2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

I should also mention the guide boat that was JIGGING in 40 ft of water off the pink palace. WTF were they doing? Trying to snag star fish?

Don't laugh

I believe it's called kitchen sink. Killer lure and don't laugh. Jigging is super productive. Just ask all the princess guests.

Lots of reports (verbal and not on here) , report big springs being caught in shallow water .... Maybe time to fish the inside of t10, along the hump .......
If the water co-ops might just try it next week

They love to stack on the sand, that's for sure.
Some of my best fishing has been pulling them off of the humps in the shallows from T-10 to the South arm.

Yes it is called the Kitchen Sink....lucky strikes you should know this well....Good morning fisherman....lol

Getbent

If you have never tried jigging, maybe it's time, can be a great way to produce and fun ! When the fish show on your screen and are not taking your trolled presentation .... ya might want to give it a try ... It's a riot when it works !

HT

This is from an old post I discovered from Jason:
Drift fishing with zzingers and other jigs is the most fun way to fish for salmon, in oppinion. However, Vancouver doesn't have any spots that are really conducive to drift fishing. The salmon are moving too much and not really concenterated in one spot, which is what you need to be effective drift fishing. I think in the winter there maybe some good areas to try in English Bay but you gotta find the bait first. I caught coho at the Cap years ago on zzinger. I would love to try taking a drift for white springs there but the hunderd others trolling would take offence. The exeption is when the pinks are running, then cast where ever they jump.

The Gulf Island have some good spots. Especially the Flat Top Is and around Thrasher Rock. A round Comox has some of the best areas for drift fishing and that's where the Buzz Bomb and Zzinger were invented. I also really like some of the place on the Sunshine Coast like Beirres Shoals, the rock off Quarry Bay, the kelp beds off Savery, of course all those places are now not so good.

The bests tips for drift fish: 1. Always drop the lure on a slack line. Its best to use a reel that you have some feel of the line going out such as an old mooching reel or level wind so you can tell the speed the lines going out. Spinning reel aren't as good for that. 2. Be preparded to hook a fish the second you hit bottom or what you think is bottom. Salmon almost alway hit on the drop. Sometime they swim with it so if the line slow or stop or runs out more than it should for that depth, or move strangely set the hook. 3. Only jig a few times or until the line is about 60 degree then reel up and drop agian. Seriously if there is a salmon there it'll hit with in the first few jigs. 4. Move if your not catching fish. Never do a thousand drifts of the same area. If salmon are there you'll catch them the first coupld drift. 5. Fish the windward shore. Plankon with bait following it get push on to windward shores. 6. If its windy use a heavy spinning rod an cast the direction of the drift to about the disance that the bottom is at.

As for lures, I pretty much only use 2 1/2 oz Zzinger with the white body and dark back, pearl blue being my favorite for sping and coho. With that you can easily fish to 120'. I find glow ones and the other gotty colours don't work well for spring and coho. Some like small pink ones for pinks but they take pearl blue just as often.

Have fun, Jason

....they were in 30ft of water, no bait ball, and not on a school of fish! I like jigging but that was just dumb in my opinion.

Blanked exept a just barley undersized chin off the pink apartments today on a glow double skirt bouncing bottom. Put in 7 hours and did not see any fish landed other than our release.

What you guys need is the live bait sales to start up again,like the good ol days....those were the days!

After two springs last weekend I was hoping that more would be showing up Bell Buoy to Fraser North Arm to T10 - fished yesterday afternoon through the flood and evening ebb but nothing more than a couple of shakers. :( Some fish showing around Bell Buoy on the sounder.

fished sat. morning west van. fleet was fishing close to shore 20-60ft of water nothing for us. saw coho jumping in the shalows. wish i brought bucktails and fly rods.
moved to the bell in the afternoon, one hit, nothing landed.
bunch of undersize crab infront of jerico, maybe try deeper next time.

out at West Van sunday. two cohos for us both at 24' on the rigger in close a little west of the pink apartments on bait. A few shakers and a few bites that didn't stick. Had a buddies 12year old Grandson on board who got sea sick. "Can we go in now?" Ahhh in a little while! not.

out at West Van sunday. two cohos for us both at 24' on the rigger in close a little west of the pink apartments on bait. A few shakers and a few bites that didn't stick. Had a buddies 12year old Grandson on board who got sea sick. "Can we go in now?" Ahhh in a little while! not.

I flat out say no to kids coming, buy your own boat and take the kid fishing. I got too much invested and too few times I can get out for that crap.

Hey Blackmax,

Taking a kid fishing is a part of what it is all about for me, I just make sure they are prepared with one of the options to prevent them from getting sick. Don't get me wrong, I as well have a lot invested and my time is important on the water but showing others the wealth that we have at our doorstep is pretty cool.
Nothing like getting a kid into their first or biggest fish, alot of times they are easier to teach than an adult when it comes to playing and landing a fish.

I always remember my neighbour taking me out in the late 70's moochoing off Bowen with live herring for big springs, and I am still hooked to the day and have taken many kids myself now...

just my 2 cents....

getbent

I agree with both of ya, but I say when its hard core fishing leave the little guys ay home and take them when its bonding time, rethink your decision to bond when your BRO hasn't been off work to 10 days and only gets a few days off until he's back busting his butt, not a good time to bring sonny along for his fist time our or to test his seamanship .
Just my 3 cents , fishing must be slow out front again eh LOL

Hey Blackmax,

Taking a kid fishing is a part of what it is all about for me, I just make sure they are prepared with one of the options to prevent them from getting sick. Don't get me wrong, I as well have a lot invested and my time is important on the water but showing others the wealth that we have at our doorstep is pretty cool.
Nothing like getting a kid into their first or biggest fish, alot of times they are easier to teach than an adult when it comes to playing and landing a fish.

I always remember my neighbour taking me out in the late 70's moochoing off Bowen with live herring for big springs, and I am still hooked to the day and have taken many kids myself now...

just my 2 cents....

getbent

Don't get me wrong, i really enjoy introducing anyone into the thrill of fishing especially kids but... when you ask if the kid likes to fish and he won't get bored will he? then you just get the lines in the water and he's wanting to go back in cause he's sick. Well that's something you work through but then a couple of hours later he's over the sicknesss and it's now the boredom kicks in and are "we leaving soon."

Well, my thing is i really have a lot of trouble making the time to get out. i've only gotten out about 5 times this year and mostly with other people and i always give them the first fish. The way the fishing for me has been this year, I may have to buy salmon. But back to the point... after getting up at 3:30am I'm going to stay out until mid afternoon at least which we did.

i do go out myself at times and really should just do that more often.

Hey Blackmax,

I suppose I could take out the neighbour and his son, spend $100 on fuel for boat $40.00 for truck fuel and $50.00 for launch and tackle. Then for giggles watch the kid lose the only fish we hook, but I choose not to. Last time I did this there just wasn't any warm and fuzzy feeling.

Back