2016 Tuna Adventures

Nice report Sculpin. I got one more tuna trip in yesterday out of Ilwaco. We only managed 4 but we saw many schools of jumper - we just couldn't get them to go on our troll gear. With luck, I'll get another chance in a week or two.

Sculpin i believe that that 9" baitfish is a Juvenile Sablefish. Interesting
We caught quite a few of those this summer and were great for Hali's and ling cod

Last edited:
So how did you find out the bering was gone. Billowing smoke or loud grinding? Just curious how to watch for that. I do feel my hubs for heat occasionally.

I enjoyed reading that very much.

I saw the billowing smoke in the headlights of a car that was passing us on a hill.

Last edited:
I saw the billowing smoke in the headlights of a car that was passing us on a hill.

Great write up Sculpin.

Know that feeling of looking at the wheel bearings and no way to fix it!! Now I check bearing's regularly for heat and carry two sets of bearings, grease and all necessary gear to getter fixed on the road. And run grease into the bearings probably more than they need.

Another great pots John, was bummed I could not make it out there with you guys. Conditions looked fantastic and the tuna gods hooked you up(no pun intended) Nice work all around!

Glad we could help you guys out, least we could do. Thanks for the Lucky's, they will not go to waste.

Cheers

So how did you find out the bering was gone. Billowing smoke or loud grinding? Just curious how to watch for that. I do feel my hubs for heat occasionally.

Sorry, don't mean to derail this thread...buy a digital temperature gun. We use them everytime we stop to check the trailer brakes and bearings.
If there is a big temperature difference between each brake or bearing / or temps are climbing, then there could be an problem.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-digital-temperature-reader-0574554p.html

These units sometimes are on sale for 50% off. Good tool to have for diagnosing.

Now back to the tuna reports...

beauty of a day on the reel west coast!

Back