Yamaha 150 or Mercury 150

I am a research kind of guy. Last year I researched this exact question.

Ceteris paribus, displacement equals torque. To a boater, torque is more important than HP. Merc is 3L vs 2.7 for Yami
The Yamaha has the balancing shafts spinning at 2X motor RPM and they wear out (which is why I researched this comparison - mine went). Merc doesn't have this issue.
Merc is typically cheaper.
Merc is ~ 50lbs less.
Merc is SOHC vs DOHC Yami (simpler)

I will be selling my 150 Yami when it gets back from the shop, if anyone is interested ;-)

A 30 year merc pusher told me this when I asked. Mind you this was during the supply chain issues
99 % of merc parts are 3 days away I know a few Suzuki guys that were waiting months for stuff…..
also
Yam is 6 year warranty
Merc is 5 years
But only till the end of March
I just got a yam T25 as a new kicker
Good luck

I have run both in twin configuration. I am currently running twin 2022 Merc SeaPro 150's. They sound a bit more manly/growly than my older Yamis and maybe even a bit louder. But they are super easy to service and have a ton of torque, although the Seapros being the commercial version have a bit lower gearing than the regular Mercs so you run a bit bigger prop and cruise at lower rpm's. Six of one, half dozen of the other, I don't think you can go wrong with either really. I agree that the dealer and service would probably be the deal breaker for me.

Corrosion is still a real thing in the yamaha product line. It is certainly not hearsay, the Japanese outboards all suffer from it to some extent.

Back