2008 fishing

scott craven

How many of us have yet to put a Spring on your licence this year ? (assuming you've been fishing)
I'm ashamed to admit, but my licence is still a virgin...:(

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

My new boat has yet to catch a spring...my wife is convinced it's bad electronics or some sort of voo-doo curse. Maybe 5 or 6 trips this year? Unfortunately, including a Nootka visit in there...

I caught my first spring of the year at Renfrew last week, and I can tell you that after the dry spell, that 20 pounder felt like a 40.

:)

Your time will come, and when it does it'll be "like the first time"!

p.s. my boat is now working once again...problem was just a bad prop, so back on it again. I think I'm going to tow it to Renfrew, start at dawn, and keep fishing until there's one aboard -- even if it takes days.

I confess to being skunked for Springs. My Nootka trip produced Coho,only one of which I could retain as it was clipped.

quote:Originally posted by ipbuckin

I confess to being skunked for Springs. My Nootka trip produced Coho,only one of which I could retain as it was clipped.

Me and you should form a support group, dealing with the trauma of being skunked at Nootka. ;)

NEXT TIME, things will be different I'm sure!

4 of us spent week of July 7 at Nootka and we all limited out on Springs. Weather was great! Smallest was 18 and the 2 biggest - 31. Most in the 20's. A few Coho. We did also release a number of fish. The colour they seemed seemed to like was Green, with anchovies on a short hookup trolled fast at 40 - 45 feet. Last year we did well on Purple Haze. Go figure! All very active fish this year - much fun. Was pretty rough outside, but we did get out to Bajo one day, was hard to fish in 10 foot waves, so no ground fish. Did well Prawning, but could not locate a good spot for Crab. Perhaps someone out there has a location they may share. We did lose a couple of bigger fish the first couple of days, probably somewhat due to operator error - we obviously needed retraining! Three of our crew somewhat new to this type of fishing, but they are now hooked! Stayed at Critter Cove - good service as always - Gas dock has moved, and has a separate access, with a store, bait , etc. Very genial service. Have never seen so many whales, perhaps a good sign. Went up to Tahsis for supper one night - good restaurant on the dock there. Heading back to Nootka on the 13th. We have been going to this area, for a number of years, and always seem to do well. Good fishing!

Well done LittleG: Now c'mon you guys, somebody give this poor guy some crab coordinates. I mean really.;) eman:D

Between the wife and I, there is 7 springs on the licence and one ling. Hope to add to that this weekend as I am taking an extended long weekend and fishing Winter Harbour or Port Hardy or around home, depending on the wind gods of course:D

Cheers

SS

Fishing001.jpg

Have 2 on the licence from this May in C.R. :) :)

Hopin to add to it when I hit Sooke in 2 weeks...

IMG_1021-1.jpg

Haven't caught a salmon yet this year, not a coho, spring, or even a pink. The worst year I have ever known. Probably because I have only been fishing locally in the Comox to Kitty Coleman area. Sad or what!! :( Congratulations to those that have done well.:)

Had to go to the Charlottes to get 3 on mine.Now I'm going to try for four more in Bamfield next week.
The reports have been so bad that I haven't even put my boat in the water[V]

Hooch

Headed to port McNeil on the first with the new boat my tag is also at 0 but I have'nt fished yet. Outlook GOOD (new moon good tides) and the talk of a big run headed to the Fraser that is just about to hit North Vancouver Island The last was a roumer my father heard while out at Kyuquot. But I have faith

Picture002-1.jpg

I went for 5 straight salmon skunks in Tofino, all inside waters in my little boat July 20-24. Then fished Uki for 3 days in a real boat and we got easy limits of springs for 5 guys and a few marked coho. Nothing huge, but lots of fish on the banks 5 and 26 miles out of Uki. Tofino guys were going to Heysen(sp?) Bank 14 miles out and getting decent numbers of 15-20 lbers.

Catching's been slow compared to last year [V]
Only got me one mark. Maybe its a sign of times to come.

Got to find me another hobby like golf or somethin' :D
cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

Hey Gypseas, might have something to do with puting octopus in your crab traps.......:D:D if you are referring to crabs... SS

ps I do understand however that getting crabs on the Island is not all that challenging, if you know what I mean....:D:D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

You're right, it is about location. Locals here, are now calling the Georgia Strait "the dead sea". I think I will start polishing up the golf clubs.[8D]

Back