2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Heading out Friday afternoon. Anyone else going out? Trying to decide between Bowen and frieghters//QA QB, Bell.

I'm looking at Friday as well but totaly depends on the winds. If I was to go I wouldn't fool around and will head straight for the hump.

Where exactly is the "hump" ? I know there are coordinates posted in this thread but they dont seem to work? What is the best way to find the hump? TY in advance.

You can go to the QA and depending on the wind head northwest and you will see boats about 2 miles out or further off Bowen. I have sounded as shallow as 350ft. but never set a waypoint.

Yup, the water comes up from 800 to 450 feet and it looks like a "hump" pointed in a southerly direction.... look on your charts/plotter and you'll see it. It's an interesting stretch of water in seemingly the middle of nowhere..., but I can't say I've had my best moments off South Bowen there. Nevertheless, we've pulled a few out of there... ;)

Yup, the water comes up from 800 to 450 feet and it looks like a "hump" pointed in a southerly direction.... look on your charts/plotter and you'll see it. It's an interesting stretch of water in seemingly the middle of nowhere..., but I can't say I've had my best moments off South Bowen there. Nevertheless, we've pulled a few out of there... ;)

So I take it that when people refer to the HUMP, they are not always referring to South Bowen. Closer to Bowen can be it's own location? When I worked at Sewell's, I remember starting around the south east pointnd heading on about a 45 degree angle towards vancouver island. Is that how people fish Bowen or do the mirror the shoreling but stay a ways off shore? Sorry for the questions but I only fished Bowen that one time about 23 years ago.

hump.jpg

Funny thing about that area for me is I seemed to catch all my fish trolling in the one direction. Other places this doesn't seem to happen, I can't explain it but now when we get one I pull everything up and get back to area and troll through the same way. We had multiple fish days doing this instead of going around in circles. Could be just coincidence I guess.

Wed Report....

Got out at first light from Iona Beach, great launch first time using it....not to shabby! Quiet day on the water with only one boat seen all day (fished 6am-5pm)....weather suprised us, thought it was going to be ugly but it wasn't too bad...anywhoo...

Basically worked the crab and prawn traps hard today, we did troll some lines over the hump but the wind was a little tough to compete with the wind and we couldn't give it our best effort. Unfortunatly no salmon report...

Crabbing off the the outside end of jericho was bumper, and no poachers today! We ran 6 traps and were able to selectively pick out best crabs for limit. Always worth a smile and had one pull of a big trap that was just stuffed full. 80-30ft of water with the best pulls in shallower water.

Prawning was far better than my last outing, but still not the bucketfulls I see from other members but, head on we filled half a 5 gallon pale roughly, pleasing as well! Prawned in between Pt. Atkinson and Bowen, closer to bowen, outfront that small island (the name escapes me at the moment...)

Hoping some good salmon reports start popping up, rather than just scratching for a lucky...or unlucky fish!

-FB-

Boat should be ready soon LS, getting some leg work done as well now...never ends!
Here's hoping one of us wins the trip again, that was a blast.
Just found out last night at executive that we will have between 70-90k coho smolts for this year from inch creek, should be a good return in 3 years

I have fished the hump in all directions and hit fish, even with the wind at our backs and moving at 3+ was not a problem but I know what you are saying Blackmax about pulling gear and doing another tack, it is the only way to go sometimes.

here's hoping to see some good reports soon!

Getbent

Give us some good reports

Man I am itching to get out. Been dealing with a sciatic issue in my left hip/leg and was advised to stay clear of the boat for a few weeks. It's been 5 weeks now and I'm dieing here seeing all the pictures and storeis of fish being pulled out. Don't think I'm getting out until mid May, when I'm at Galiano for a full week. Hopefully the fish are in the area by then. I really need to catch a fish!

Tulameen, hope you get better soon. I had the same issue for about 10 months this year. I thought a chiropractor would help but no...doctor helped by giving meds to mask pain but no cure. I am not a person who recommends any med treatment at all but this time I have too. A few people told me, so I tried, Cieracyl (spelling wrong?). Not the ointment, the pill. It is a nutural clay and apparently attached to toxins and flushes them out blah blah blah. All I know is that I was in enourmous pain for 8+ months straight (while going to chiro and doctors) and after 6 days of this.....amazing difference,. It is at Finlandia and other natural stores. Worth a try IMHO. Sent me a inbox if you want more info.

Best wishes,

Stones. (aka Brad)

I'm willing to try anything at this point. Been 5 weeks at physio. Had multiple IMS treatments, which really hurt, but do work. Pain is not nearly as bad now, but still dealing with major stiffness and tightness in the whole left leg. Mainly the hip and hamstring. I'm way to active to have this happen. Haven't been on my dirt bike yet this year and 5 weeks of no boating. I'm going nuts!!! Good thing I have alcohol! Thanks for the advice Stones. I'll give the stuff a try.

It's good to see lots of fish being caught locally. It seems most are being caught around Bowen and the hump. Will they be around the mouth of CAP/QB area? Or is it better fishing out Bowen area? I'm thinking of sneaking out on the boat this weekend, but I don't want to go too far out where it can be lumpy and might aggravate my injury. The physio thinks the pounding from swells might be causing the sciatic issue. If I can stay near the Cap/QB area, I might be able to go out. But if it stinks around there, I'll wait another couple of weeks.

tulameen....blew two discs in my back which led to sciatic issues....the only thing that worked for me, tho i didn't try stones remedy was keeping active. Im not saying run marathons or anything...but don't get stuck to a couch if possible...only seemed to prolong it for me. Just mild activity, go for a walk in the park or a light swim.

bout all that worked for me...

or after 5 beers....pain started to go away temporarily.

I'm active. Walking at least 5 km per walk on the weekends and usually 30--45 minutes per night. Plus my excercises and stretching. Walking and moving around isn't the issue. If I sit or lay down, getting back up is painful. Also bending over to pick something up off the floor is painful as well. Although the pain is dimishing after 5 weeks of physio, but there is still lots stiffness. I'm exhibiting the symptoms of sciatica, but I passed every test they threw at me with flying colors. So they have ruled sciatica out. What I have is pretty much pirraformus (sp??) syndrome. My sciatic nerve runs through this muscle. For whatever reason, this muscle is extremely tight and is pinching off the movement of the sciatic nerve. So when I go from sitting/laying to standing up, I have to stand still and arc my back/neck until the nerve releases from the muscle. It basically snaps like an elastic band once the muscle releases it. I kind of yelp like a wounded dog when it releases. I was laying on the couch when this pain first started 5 weeks ago and I sneezed. I passed out for about 30 seconds from the pain. My wife was actually calling 911 as I woke up. It's not that bad anymore, but it is still limiting my abilities to do what I want. I'm an avid dirt biker and I can even imagine how painful wiping out would be. Plus once I'm on the ground, getting up might be an issue. I'm hoping the physio will continue to make it better, but I'm just getting frustrated because it's not going away.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I find it very helpful to hear what everybody does/did to help with the pain. I'll try pretty much anything at this point to make it go away. Tequila and beer with a T3 seemed to be the best remedy I have found so far for the pain.

Tequila and beer with a T3 seemed to be the best remedy I have found so far for the pain.

Would NOT do that, as much as it helps the pain, do NOT mix those two!!! Mixing acetominophin (Tylenol) and alchol can be literally deadly. Both do terrible damage to your liver when mixed together, and its documented to have caused immidiate liver failure which lead to death (please do a quick google). You want to keep on fishin' so ya...would not recommend doing that!!

Find another route, your wife may agree as one 911 call was I'm sure enough!

I only did the t3 tequila thing once when the pain was unbearable. Not in bad pain right now. Haven't medicated for pain in about a month. Was at my physio today and we finally figured out what is causing my pain. My sacrum (sp?) is rotated, which is pulling on my pirraformus muscle, causing the sciatic nerve to rub where it shouldn't rub. I knew I did more to back when I hurt it in December. I hurt it playing soccer. Passed out on the sidelines and ambulanced to the emerg and all that fun stuff. I knew I did more then just mess up all the muscles around my lumbar. I felt stuff move when I did the original injury. But it wasn't really visible because all the muscles have been in spasm and super tight for a long time. They've released a bit and she could see the sacrum was not acting like it should. Finally we can fix the problem and I can hopefully be over this pain in a$$. Watch out fish, I'm getting better and coming to get you!

I only did the t3 tequila thing once when the pain was unbearable. Not in bad pain right now. Haven't medicated for pain in about a month. Was at my physio today and we finally figured out what is causing my pain. My sacrum (sp?) is rotated, which is pulling on my pirraformus muscle, causing the sciatic nerve to rub where it shouldn't rub. I knew I did more to back when I hurt it in December. I hurt it playing soccer. Passed out on the sidelines and ambulanced to the emerg and all that fun stuff. I knew I did more then just mess up all the muscles around my lumbar. I felt stuff move when I did the original injury. But it wasn't really visible because all the muscles have been in spasm and super tight for a long time. They've released a bit and she could see the sacrum was not acting like it should. Finally we can fix the problem and I can hopefully be over this pain in a$$. Watch out fish, I'm getting better and coming to get you!

I think you spelled Scrotum wrong :D The sieracyl sierasil (? sp) stuff I mentioned acts like an anti inflamitory but is no medicinal so you can have Tequila with it

go to false creek medical clinic and have a mri you probably have a cyst pressing on a nerve that can easily be removed free medical system cares not a dam about your pain

Back