2016 Tuna Adventures

Thanks for the offer guy but I'm booked for a job on the 10th and 11th but good to go before or after that if weather and water cooperates.

Ken

Just how fat a wallet does a guy have to have to deckhand on someone's boat? Always been so fascinated with this fishery.

Just how fat a wallet does a guy have to have to deckhand on someone's boat? Always been so fascinated with this fishery.
Depends on the owner and the size of boat.

As far as owners go some guys just want you to pay your share of the gas. On the other end of the spectrum owners will want gas, maintenance fees, storage shares, money for gear, travel gas, truck maintenance, the list goes on and on. If seen some interesting proposals here on the forum.

As far as boats go bigger boats go further but use more gas. My boat, aluminum 24 feet is a 300$ day for fishing 40 miles out but bigger boats will do that trip for 800$.

The answer to your question unfortunately is all over the map.

I have a 29' pursuit with twin 250's, avg trip can be between $500-$800 depending on weather and how far we travel. Split between 3-4 guys isn't bad for the distance we travel in a day. But it isn't only about the fuel, throw on your share of ice, food and any gear you lose. That is the part that gets forgotten, then there is the time you need to put in to scrub and clean after the trip, we usually split that between 2 Crew while the other 2 spend a few hours carking
Fish. So just remember a fat wallet is only a part of the package. If you do get an invite to take part, take part in all I have mentioned and the captain may invite you back. If you get the chance, take it, it worth every penny and minute you spend.

I have a 29' pursuit with twin 250's, avg trip can be between $500-$800 depending on weather and how far we travel. Split between 3-4 guys isn't bad for the distance we travel in a day. But it isn't only about the fuel, throw on your share of ice, food and any gear you lose. That is the part that gets forgotten, then there is the time you need to put in to scrub and clean after the trip, we usually split that between 2 Crew while the other 2 spend a few hours carking
Fish. So just remember a fat wallet is only a part of the package. If you do get an invite to take part, take part in all I have mentioned and the captain may invite you back. If you get the chance, take it, it worth every penny and minute you spend.
Tidal chaos.., you couldn't have said it better! We do lots of trips to the west coast, I have A 25 foot pursuit, and the mess afterwards is a lot to deal with. If you ever are looking for a crew, let me know, love to join! Best way to do it is to estimate your expenses for the trip, everyone throw there share in an envelope, and that's the boat, towing, and accommodation fund. Give or take a Hun or two. It's a lot of work being a boat owner, and if you have anal boat owners working together on one boat, should be a great outcome

Oh ya. I forgot about all the work. It certainly isn't a charter or guided trip. Good point.

I was on a trip with a skipper from this forum and he drove the boat all day while we jigged for tuna. It would have been an idea if I offered to do some driving during the day so that he could be on deck letting the first jigs down on the stops. I learned from that trip.

Oh ya. I forgot about all the work. Good point. I was on a trip with a skipper from this forum and he drove the boat all day while we jigged for tuna. It would have been an idea if I offered to do some driving during the day so that he could be on deck letting the first jigs down on the stops. I learned from that trip.

If it's who I think your referring too, he likes to drive so he can watch how hard his crew works reeling all the fish in and running gear.

Last edited:
If it's who I think your referring too, he likes to drive so he can watch how hard his crew works for him reeling all the fish in.

Another buddy of mine skippers like that when we are trolling.

Me: Hey ya wana fish for a bit?
Him: Na I'm fine.
Me: No, your going to come fish for a while.

Its a bit of a different skipper deckhand relationship.

Another buddy of mine skippers like that when we are trolling.

Me: Hey ya wana fish for a bit?
Him: Na I'm fine.
Me: No, your going to come fish for a while.

Its a bit of a different skipper deckhand relationship.

You sound like the kinda guy I like to fish with. Love it. Everyone gets a shot at the rail. I'm a boat owner and I know the work , insurance ,maintenance,gear, costs involved. And that's with a 17' boat. Just spent a week in Bamfield camping / fishing where I drove my buddy's boat almost the entire time while they fished; I was just happy to be on the boat fishing , and I reeled in one decent Chinook on my own gear. Win win really .
Never leave a buddy with a dirty boat. Wife's family likes to visit us in from the mainland, take all the fish home ( " you guys get to do this all the time" ) and then don't offer to help clean the boat. A few times not even chipping in for gas.... End rant. Back on topic.
Thanks for answering question btw. In my mimd jumping on someone's boat, spending the day bombing around waaay off shore smashing tuners for around or less than a g note seems fair. Hopefully one day I can scratch it off the bucket list!

Hows things looking?
Bouyweather looks okay for Wednesday. Don't have SST working, can't see the warm water.

Hows things looking?
Bouyweather looks okay for Wednesday. Don't have SST working, can't see the warm water.

The weather is looking better. The last good shots on Terrafin looked horrible for Chloro. I think the warm water will move in over the next few days (fingers crossed) but the blue water will be a crap shoot with no satellite shots. If the water looks ok, I'll be going on Saturday if the weather holds. It sure changes fast!

Gotta get out there. The fever has set back in and I have a major itch to scratch lol.

The weather is looking better. The last good shots on Terrafin looked horrible for Chloro. I think the warm water will move in over the next few days (fingers crossed) but the blue water will be a crap shoot with no satellite shots. If the water looks ok, I'll be going on Saturday if the weather holds. It sure changes fast!

Gotta get out there. The fever has set back in and I have a major itch to scratch lol.

I will be staying in Julias Pass from Thursday to Monday and have a couple of new guys I plan on passing the bug on to. Will be keeping an eye on the weather for Saturday.

Well Im going to wait and see the next available round of sat shots to see what things are looking like for us out of Tofino. Sad to say that I wouldn't be surprised if I called it and packed all my tuna gear away for the season. It just isn't looking good for me out of tofino this year. Sorry to be a party pooper.

Well Im going to wait and see the next available round of sat shots to see what things are looking like for us out of Tofino. Sad to say that I wouldn't be surprised if I called it and packed all my tuna gear away for the season. It just isn't looking good for me out of tofino this year. Sorry to be a party pooper.

Little ignorant when it comes to the Tuna fishery. Why pack it in so early??

Little ignorant when it comes to the Tuna fishery. Why pack it in so early??

He's probably just frustrated and needs a Snickers bar lol :D.

We fish em in October and call them Octuna. This year could be November and we would have to call them Notuna :eek::p.

In all seriousness, the folks down South are getting better days finally and all we need is a good push to get the water closer in. Patience is a virtue in this fishery. I predict there will be some tuna fishing in September for sure.

Last edited:
He's probably just frustrated and needs a Snickers bar lol :D.

We fish em in October and call them Octuna. This year could be November and we would have to call them Notuna :eek::p.

In all seriousness, the folks down South are getting better days finally and all we need is a good push to get the water closer in. Patience is a virtue in this fishery. I predict there will be some tuna fishing in September for sure.

BN, here have this snickers bar ur not ur self when ur hungry!!

As I reply this Aug 30th its pissing rain out and blowing fairly good as if it was December. We are obviously in some unstable weather pattern which seems to be what will be served for the next week. The closer to October I get the more cautious I become about making these trips, this and the unusually long distances to fishable water has me even more cautious. I suspect it will take at least 2 weeks for any water to be within reach for me here in tofino and thats getting pretty late-ish in the season. Sure their may be tuna out there but getting there and back safely is my priority. I am operating within my comfort levels as far a planning goes and these days I am far more inclined to cool the "fever" when things aren't looking so great. I can only fish out of tofino so I have no other options as others here may have.

IMHO i'm only telling it how I see it, it's only my opinion/situation.

images-1.jpeg

I get it Jay but my two last Octuna trips where the some of the smoothest sea's I have ever encountered out there. We are at the end of August, the Bamfield tuna shootout is always been in September, they have always caught fish during the shootout, and then you have the rest of the whole month of September to try. I agree the weather has been weird this year and it changes faster this year than others. This is concerning for sure and you have to have your A game on with the weather before going out, but I think we will see some tuna opportunities in September for sure. When??? I don't know, your guess is as good as mine. The folks down South are catching them in green water. If I get a good two day window I will be going out and trying something as long as I get a sliver of a satellite shot that looks promising.

Just trying to stay positive.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Back