2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Out on the straight today at 10am , fished t10 but no luck so picked up and went over to the bell, fished the bell with no luck , picked up and went to ambelside, point atkins and fisheries put in but no luck, went back to bell and put gear back in the water and still no luck ....... only thing good about the day was being on the water , it was almost flat calm and nice and sunny !
Lots of commie crabers around t10 almost made it impossible to get between their gear.
Did see a few jumpers at t10 ...... maybe socks ?????

Hey Sir,

they would be socks for sure, did you nark any bait or fish holding on the sand at all?

getbent

Hey Sir,

they would be socks for sure, did you nark any bait or fish holding on the sand at all?

getbent

Didn't see anything but tough to get a good line with all the commercial gear to avoid.
But I was told , last week Orca were tight to the S ARM mouth and with the jumpers I saw , you would have to consider the Socs are arriving . Would be nice to get a surprise openning eh

Didn't see anything but tough to get a good line with all the commercial gear to avoid.
But I was told , last week Orca were tight to the S ARM mouth and with the jumpers I saw , you would have to consider the Socs are arriving . Would be nice to get a surprise openning eh

The test fishery catches of sox in Area 12 have been increasing over the past few days. Over the next week PSC should have a run size estimate of the summer run sox. I think an opening will be possible later in August if the run is large enough. The early summer run was 460,000 which is larger than expected.

Fingers crossed...

I have been watching the test nets for quite a few years. I have seen everything from the DFO sending the test boat in the Fraser to locations where there are no fishing to show low returns.... Then closing the river because the water is too warm and 4 years later having the largest return in 50 years....

I'm not sure what you are looking at as area 12 and 13 have had no fish show up yet except for pinks. (54,000 pinks in the last 7 days in area 12) As for sockeye there have been 3,200 in the same time frame. No where near enough for a opening for us. What has looked not bad was the last 7 days at San Juan test area of 7,200 sockeye. Now saying that... we could see an opening due to all the political stuff going on in the interior. Time will tell... All we can hope for is area 12 to hit 3,000+ a day before we see an opening.

Cheers, R

Hey Marsman, thanks for the info. I've been monitoring the test catches for a few years myself. I download the published spreadsheets from psc.org.

By my count, the past 7 days have produced:

Area 12 - Blinkhorn Sockeye Seine: 3605
Area 12 - Naka Creek Sockeye Gillnet: 757
Area 12 - Round Island Sockeye Gillnet: 251

So 4,613 sox in the past 7 days. That's certainly lower than last year when we did get an opening but they are also saying the runs are about 6 days behind last year. So we may just see a nice increase next week.

Definitely not saying it's for sure but I'm hoping for it!

Cheers

Kinda weird as I downloaded it today and got a total of 3176 from Area 12 seine for 7 days. I don't look at Naka or Round Island as it could be the same fish that get counted twice.(Not sure of the locations) Sorry if I offended you. Didn't mean to jump on it like that... just started typing. Lol Last year from Aug 1st to Aug 8th was 18,858 in the same 7 days. When I was up north in June the guys up there were saying that the fish were 2-3 weeks behind. I wish the DFO would just open it as for the amount of sockeye around the sports guys wouldn't do much damage anyways. (Look at Port Alberni) I hope there is an opening as it's a blast watching those lines bounce off the riggers in triple or quad hits...

Cheers, Rob

Let me call a DFO buddy and I will get the scoop on what might be coming..... Just talked and no rumors yet from the powers at hand.

Same site I go to. Do you have all the native sites and Albion test ones?

Figured it out... You did 9 days to get 3605.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me call a DFO buddy and I will get the scoop on what might be coming..... Just talked and no rumors yet from the powers at hand.

Same site I go to. Do you have all the native sites and Albion test ones?

Figured it out... You did 9 days to get 3605.

R

You're right, I as looking at the 24th though August 1st. My mistake!:)

Must be just wishful thinking on my part. Sockeye openings make fishing local worthwhile for me.

Cheers

I think the Alberni guy's didnt do as well this year cause of the high cool water and the fish just beat it up the river and didn't stage as much.

I have no problem letting the Fraser socks have as good as an escapement as they can get, hopefully allowing them to give us a shot further along....big picture.
now get them nets outta the river.

Getbent

winds

So The gov web site calls for nw 10-20, I would assume that would get messy out there. Then the other 2 sites call for much lighter winds but still nw. I always assumed that any nw winds out there over 10...15... it isn't much worth going out, I have a 16' k&c not exactly an off shore boat that is for sure. So I try to watch the winds for sea conditions religously, any advice is greatly appreciated, I am planning on going out tomorrow.

Back