2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Oh,
I asked cause I seen an aluminum get one caught up in his prop and drag it for a bit,
then once he got it untangled I only seen him coiling up the cheap yellow cord so must have cut the trap off and left it on the bottom.

We came around from north arm to Van last sunday.
2 aluminum skiffs full of variety of traps fishing from Royal Van to Red can bouy......
2 native poachers in each one .
go figure.

2 aluminum skiffs full of variety of traps fishing from Royal Van to Red can bouy......
go figure.

Sound's pretty racist. Got any proof they were poaching?

Your personality on this site is starting to shine through.

Last edited by a moderator:
go figure.

Capt Hook - the following is from a prior post of yours - "IF YOU CAN ......THINK BEFORE YOU POST !!!!! YOUR ATTITUDE IS "OUR " PROBLEM AND IT HURTS US ALL !!!!!"

Reading that might provide a good mental check for yourself (and us all). " ... think before you post ..." is a really good suggestion.

...accept I've seen them too first thing in the morning once.

Sound's pretty racist. Got any proof they were poaching?

Your personality on this site is starting to shine through.

racist ? not.... but i do know if they had first nation tribal food fish permits , they would have to have the numbers posted on the side of thier vessel.
They had zero ID or numbers , name nada , zip zero on alum skiff...
I also know a few of the clan and know whats going
down out there. This is not food fish , it s being trucked right to the restruants....... oh geee is that racist comment?
I,m sorry you dont like what i have to say , Sculpin but sometimes the truth hurts.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Capt Hook - the following is from a prior post of yours - "IF YOU CAN ......THINK BEFORE YOU POST !!!!! YOUR ATTITUDE IS "OUR " PROBLEM AND IT HURTS US ALL !!!!!"

Reading that might provide a good mental check for yourself (and us all). " ... think before you post ..." is a really good suggestion.

not sure how to take this ... yes i said that to Holmes who is always on here bragging about how he and his following is going to take what they want when they want and as much as they want and forget about rules and regulations..... hmmmm? do you have a problem with that? I do.
so i called him on it.....

I had to do the pirate thing once and I hope to never have to do it again. I did get all my prawn stuff back but I was shaking for 1/2 an hour afterwards. I couldn't even drive the boat I was so hopped up on adrenaline!!!!

...sounds like a story for the lead party!

racist ? not.... but i do know if they had first nation tribal food fish permits , they would have to have the numbers posted on the side of thier vessel.
They had zero ID or numbers , name nada , zip zero on alum skiff...
I also know a few of the clan and know whats going
down out there. This is not food fish , it s being trucked right to the restruants....... oh geee is that racist comment?
I,m sorry you dont like what i have to say , Sculpin but sometimes the truth hurts.....

said skiff prob has been wiping out
the sunshine coast area
since last summer
crabbing in the wee hours in darkness setting 60 traps per buoy and now all where getting is undersize and females

from throwing back legal size in aug/ oct and only taking 7-8" now nada??? go figure thanks

DFO helpless spoils it for all

today fished grace no hits

water full of scum and crap on lines to the point of having to hand pull the line clean
not sure if its algae or slime but even the rigger lines where getting smeg over them....lol

till next time

I finally got a chance to go out and enjoy the family boat on Saturday. After dropping the crab traps we decided to try south Bowen for a few hours. We setup shop on the east side of Cowen Point out of the wind. By noon it was like glass just in time for our hotdog lunch. With the BBQ smoking we got our one and only bite. 160ft on the rigger in 500ft of water with a green glow flasher and cop car coyote. White spring, no scale but figure it was in the high teens. Keep the posts coming! They helped improve on what was already a perfect day. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG00251.jpg
    IMG00251.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG00253.jpg
    IMG00253.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG00249.jpg
    IMG00249.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 173
there is also traps laid regularly form the bell buoy thru jerico with no floats on them. first time I saw a boat throwing a grappling hook and stayed close to see what they were trying to pickup eventrually they hooked their trap line and pulled ur in. Once they noticed i was watching started yelling expletives at me- Aluminum boat no markings no numbers. Got their load and headed around towards the river. Seen em several times.

there is also traps laid regularly form the bell buoy thru jerico with no floats on them. first time I saw a boat throwing a grappling hook and stayed close to see what they were trying to pickup eventrually they hooked their trap line and pulled ur in. Once they noticed i was watching started yelling expletives at me- Aluminum boat no markings no numbers. Got their load and headed around towards the river. Seen em several times.

I believe devers & I accidentally hooked that line once fishing Sockeye in the area and Yes they have nothing for buoys.

Has anyone who's seen this so called crab poacher boat called DFO? In speaking with the Fisheries Officers out of the Squamish DFO Office they need reports to be called into Observe, Record and Report line. I would suggest anyone seeing suscpious activity phone it in. See below for more info:

1-800-465-4336 or in Greater Vancouver: 604-607-4186

An important goal of enforcement is the prevention of violations before damage is done. The watchful eyes of everyone can provide a strong deterrent to potential violators and stop offences before they happen.
Observe: Some common violations are:
•exceeding the daily limit
•fishing in a closed area
•using illegal gear
•damage to fish habitat and pollution

Record: Carry a pencil and record your observations
•Date, time and location (e.g.: nearest town, fishing location)
•Identity or description of violators (e.g.: height, weight, hair colour)
•Boat or vehicle description (e.g.: licence, colour, make)
•Evidence at the scene
•Action of violator(s)

Violations should be reported as soon as possible to DFO’s ORR phone line:
1-800-465-4336

or in Greater Vancouver:
604-607-4186

The provincial Ministry of Environment has established a toll-free hotline, Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP), which allows you to report known or suspected poachers and polluters. For any fish, wildlife or environmental offences in non-marine areas, please call the provincial RAPP line at: 1-877-952-RAPP (7277)

The British Columbia Wildlife Federation offers rewards of up to $2,000 for information leading to charges being laid against a person harming fish and wildlife and their habitat, as well as to private property belonging to mining, forestry, farmers and ranchers or other private concerns. Call the RAPP line.

For information, consult the BC Wildlife Federation's Wilderness Watch Program, or contact the Federation at:
1-888-881-2293

I finally got a chance to go out and enjoy the family boat on Saturday. After dropping the crab traps we decided to try south Bowen for a few hours. We setup shop on the east side of Cowen Point out of the wind. By noon it was like glass just in time for our hotdog lunch. With the BBQ smoking we got our one and only bite. 160ft on the rigger in 500ft of water with a green glow flasher and cop car coyote. White spring, no scale but figure it was in the high teens. Keep the posts coming! They helped improve on what was already a perfect day. Thanks!

Nice fish! I can hear the engines running as a result of that great picture!

Thanks for the info. It's a good idea to store these numbers below in your phone so you can make the call right away if you are witnessing something illegal. There is a boat in the gulf islands that does fishing charters and I've seen them with 6-8 guys jigging for bottom fish and keeping all sorts of undersized lingcod as well as small rockfish and greenling, etc. The groups would come across from the mainland for the day and head home with a cooler full of cod, etc., much of it undersized when I once peeked into their cooler. I will continue to look out for them and if I see them with illegal catch again will contact the ORR line below.

Has anyone who's seen this so called crab poacher boat called DFO? In speaking with the Fisheries Officers out of the Squamish DFO Office they need reports to be called into Observe, Record and Report line. I would suggest anyone seeing suscpious activity phone it in. See below for more info:

1-800-465-4336 or in Greater Vancouver: 604-607-4186

An important goal of enforcement is the prevention of violations before damage is done. The watchful eyes of everyone can provide a strong deterrent to potential violators and stop offences before they happen.
Observe: Some common violations are:
•exceeding the daily limit
•fishing in a closed area
•using illegal gear
•damage to fish habitat and pollution

Record: Carry a pencil and record your observations
•Date, time and location (e.g.: nearest town, fishing location)
•Identity or description of violators (e.g.: height, weight, hair colour)
•Boat or vehicle description (e.g.: licence, colour, make)
•Evidence at the scene
•Action of violator(s)

Violations should be reported as soon as possible to DFO’s ORR phone line:
1-800-465-4336

or in Greater Vancouver:
604-607-4186

The provincial Ministry of Environment has established a toll-free hotline, Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP), which allows you to report known or suspected poachers and polluters. For any fish, wildlife or environmental offences in non-marine areas, please call the provincial RAPP line at: 1-877-952-RAPP (7277)

The British Columbia Wildlife Federation offers rewards of up to $2,000 for information leading to charges being laid against a person harming fish and wildlife and their habitat, as well as to private property belonging to mining, forestry, farmers and ranchers or other private concerns. Call the RAPP line.

For information, consult the BC Wildlife Federation's Wilderness Watch Program, or contact the Federation at:
1-888-881-2293

Back