40th bday charter/lodge ideas?

kingblazer84

So next year ill be turning the big 4 0 on Aug 6th 2025, and was wondering what guys have for recommendations of lodges that aren't CRAZY priced but still get you into decent fish. I'm planning a year in advance so hopefully some of the prime times in late july and early Hawgust are available. Prices seem to be all over the board ill be having a party of 4 of us.

Ive looked into so far

Eagle Nook
Duncanby Lodge
Rugged Point Lodge
Nootka

lemme know your ideas of locations boys

cheers

Nick

It really depends on what you want for the experience and what "decent" fish means to you.

Those dates are primetime everywhere on the coast - you may always run into a dreaded cold streak, but that can happen anywhere and really shouldn't be accounted for. Do you want to go somewhere with few boats and feel like you're removed from it all? Or does that not matter to you? Costs more to get more remote.

Decent = big - go to Haida Gwaii or the Central Coast. If you're thinking Duncanby is within the budget, then you're not really limited. Langara has unguided options, so does Duncanby, which helps keep the cost down. Joe's is less expensive than most and also unguided. These areas will generally have fewer boats a feel like more of an adventure. But the cost represents that... Haida Gwaii sees more populations of fish and is likely more consistent than the central coast. But there are chances at big fish in both locations. Some good operations in Masset that'll get you on good fish.

Decent = many - go anywhere at that time! Haida Gwaii, CC, north and west coasts of the island are all going to produce. Check out Kyuquot operations Murphy's etc. The Island is more accessible and slightly cheaper (generally) so there are more boats around and feels less like an adventure. Esperanza (Tahsis and Zeballos access or other floating lodges - Port Eliza, Newton Cove, Reel Obsession) is a little more removed than Nootka and has great fishing a that time. Nootka (Nootka Marine, Nootka Island Lodge etc) is busier but has a lot of calm water to fish on the inside. Barkley Sound is busier than Nootka, has calm water to find and fish every day, and has been really good in recent years (Eaglenook would be your top outfit here). Tofino/Ukee are great, but not a ton of experience there to share, but a little "night life" to take in in town there.

You really can't go wrong on the fishing front. Just need to decide how pampered you want to be. And the price goes up accordingly.

How many days are you looking to book? Guided or take your own boat?
If guided multiday you could look at a day of salmon, day of ground fish and day of Tuna!!

How many days are you looking to book? Guided or take your own boat?
If guided multiday you could look at a day of salmon, day of ground fish and day of Tuna!!
3 - 4 day guided, out of a boat currently that might change but even then id like to just show up and fish to be honest this one time lol

It really depends on what you want for the experience and what "decent" fish means to you.

Those dates are primetime everywhere on the coast - you may always run into a dreaded cold streak, but that can happen anywhere and really shouldn't be accounted for. Do you want to go somewhere with few boats and feel like you're removed from it all? Or does that not matter to you? Costs more to get more remote.

Decent = big - go to Haida Gwaii or the Central Coast. If you're thinking Duncanby is within the budget, then you're not really limited. Langara has unguided options, so does Duncanby, which helps keep the cost down. Joe's is less expensive than most and also unguided. These areas will generally have fewer boats a feel like more of an adventure. But the cost represents that... Haida Gwaii sees more populations of fish and is likely more consistent than the central coast. But there are chances at big fish in both locations. Some good operations in Masset that'll get you on good fish.

Decent = many - go anywhere at that time! Haida Gwaii, CC, north and west coasts of the island are all going to produce. Check out Kyuquot operations Murphy's etc. The Island is more accessible and slightly cheaper (generally) so there are more boats around and feels less like an adventure. Esperanza (Tahsis and Zeballos access or other floating lodges - Port Eliza, Newton Cove, Reel Obsession) is a little more removed than Nootka and has great fishing a that time. Nootka (Nootka Marine, Nootka Island Lodge etc) is busier but has a lot of calm water to fish on the inside. Barkley Sound is busier than Nootka, has calm water to find and fish every day, and has been really good in recent years (Eaglenook would be your top outfit here). Tofino/Ukee are great, but not a ton of experience there to share, but a little "night life" to take in in town there.

You really can't go wrong on the fishing front. Just need to decide how pampered you want to be. And the price goes up accordingly.
well price is a bit of a thing for me as I don't have HUGE funds just kicking around to do this unfortunately trying to stay under 3500 each guy ideal would be 2800 or so and Port eliza seems to be the best priced so far Im also thinking trying Gibran at reel obsession

well price is a bit of a thing for me as I don't have HUGE funds just kicking around to do this unfortunately trying to stay under 3500 each guy ideal would be 2800 or so and Port eliza seems to be the best priced so far Im also thinking trying Gibran at reel obsession
We've done Port Eliza twice, but had our own boat. Your timing is excellent for there. Basic rooms, good food, but far from fine dining. Perfect for us. They have some experienced guides that did well while we were there. They will run to Zebalos to pick up and drop off.
Well, it looked like some people booked with the lodge and were given a guide and others booked with the guide they wanted, and he might have arranged the rooms. I think some are employees and some are independent.
Tahsis is a long way from the offshore grounds, but a nice boat ride.

So next year ill be turning the big 4 0 on Aug 6th 2025, and was wondering what guys have for recommendations of lodges that aren't CRAZY priced but still get you into decent fish. I'm planning a year in advance so hopefully some of the prime times in late july and early Hawgust are available. Prices seem to be all over the board ill be having a party of 4 of us.

Ive looked into so far

Eagle Nook
Duncanby Lodge
Rugged Point Lodge
Nootka

cheers

Nick
Hi Nick
I have some great price options for prime time Barkley Sound in August. Based on 4 guys in 26 Grady, 3 full days fishing and 3 nights stay.
PM me if you are interested.
J

Ive looked into so far

Eagle Nook
Duncanby Lodge
Rugged Point Lodge
Nootka

cheers

Nick
I would recommend Joe's Salmon Lodge in Hakai Pass, Decent pricing as far as lodges go and not too fancy with buffet style meals. Most of the salmon fishing is cut plug herring with weighted rods which happens to be my favorite next to skipping bucktails in the prop wash. There's decent bottom fishing if you ask Mike the head guide and Coho fishing can be outstanding.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...ll_River_Sunshine_Coast_British_Columbia.html.

This is a friend of mine Paul he does salmon fishing charters as well as helli fishing charters, you could do both. He’ll have a waterfront lodge in time for your Birthday. You can check out the helli fishing on his u tube channel. His # 6044144493. https://www.guidedby.ca/businesses/hunt-fish-maniac-fishing-charters
I know that whatever Paul charges for the Helli fishing, it’s a lot less than any of the other lodge’s. It’s based on time and distanced, I’m pretty sure he only charges for actual blades turning on the chopper. We’ve gone as far as the head of the Seymour. Fish Rivers like big Toba little Toba, Stafford, the apple, kingcome, Southgate some others that I can’t remember. Some of the best fishing I’ve ever done in my life though, and amazing beautiful country. We get some huge springs in Powell. I caught the fish in my profile pic right out front. I know he’d go up Bute or Toba if you wanted, although probably not necessary. I’m probably a little bias due to the fact that I live in Powell and Paul is a good friend, but I think you’d be pleasantly surprised with the pricing and the Helli fishing is Bucket list *hit. I’m sure you’ll limit out and go home with coolers full. It’s a 20 minute flight with Coastal air out of south Terminal.
Good luck where ever you decide to go. I hope you have an unforgettable 40th, and Slay ‘em!

Last edited:
Back