Yellow and Solar buoys new T-10

Morty

Slightly north-west of T-10 there is a yellow, and a solar buoy. Can someone tell me what those are? And if there's an exclusion zone around them?

Yellow Buoys are "Cautionary Buoys they are used to warn mariners of dangers such as firing ranges, race courses, seaplane bases, traffic separations, underwater structures and areas where no safe through channel exists. Yellow in colour they carry an identification mark, or letter. If they have a topmark, it is a single yellow "X" shape. If lighted, the light a yellow flashing (Fl) four seconds light."

Yellow Buoys are "Cautionary Buoys they are used to warn mariners of dangers such as firing ranges, race courses, seaplane bases, traffic separations, underwater structures and areas where no safe through channel exists. Yellow in colour they carry an identification mark, or letter. If they have a topmark, it is a single yellow "X" shape. If lighted, the light a yellow flashing (Fl) four seconds light."

With due respect, Thanks Casper.
I kinda already knew that from getting my boat operator card. However, it really didn't answer my two questions. Maybe, to be more succinct:
- What is that specific yellow buoy there for? It wasn't there last year. (my best guess is that the solar one is a rechargeable power supply for whatever is related to the yellow buoy.)
- is there a recommended distance we should stay away from that particular buoy

How about this then. I think I heard that Ocean Science had a bouy out there somewhere.
Ocean Data Acquisition System (ODAS) Buoy
  1. An ODAS buoy marks a scientific, meteorological or oceanographic station.
  2. An ODAS buoy shall not exhibit a shape that conflicts with any navigational mark.
  3. An ODAS buoy is coloured yellow, displays identification letter(s) and
    1. if it carries a light, the light is yellow and is a group flashing light of 5 flashes every 20 seconds, Fl(5)20s, and
    2. if it carries a topmark, the topmark is a single yellow “X” shape.

With due respect, Thanks Casper.
I kinda already knew that from getting my boat operator card. However, it really didn't answer my two questions. Maybe, to be more succinct:
- What is that specific yellow buoy there for? It wasn't there last year. (my best guess is that the solar one is a rechargeable power supply for whatever is related to the yellow buoy.)
- is there a recommended distance we should stay away from that particular buoy

No. they don't set them up like that. The CCG buoys have Carmanah most likely 800/700 series and it is self contained solar. Usually if there is solar subsystem the panel is next to it.

from memory, the yellow one is simple yellow sphere 24"-30". It is at aprox 300' depth nearly due west of the white marker (as per picture) The solar unit is like SpringVelocity's picture

I thought they set it up for the sail boats as the day i noticed it there was a sailboat thing going on. However it's still out their so now dont no what its for

last time I was out there the solar powered unit was gone and a crew was just picking up the yellow Buoy. There was nothing attached to it so Wildmanyeah may have been correct about the sail race marker

Back