2016 Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Landed a nice 17lb off the waterfront around 6pm last night. Bloody nose teaser close to the bottom. It was a challenge netting it on my own.. Perhaps I need a longer net handle? I bonked it on its head twice before I got it in the net

Busy off the waterfront this morning. Counted 45 boats. Saw fair number of fish caught, lost or sealed. We fished 7 - 12 Esquimalt & Breakwater, got a nice clipped coho #8 off Saxe Pt (chartreuse teaser), smaller spring (blue chrome teaser) and 15lb at noon at breakwater
(green/chrome coyote). All the fish had empty stomachs.

Here is my buddy Matt holding a 17lb spring caught on anchovie off the victoria harbor this morning. What a freight train it was. 70 feet was the magic depth. Only saw a few others netted today...

Attachments

• 20160820_104936.jpg
    20160820_104936.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 101
Haven't had the opportunity to get out much this year and nearly didn't bother yesterday figuring it would be a zoo with the JDF derby. Went out off waterfront solo and had a double header right away as the only boat at a spot I have never fished before (or seen others fish). Naturally lost the good one on a jump (high teens?) and landed the 4 lber. Picked up the wife and one year old at 14:00. Dropped the gear at another nearby spot where we were the only boat (chosen based on proximity to launch not chance of catching fish). Low and behold lost another little guy and then landed a 16.5. AP sandlance behind glow/uv flasher at 80-100. Pleasantly surprised for a midday cruise.

Bit of a late report after a busy week of moving! Fished for a couple hours Friday evening with a friend and his son who has never caught a Salmon. Hooked what was likely a mid teens fish, but, he still hasn't landed his first Salmon! He was doing fine at first but then the old lake fishing habits of drop the tip and reel got the best of him and one tail flip later it was over. Even though he lost it, I think the experience has him wanting to go back for more. It was a spectacular sunset and a great time.

20160819_201720.jpg

Saturday morning was out again with my brother and hooked up this low teener in 60 ft of water. Both this fish and the one we lost the night before were caught at 48 ft on the rigger with a UV flasher and the AP Herring spoon. This was our only hook up in about 3.5 hrs of fishing that morning and only saw 4 or 5 other nets out while we were there.

20160820_090457 (2).jpg

Went out off the waterfront on Sunday from about 7am-10am. The forecast was bang on - it was blowing a gale! Still managed one small spring before heading in.

there are fish out there.. lost one and landed another in the low teens last night. Saw a few others being caught too. It seems good one day and slow the next

Tried last night from 5ish to 8/9, no hits, not much bait on finder either

Lots of boats out front of harbour, only saw two boats get into something, both appeared to lose the fish.

Fished waterfront yesterday. Lots of boats, lots of bait. Lost 4! Nothing in the boat.
They are around, just gotta get them in the boat.
Stosh

Fished waterfront 7-12:30. All action we saw was around breakwater except for the humpback whale that breached amongst the boats off McCauley. Bet that made a few people crap themselves. Got another 8lb hatch coho, lost a good screamer then at 12:30 nailed this 27lber. Good fight. Everytime he saw the net he bolted. All hits today on blue/green/chrome bullet roll27 Breakwater.jpg29250[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 27 Breakwater 2.jpg
    27 Breakwater 2.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Out on the front at daylight today. Saw a screamer and a boat chase to keep up only to be lost to a seal. Over 40 boats out there and only a few nets out that I saw. Big boats and little boats. Lets say average of $20k 40x20 $800,000. for about 100lbs of fish. I think recreational fishing should have a little more economic respect....just saying. Hope the big schools move in soon, I need to wash of the skunk off the boat.

After 2 days of being skunked on the waterfront, I finally landed a smallish spring at 6 am this morning, followed by another hard hit about 10 minutes later that got away. Then 6 hours of nothing... Did a tour out in the tide lines looking for coho, but also no luck. It's been a while since we've had fresh salmon on the BBQ, so I'm happy I got the one.

Late post: Along with current post:

Monday decided to head out for a night bite with my 21 year old son, for his first fishing trip of the year, launched and fishing by 6 pm. Started just outside the harbour made it to last 1/3 of the breakwater made a loop on the inside by the kelp beds. When we got to the stairs by the end of the breakwater, rod goes off, nice fish fighting like its a 25 lber, but it's was only a 15. Rods back down made a loop, now back in front of the green marker bouy as we are making the turn, rod goes off, 7lb wild coho, back in the water she goes. We head back to the breakwater, make our loop, get past the end of the point and now we are between the breakwater and green marker, rod goes off, grab the rod set the hook, look over the other rod is going off now, double header springs. Tried to rush my fish in a bit, long leader, big reach on the net......but not enough, hook gets caught in the net, bye bye spring. We net the other one, 17.5 lber. Off the water at 7:50. 66'-74' feet on the rigger (3 at 66' 1 @ 74)

Tuesday: return to the water same time, off the water at 8:10. No love for Lime Rickey

Today: launched at 1:30, made a couple loops, 200 yards just past the breakwater, at about 3:15, rod goes off. We bring in a 13lber. 68' on the rigger. We stayed until about 6:45. Only saw action once for us today. Did't see anything else going on out there.

Fished the waterfront after the fog lifted this morning until 1:30. Got a 11# just before heading in, about 45' down in 75', on green/chrome teaser with purple haze flasher. Nice there weren't as many boats to maneuver around as last week. Wasn't exactly red hot fishing, but it looked like most boats got something.

Out at first light in the Victoria area, went 4/5 and back mid morning with our limit. #11, #14, #18 #20.

Attachments

• 14080059_1206666692730755_8745193482857655853_n.jpg
    14080059_1206666692730755_8745193482857655853_n.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 111
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back