2016 Tuna Adventures

Any updates on where the warm water is?

Happy times......Facebook just reminded me that ~4 years ago had an awesome day out with @Fishtofino . Arguably my best day of fishing....we had 25 or so that day and I was blown away. Only thing was I seemed to have acquired an "illness" that you guys all talk about. ;) :p

Like an idiot....forgot my pink hat that day so had to go white. :confused:

Symptoms.....smiled for about a week after, LOVE talking about that day and look forward to the next time.

View attachment 29395
Yeah, definitely was fun! Maybe we will do it again someday

Looks like the edge moved in about 10 miles this week off Tofino. Still to far for me.

Wanted to go. ....just pulled da pin. ....to far for me an the old man.....goodluck boyz......nuk em

Any updates on where the warm water is?
Here is the report for Friday's expedition. Bit of a late start out of Tofino left the dock@ 10am ran to Nitnat canyon, best temps we found was 59.8 no blue water. We trolled for 5 hours only managed 2 fish! Sure hope conditions improve for the derby.
btw Sculpin sure hope u have better luck at Winter hbr

Here is the report for Friday's expedition. Bit of a late start out of Tofino left the dock@ 10am ran to Nitnat canyon, best temps we found was 59.8 no blue water. We trolled for 5 hours only managed 2 fish! Sure hope conditions improve for the derby.
great to hear that you actually found fish smasher, hopefully it improves as the days go by. Was hoping to see bloody decks for you.
Nice grade of fish though?

Last edited:

I hope they were big ones at least!

image.jpg Well that didn't work well here is a pic of my go to lure I run 4 on the outriggers 2 cedar plugs on the corner flatlines and a centre spreader purple/black

How far out did you run OM?

Also I heard from Sculpin earlier today and they found some tuna off WH. Scratchy but descent. I am sure he will give a full report upon his return. He is staying for another go tomorrow.

How far was the run out of Tofino?

Anyone headed out Sunday morning?

Also I heard from Sculpin earlier today and they found some tuna off WH. Scratchy but descent. I am sure he will give a full report upon his return. He is staying for another go tomorrow.

furthest out we got was 80 miles from Tofino and about 80 from our home port Pacific Gateway Marina in Renfrew.

Not really clones but almost a hoochie on a 1 oz Crome

Looks fishy. Down south of you guys we don't get much action late season on surface gear, especially in the green water. If we can't find jumpers and have to troll we slow down a couple kts and use 2oz swimbaits, X-raps and diver boards. The subsurface gear typically outproduce 20-1. Diver boards are so fun to fish, love seeing them pop up and the handline you can keep trolling to pull in other fish then load of the spread. Or just yard them in and keep going without slowing down, clearing gear or even having to get the gaff out. And they give you 2 more hooks in the water because they are under and short of your corner rods.

Another tip you might try is keeping the bars in the corners without flatline clips on the face of the first wake, letting them "jump" a little. Then the clones/ hooch's on the next wake back set in the nest rod holders forward with the clips and the cedar plugs behind them on the riggers. I've found they work best when they can really jump around. And if you have a shotgun rod get a swimbait way back.

Just some different ideas to try on the slower days if you haven't already.

Hey everyone, Wondering if anyone knows of any Boats going in the Tuna Shoot-out that is looking for a few extra hands. I know there is a few seasonals at Poett Nook that have cash and just want to go! Any info would be great, thanks.

Back