2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Fished off Thrasher rock yesterday without a sniff! Beautty day out there weather-wise but basically just washed my gear for 4 hours. Headed into Silva Bay and talked with a few guys who said Neck Point near Nanaimo was decent but that Thrasher was still a week or two away from when it usually turns on. I should have guessed it was gonna be slowed when I pulled up and saw only 2 other boats out there on such a nice day. Not worth the run for us Vancouver guys as of yet but that will change soon. Good to hear a few fish are being picked up off Bowen. keep them reports coming and sorry about sidetracking the thread with that poacher stuff.

Thanks for the report tincan. I was considering making the trip across yesterday but decided to stay local instead. Didn't catch anything here either.

Well hit up QA today and trolled around there and then out to the hump. One boat picked up a 20 or so lbs spring right at the QA in the river run out tide line just as I watched a big pod of porpoise roll through towards passge. That was the only fish taken I heard of from the 5 0r so boats fishing the QA. Spent a few more hours working my way out at the hump and had a double at around 3 pm an hour and a half after the tide change and the start of the flood I GUESS. First fish hit the bottom rod armed with anchovy in a army truck head and as I set the hook the top rod went off big time. My wife grabbed it and I was working my fish to the boat only to have it spit the hook on the surface after a few good runs . We never got a look at the wifes fish but she said it was big with some good head shakes, it sure peeled out the line. Of course just as the fish hit our 6 month old starts freaking out and I was just in the middle of stacking up the other rigger, a real **** show , oh well . Fish were at 120 and 90. Crabbing was excellent and prawning was good with all jumbos for mr but can not average more than 30 or 40 per pot.

Apr 21b.JPGApr 21 a.JPGApr 21.JPGSome pictures from Saturday afternoon... My buddies first salmon he has ever caught. He lost his brother in a very tragic accident about 3 weeks ago, so it was a pretty good feeling seeing the smile on his face when he was reeling it in.. Very excited once it was in the boat. He was convinced it was 30lbs, which I knew it was no where close...once on the scale it weighed in at 15lbs.. Either way, couldnt be happier making him smile and getting his mind off everything else in life.. Guess thats whats it is all about...

Thanks Stones for the help on posting pics. Hope they work..

[

Last edited by a moderator:
great report! We will be poking around Wednesday near Bowen, anyone else planning on being in the area?

Is 88a the channel to monitor for most you folks??

88 is the channel, the hump should be getting really hot now.
boat should be ready soon,

Where is FM....

getbent

88 is the channel, the hump should be getting really hot now.
boat should be ready soon,

Where is FM....

getbent

"Should" is the operative word there Getbent. Thus far the South Bowen fishery has been "hit 'n miss" as you can tell from this forum. Until this point, if you put your time in and happen on the right place at the right time you are rewarded. I think it's going to improve in a big way shortly though....

Commercial Prawners are locked 'n loaded and ready to fire and they're already out doing some "testing" for where to put their first sets. Get out now for some of your last opportunities to have at it.

VERY LUMPY today and no bites for myself or the other boat out today . I trolled from QA into passage , passage back out to QA crossed over and worked into to cowan point, the other boat did a similar tack but nothing. Prawing was dead slow also which was strange and crabbing was deadly catch. Ran 3 rods 124. 94 and 74 armed with cop car spoon, army truck with sliver bait and double skirt glo ugly. Can't wait for a flood tide end of this week.

Was out on Saturday and fished the top end of the hump (roughly roger curtis). Picked up 1 about 13lb and did a long line release on a shaker. Caught the fish on a glow green with the chart speckle spoon at 100'; about 10:00am. Prawing was great but looks like the commercial guys will open soon then it will be time for me to stack the traps up until next year. Anyone have a date on the opening for the commercial season?

Hello

I hope everyone had a great winter and see here that things are starting to happen,I just spent a week with my boat on the hard at grandville Island marina.My buddy and I sanded off the blue bottom paint last tuesday what a friction job that was!!!!!!! WE wore the has mat suits gloves,respirators,goggles and the rest of the gamet took us 8 hours to sand it all off taking t down to the gel coat,what a job thank christ thats done for another 10 years or so,when we were done we looked like we were part of the blue man group!!!!

John Miller is helping me do the whole process sine Ive never done it before,two coats of epoxy then two coats of vivid black paint and she's ready for action putting back into the drink tomorrow morning then its fish on for the season,had it detailed also it looks like a totaly different grady now,ill be out a lot next month so Ill have a lot of reports,sorry to bore you with this but Im pumped it all ready finaly before the season gets going!!!

Had a good time at the gathering in nov we should organize another at the end of may so we can all get together and discuss our plans for the summer,take care!!!

Tight lines
Billydoo

According to my journals, we should be filling the boats on the tide as dmurph points out. Yes FM it is right place right time, good for me that they are late though...LOL

If anybody is around and not on the water this Saturday, the Nicomekl Enhancement Society is holding it's annual open house and release. 25,000 chinook and 50,000 coho. Come on out and check out our new operation. $250K in funding from the Pacific Salmon Foundation is going to allow us to really up our enhancement efforts which will benefit us all. The new hatchery will be up and running for this years brood stock 5300 block of 232nd Street.

Im slowly rolling over here not being on the water...had to pull the motor to do the heads...ouch.

Good luck boys...

Getbent

The commercial season starts either the 3rd or 4th of May.

Was out on Saturday and fished the top end of the hump (roughly roger curtis). Picked up 1 about 13lb and did a long line release on a shaker. Caught the fish on a glow green with the chart speckle spoon at 100'; about 10:00am. Prawing was great but looks like the commercial guys will open soon then it will be time for me to stack the traps up until next year. Anyone have a date on the opening for the commercial season?

Heading out Friday afternoon. Anyone else going out? Trying to decide between Bowen and frieghters//QA QB, Bell.

Heading out to the Nicomekl Enhancement Society Salmon release partry on Sat for my Son's 1st birthday Party with all his friends .....always a good time and Get bent cooks a mean smokie. Hope to see some of you boys and gals out. Also a fantastic raffle for a guided trip for 3 to Bamfield worth $2700 with accomodation. Islander reel and 9' Pontoon boat up for grabs too. Tix still Avail for $10 (only 1000 avail) Sat at 12pm (5300 block of 232nd Street) Raffle is at 1pm

GB get that boat ready amigo...I'm getting the itch.

Back