waterfront gents , I tried oak bay from 6 to 12 today. several throwback 2 pounders and one lost wild coho returned

Jeezus, man. I hate that. I haven't lost one to a seal in a while. The whales were through Esquimalt last night and this morning, I was hoping they were transients taking care of business.

Weeded through probably 20 dogfish today but was rewarded with a flatty around 50#.
It bit a turd/LED light/squid combo @ 300ft

Thought I would use the slake tides and flat calm buzzed out to Constance. S&Wand East sides. Very little bait and nothing that stuck. Lots of Hali guys out there. 3.5 hours. Tried out in front before coming in skunked. It's the middle of Aug. Where are the fish!! Time to change my hat....I guess.

slow but special night bite off the front today... fished 3-8pm. Picked up one nice hit at about 630 off the breakwater. Gave it to my little brother to reel in. His first spring salmon, about 8 or 9 pounds.

Attachments

• 14009951_1191288844268540_753996904_n.jpg
    14009951_1191288844268540_753996904_n.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Fished saturday from 8:30-12, picked up a 14lber or so on my first pass off Macaulay. One another hit that didnt stick and a destroyed bait. Couple crabs in the trap too. Fished again sunday, first light-11. Hooked into 5 small fish early, mostly undersized, kept a 6 lber that took a hook deep. Lost a nice spring in the teens at the side of the boat around 10am that pulled the hook, went back for another pass at the same spot off the breakwater and hooked up again, and lost that fish after a few hard head shakes. So many boats out both days and lots of shakers/**** in the water.

Attachments

• 14030982_1193557957374962_1915698093_n.jpg
    14030982_1193557957374962_1915698093_n.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 56
Well I had some great fishing this weekend. Changed it up and steered clear of the crowds. Fished around the breakwater Friday night with a buddy and had non stop action from 5-7pm. We released at least 6 in the 3-6lb range and kept a 6lb bleeder, 15 and 20lb. The 20lb was super dark, thick and must have had 2lbs of eggs in her. It took a few big runs and some big jumps. Gear at 70' on the rigger.

Sunday morning I fished solo off Clover point and again had good action from 8-11. Released about 6 small guys and kept a chrome 15lb male. Lost another thumper. Most action was between 70-100 on riggers.

All action came on my 3" ap anchovy spoons behind Peetz mini flasher. 32" leaders. I'd been working a lot of bigger,and usually very productive, spoons but once I switched to the small stuff they started biting.
IMG_6465.jpg
IMG_6466.jpg

Last edited:
fished last night in the lightish winds from 5-8pm and a bit bumpy with the 20kph winds, two small guys barely legal went back, couldn't find any bigger ones. Odd though motor alarms went off when we were heading out more to follow in the rigs discussion forum. All fish last night caught around the green marker between esq and harbor mouth at 70 feet. Beautiful fish just not big enough to feel good about taking. No net job required gaf technique on the hook and they all swam away strong. No boats out last night I think I saw 3

Best day so far for me off the front today. As I put my first rod down at 5;30 this morning, it went off, nice mid teenager to the boat. Shortly after got into another screamer, without the use of the flasher. Boated about a 23 pound white spring, played it for over 25 minutes. Around 10 had a nice hit and got about another teenager near the boat before a seal came up and snatched it. Lost everything except the flasher, stuck it back down with a fresh teaser head, and right away got about a 10 lber. Kept fishing untill 12 or so where I lost a nice one that pulled the hook and 2 or 3 other hits. Great day weather wise to.

Attachments

• 14017989_1195199073877517_1626999140_n.jpg
    14017989_1195199073877517_1626999140_n.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 98
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back