Yamaha 150 or Mercury 150

This is a Ford or Chevy. Braid or wire type of question. You are going to get all kinds of opinions about this. I would go with whichever dealer has the best service.

I’ve seen several First Nations water taxis with twin 150 Mercs at the dealer with their hour meters in the 4-5000 range. We didn’t have a Yamaha dealer so I can’t attest to their reliability but I agree with everyone else that suggests focusing on getting premium dealer support

If I was getting a 150, I’d choose Yamaha. The Yam 150 is a tried and true bulletproof motor. Having said that, last year when I repowered to a 250 I chose Mercury. 🤷‍♂️
They’re both great and if you’re buying new I don’t think it matters. The dealer with a better rep for service in your area, as others have said.

i have a 300 yammmi, but would prefer the merc from past experience. although today they are all very well made.

So they're that comparable are they? I would trust a Consumer Reports type of product evaluation; I'm curious if something has been done for Y or M.
I don't think the op cares what those that actually own the motors thinks unfortunately. First time poster and he wasn't looking for any of our advice. He just wanted a link to a consumer report type post (most likely to be bias anyway).

Good luck on finding an unbiased report. The most I have ever found is cautious ones that say they are both good overall and have just slight differences in pros & cons.

Consumer Reports is a unique, unbiased outfit but they don't test outboards.

I agree with others on here, go with the best warranty coverage and dealer service you can find.

Mercury has a better Alloy for their blocks that is much more resistant to corrosion. I have yet to see a 150 merc with corrosion issues and the same cannot be said for Yamaha.

and some say that Yamaha's are cheaper to maintain overall, quieter and more fuel efficient than Mercury.

So really unless there is a credible, reliable unbiased thorough testing it is just one person's experience against another - i.e. Fords are better than Chevy's. etc...

and some say that Yamaha's are cheaper to maintain overall, quieter and more fuel efficient than Mercury.

So really unless there is a credible, reliable unbiased thorough testing it is just one person's experience against another - i.e. Fords are better than Chevy's. etc...
I think the quieter claim has been put the rest, the new generation Mercury is a much quieter outboard now then the Yamaha.

Back