2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

It's time to get this thread back on track. Your change of topic is an important one but not here.

Heard of some really decent reports from the past 2 days at the Bell Buoy. Springs to 18 pounds. Crabbing has also been very good on that side of the bay. It's time to get out there and file those reports ! Good luck.

Crabbing has been fantastic out there. Off Jericho and off the north arm jetty. A 4 hour soak and our traps were packed with males; all of legal size. some of them are still quite soft and I'd recommend tossing them back. There is very little meat in them and given time to grow over the spring should harden up nicely for July.

Usually fishing out of Nanaimo, but working in vancouver this summer, brought the boat over... will be heading out next week try bowen and area, will have handful of pictures from all the slaying and filleting.

Braided line

Like to hear what local guys think of the braided line,I'm getting the new Scotty riggers and have heard mixed reviews. btw I have 2 Cannon Mag 10's for $250.00 I'm selling.

Like to hear what local guys think of the braided line,I'm getting the new Scotty riggers and have heard mixed reviews. btw I have 2 Cannon Mag 10's for $250.00 I'm selling.
\

Start a new thread:mad:

Crabbing has been fantastic out there. Off Jericho and off the north arm jetty. A 4 hour soak and our traps were packed with males; all of legal size. some of them are still quite soft and I'd recommend tossing them back. There is very little meat in them and given time to grow over the spring should harden up nicely for July.

crabbing at North Arm Jetty, isn't that a 6' **** pipe?

Isn't that Iona closer to T-10? That's where the pipe is.

Yeah, there is a treatment plant at iona beach, that must be what he's thinking of. I set my traps off the north arm, out from wreck beach. It's a popular spot with both sport and commercial crab fishermen.

ya it looks to be between T-10 and the rock jetty. seems too close for my comfort, there is a pipeline nature walk that takes you out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya it looks to be between T-10 and the rock jetty. seems too close for my comfort, there is a pipeline nature walk that takes you out there.

The tides are pretty fierce with Fraser run off so pushes that crap everywhere in the area.You guys have any idea what gets pushed out of Burrard Inlet?

Out for the first time this year for a few hours around the Bell Bouy at noon.
Tried a few spoons out as I had no chovies on board.
Had one good bump on the deep rod
Not much chatter on the radio and didnt see any nets being used.
Pulled the crab trap with 2 keepers after a two hour soak.....dinner :)
Nice to be on the water

Fished QA and South Bowen from 8 till 4. Nothing for us except one good hit until 2:30 when we picked up 3 in short order. 18lbs, 13 and barely legal which we threw back. All on choives @ 130'. Green glow teaser head.

Would post pics, but no clue how too! Help?

Fished QA and South Bowen from 8 till 4. Nothing for us except one good hit until 2:30 when we picked up 3 in short order. 18lbs, 13 and barely legal which we threw back. All on choives @ 130'. Green glow teaser head.

Would post pics, but no clue how too! Help?

congrats on the fish! Were they at QA or over by Bowen? Would have been nice on the water I suspect:) As for the images, do you have a flickr account or photobucket? If you dont you can still post a small image thru this site. When you post, scroll down the screen to manage attachements section. Click that and it is pretty self explanatory.

Thanks!!Off Bowen in about 700 of water'. Will make a Flickr account today and post some pics.

when you get the flickr, go to the picture and size you want, right click, click properties and copy the url. When you have the URL its easy.... paste url in message , in front type (img) and and end of url type (/img) I USED WRONG BRACKETS, you have to use these ones [ ] .

when you get the flickr, go to the picture and size you want, right click, click properties and copy the url. When you have the URL its easy.... paste url in message , in front type (img) and and end of url type (/img) I USED WRONG BRACKETS, you have to use these ones [ ] .

7102537391_0d67061841.jpg

That's the boat alright. I would say it closer to 20' or so. Welded aluminum bowrider with a blue/grey painted hull. It used to have a 140hp honda but they upgraded to a new Yamaha 150hp last year. The boat is STILL there! They have seasonal moorage at the Sturdies Bay dock on Galiano Island and I can tell you first hand that I saw the boat there YESTERDAY! I didn't see anyone on the boat but I am very confident the 'guide' will be fishing again all summer long. If anyone does see him at the dock/on the ferry/etc. please try to take a look at what they are catching and report if needed. In the past I have asked him what he's caught and he acts like he knows the regs when we says 'no lingcod today as they are out of season' but the cooler often tells another story.

It wasn't a "guide" rather a boat (14-16ft grey and blue aluminum with a honda outboard) that was left tied up at the sturdies bay dock for years and groups of people would walk on the ferry from Tsawassen with their coolers and fishing rods and spend the whole day filling their coolers with anything and everything and walking back on the ferry and going back home. I heard they were from Richmond.... Im sure they've been reported dozens of times. The boat is gone now and hopefully we dont see it here again!

why doesnt someone leave him a note saying that he has been reported to DFO by multiple sources, and the we suspect he is still breakin regs . Also tell him that he will be watched by 100's of boats this summer, so don't even try and mess with the regs. Maybe fear will of others will be better than fear of DFO. Just an idea. PS a picture of him reading the note would be priceless.

That's the boat alright. I would say it closer to 20' or so. Welded aluminum bowrider with a blue/grey painted hull. It used to have a 140hp honda but they upgraded to a new Yamaha 150hp last year. The boat is STILL there! They have seasonal moorage at the Sturdies Bay dock on Galiano Island and I can tell you first hand that I saw the boat there YESTERDAY! I didn't see anyone on the boat but I am very confident the 'guide' will be fishing again all summer long. If anyone does see him at the dock/on the ferry/etc. please try to take a look at what they are catching and report if needed. In the past I have asked him what he's caught and he acts like he knows the regs when we says 'no lingcod today as they are out of season' but the cooler often tells another story.

Back