2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

I think the Alberni guy's didnt do as well this year cause of the high cool water and the fish just beat it up the river and didn't stage as much.

I have no problem letting the Fraser socks have as good as an escapement as they can get, hopefully allowing them to give us a shot further along....big picture.
now get them nets outta the river.

Getbent

I agree....

On one last note... I wonder if the US screws around with the set efforts as they do up there. San Juan has had some decent number pass by yet the smaller efforts the DFO is doing at Cottonwood this year makes it look much smaller than it probably is. This is the 1st in a few years I see efforts all around the 5.XX mark. Where are the 7-8XX? Lol Looks to be a lot of socks in the river right now.

Cheers, R

don't get to hung up on the cottonwood test set he is using an electric net to keep the seals away. if not they would read zero

Was out today towards fisheries station and landed 4 coho. Biggest was 6 lbs. also saw a couple of nice springs taken. My fish were all on plastic.

hello, i have just joined this august group of anglers. So I would like to get some information on slow trolling for salmon in the English Bay and West Vancouver areas. I am a novice. Thanks

Check it out from a distance if your fishing the cap mouth and West shore, go with the flow and not against it. Following the pattern of the local guides is a good example, if some one hits a fish near you give em room. Stay clear of main channel for traffic, you'll know soon enough if the Harbour Cops are on ya. As far as slow troll ???? what do you mean you will find 2 to 3 knots works here well. If you hit fish, note everything, depth, speed, leader length, bait, spoon hootchie etc.. Lots of guys on here can help you. PM me if you want.
West shore and Cap generally fish better on a flood tide, but not always. Q/A, Q/B, Red Can, Freighters, Fisheries Station, Cowan, Roger Curtis, Pt. Atkinson they all can produce you fish at different times.

HT

Out yesterday late afternoon and evening - took a 25 off the the Fraser north arm. Just one take.

Was out again today fishing from the fisheries to the pink apartment. Marked lots of fish, but there mouths seemed to be sewn shut. Managed one 6 lb coho and lost a second. Slower today compared to yesterday.

I also caught that snag that was thought to be a crab line. I hit it at 15 ft with the downrigger ball. I managed to stop in time by letting the cabe run free on the downrigger and then back up on it. Got it to the boat and it turned out to be a bunch of line attached to an anchor. I am now the pround owner of an anchor that i will use on my duck boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was out again today fishing from the fisheries to the pink apartment. Marked lots of fish, but there mouths seemed to be sewn shut. Managed one 6 lb coho and lost a second. Slower today compared to yesterday.

I also caught that snag that was thought to be a crab line. I hit it at 15 ft with the downrigger ball. I managed to stop in time by letting the cabe run free on the downrigger and then back up on it. Got it to the boat and it turned out to be a bunch of line attached to an anchor. I am now the pround owner of an anchor that i will use on my duck boat.

Hey SS,

Was that the snag between Pt Atkins and the bell ?
If so your my Hero (and I want my cannon balls back LOL)
IF, it isn't your still our Hero and good job and feel free to keep all the gear on it :)

Fished west van Sat. and Sun. Landed a good size coho lost a few and got a 15 pound pea head. Purple haze teaser head with 6 inch chovie at 18 feet deep in 30 feet of water. Sunday I had 3 good smashes on the big ugly that didn't get good hook ups and lost one by hitting it in the head with the net ooops. The morrning high was best tide .

I was out yesteday. Fished early at the Bell Bouy, nothing for me saw one spring netted. Moved to West Van, Pink Apartments and west in shallow 1 wild released gently, no net no touchy, at 31' about 6lbs. Picked up a hatchery in at 21' and one other that didn't stick. Ran various hootchies and flasher combos on one side and bait on the other.They didn't like my hootchies, all action came on bait. Dropped the hatch rinsing after cleaning, the gill plate ripped through:(. I need a washdown system. Had to dodge some naked boaters on the way back in the river, aren't long weekends great! :)

I fished West van from noon till 6 PM yesterday. Had no luck until mid flood about 3 PM. Caught one 5 pound hatchery Coho, one mild sunburn and had a blast losing several more. One doubleheader with the Coho jumping 3 feet out of the water to spit the hook. All in all a good day and a great dinner

North Arm/Red Can

One hit for us, a 22lb red. Didn't see any action from the other boats, seems really spotty still.

Back