2016 Tuna Adventures

Ya, I hear ya. This is just the worst, BY FAR, situation I have ever seen. By saying this I mean the fishable edge is almost 80 miles off right now.

I remember that Nice October we had. It was epic. I was hunting in a shorts and a t shirt for days on end.

Wait and see I guess.

Derby, your ignorant about the tuna fishery. Eat a snickers.

I have a tuna question. Is the fishery still strong in October? Specifically thanksgiving we would be rolling out of nootka sound.

I get it Jay but my two last Octuna trips where the some of the smoothest sea's I have ever encountered out there. We are at the end of August, the Bamfield tuna shootout is always been in September, they have always caught fish during the shootout, and then you have the rest of the whole month of September to try. I agree the weather has been weird this year and it changes faster this year than others. This is concerning for sure and you have to have your A game on with the weather before going out, but I think we will see some tuna opportunities in September for sure. When??? I don't know, your guess is as good as mine. The folks down South are catching them in green water. If I get a good two day window I will be going out and trying something as long as I get a sliver of a satellite shot that looks promising.

Just trying to stay positive.

Cheers,
Sculpin

I was just in Westport this weekend. They've had a weird year all season long. We had to go 64-68 miles out to find some good sized schools in the 62 degree water but
smaller boats have been hitting small schools the past few weeks only 37 miles out in 58 degree water. It's been a real maddening season for most skippers

BirdsnestWell-Known Member
New
Derby, your ignorant about the tuna fishery. Eat a snickers.

LOL...Had my crew throw a couple of Snickers at me on my Goldie trip ..

Sorry for my late response to Fat Wallet, been busy with work and preppin for bow hunting opener. I've been a boat owner for 25 years and had to weed thru the help and yes you bet it does include gear, insurance, boat maintenace, cleaning after a trip and on ( a lot I look after myself ) that being said I will absolutely cover my share of any costs and labor it takes to complete a trip successfull or not. Last trip to Ukie I was fortunate enough to connect with a skipper of a commercial boat that was fishing tuna in Northern California and was in port for crappie weather. We picked up 6 nice tuners on the round, largest 27# for $170.00. Some would say why bother if that's the cost? But I'm still dreaming of a out of control bite and fresh not frozen. If they show up I'll cover my costs and labor for a tuna trip.

I have a tuna question. Is the fishery still strong in October? Specifically thanksgiving we would be rolling out of nootka sound.

Most years its over in October. Their out there just bad weather or a big NW churns the water pushing the edge off.

Heading out tomorrow stay tuned!

Headed out of where, planning/hoping to heading out of Tofino this weekend. Good wind/waves, but not sure how far needed to go.

Headed out of where, planning/hoping to heading out of Tofino this weekend. Good wind/waves, but not sure how far needed to go.
Got some intel from a commercial tuna friend today, he is 125 mi off Ukie today but he is thinking of making a move to Nitnat canyon. According to him there is tuna water at the mouth, on the EEZ line

Happy times......Facebook just reminded me that ~4 years ago had an awesome day out with @Fishtofino . Arguably my best day of fishing....we had 25 or so that day and I was blown away. Only thing was I seemed to have acquired an "illness" that you guys all talk about. ;) :p

Like an idiot....forgot my pink hat that day so had to go white. :confused:

Symptoms.....smiled for about a week after, LOVE talking about that day and look forward to the next time.

Tuna.jpg

Will be my first time at Bamfield Tuna Shoot-out this year. I suspect that the contagion will be unavoidable (if we get out and they are within reach)

Happy times......Facebook just reminded me that ~4 years ago had an awesome day out with @Fishtofino . Arguably my best day of fishing....we had 25 or so that day and I was blown away. Only thing was I seemed to have acquired an "illness" that you guys all talk about. ;) :p

Like an idiot....forgot my pink hat that day so had to go white. :confused:

Symptoms.....smiled for about a week after, LOVE talking about that day and look forward to the next time.

View attachment 29395
You look like the kid who just got away with his hand in the cookie jar and didn't get caught..............

You look like the kid who just got away with his hand in the cookie jar and didn't get caught..............

I was ecstatic.....you can see the "cookie jar" behind me with more "cookies" in it. :p

Truth be told....I wasn't ready for the shot. ;)

Will be my first time at Bamfield Tuna Shoot-out this year. I suspect that the contagion will be unavoidable (if we get out and they are within reach)
Look forward to meeting you at the shootout.
PM me your boat name.

Guy

Back