Hope the Esquimalt Anglers survived the king tides and surge with the recent weather. It is not cheap to maintain a float like that. I still think it is a bargain for an annual pass and appreciate all the work they do to help a guy like me get out there and have some fun. All the best, guys, girls and kids on the water in 2024.
We launch out of Esquimalt Anglers yesterday and the dock was in great shape as usual.

We fished Constance yesterday between noon and 2pm and managed to get one double header. One around 7 lbs and a smaller one.

Last edited:
Opted for whirl bay yesterday. Good choice I guess. 2 bites back to back. 14lb and 6lb. Weighed the 14.
Saw very little bait and very little action on any boats. Short bite when the tide shifted a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_4448.jpeg
    IMG_4448.jpeg
    859.2 KB · Views: 261
Any fish to be had off Ogden point these days? Working in the harbour and wondering if there’s a winter chinook fishery close by

Any fish to be had off Ogden point these days? Working in the harbour and wondering if there’s a winter chinook fishery close by
It's about now that they started showing up last year, good fish into the teens. Any snow access reports on our local launches, Esquimalt, Cattle pt. and Sidney? I NEED to get out.

Trolled in dense fog from the green can over to Brotchie ledge and then towards Clover Pt. were visibility was better. Released three clipped springs there, 5-7 lbs.

Heading back toward Victoria and had a close encounter with a big pod of orca's. I had no time to react and fortunately they didn't go through my gear. Really cool though to see them not being pushed by whale watching boats. The whales moved in a very loose extended line formation probaby 300 m's wide.

Caught and kept another 62 cm hatchery spring near Brotchie. Other boats were also getting fish. 120' on larger spoons seemed to work today.

Went out in a friend's boat this morning.Started off the waterfront but didn't look promising ,so headed out to Constance.Pretty steady action on small springs,got checked by RCMP,ended the trip with a scrappy 12.9 spring,only keeper.Weather was great till we ran in and got dumped on (rain).

Lots of boats out this morning between Oak Bay and Esquimalt. Especially just south of Trial. Was there a derby? We trolled between McCauley and Clover pt. and back. Lots of logs to dodge plus a very slow tug with a log boom. Caught several small sub 3 pounders but did get two around 7lbs. 90-120'. Didn't see any boats packing anchor buoys.

Last edited:
Lots of boats out this morning between Oak Bay and Esquimalt. Especially just south of Trial. Was there a derby? We trolled between McCauley and Clover pt. and back. Lots of logs to dodge plus a very slow tug with a log boom. Caught several small sub 3 pounders but did get and two around 7lbs. 90-120'. Didn't see any boats packing anchor buoys.
saw a post about pedder bay derby today.

Same as yesterday; released three 5'ish, and lost one better one of about 12# at the net. Quite a few little springs around as well. Spoons beat bait today. All action was between Clover pt. and the Flag Pole within a hour long noon "bite".

Unfortunately the big crabs in my trap were too soft to keep.

RCMP were doing their safety checks today,

Got up early off Esq and the bite was on. Wished they were bigger but they are scrappy and healthy. Steady action with a couple doubled up until noon when it was more relaxing lol. Great day to be on the water seen a kayaker and a tiny out trolling no kelp or logs calm seas made for perfect day with a couple good pals.

Attachments

• A129C962-6E3F-4924-A711-52E904473846.jpeg
    A129C962-6E3F-4924-A711-52E904473846.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 182
  • 71D30258-3B33-4B79-889B-640E1CB3BAF1.jpeg
    71D30258-3B33-4B79-889B-640E1CB3BAF1.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 7FC881C9-A61E-44D7-93CC-81728C12914C.jpeg
    7FC881C9-A61E-44D7-93CC-81728C12914C.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 180
"Lumpy seas of the Victoria waterfront this morning. Started at Clover pt. but headed straight back West following the 125 ft contour as best I could in the quartering waves. Kept one 8 ish, release three others plus 5# and a few smalls. All on pictured spoon. Nothing on bait!

9" mature herring in stomach.

Three hard shelled crabs worth keeping. Unfortunately the jumbo's were too soft.

IMG_20240210_123113628_HDR (1).jpg

Last edited:
Nice catch Eroyd , gonna get out on Monday am for Salmon off Esq. Hope for a better report then. Went and gave the old Craigflower Bridge a shot this aft jigging for herring but got skunked. May be a bit early so I’ll try again next week.

Nice catch Eroyd , gonna get out on Monday am for Salmon off Esq. Hope for a better report then. Went and gave the old Craigflower Bridge a shot this aft jigging for herring but got skunked. May be a bit early so I’ll try again next week.
The herring were done on the gorge

Back