WTB something slightly lighter than a commander 30 and with outboards.

No I say I've got it pretty good. She loves the Commander just hates asking "how much?" The fact that she's willing to drop this kind of cash on a boat is a huge win.
Those commander are sweet, just the twin I/o to maintain and keep in shape and running good is like a second mortgage, I was a fan of I/o for a long time, all my previous boats had them,all single but still was a pain to keep them running, always something crapping out,I will never go back to I/o

No I say I've got it pretty good. She loves the Commander just hates asking "how much?" The fact that she's willing to drop this kind of cash on a boat is a huge win.

Those commander are sweet, just the twin I/o to maintain and keep in shape and running good is like a second mortgage, I was a fan of I/o for a long time, all my previous boats had them,all single but still was a pain to keep them running, always something crapping out,I will never go back to I/o
Hi,
I was looking at commander 30's.
They all seem to come with twin diesel i/o's , without high jacking this thread can you tell me quickly why all you guys seem to dislike them. I own a 19 foot bowrider with a mecruiser and have owned smaller runabouts with outboards also.
I thought diesel engines would be economical and relatively trouble free.
Why do all the newer boats around the sizes you fellas are discussing now seem be 200ish HP outboards and not the diesel i/o's ?

Hi,
I was looking at commander 30's.
They all seem to come with twin diesel i/o's , without high jacking this thread can you tell me quickly why all you guys seem to dislike them. I own a 19 foot bowrider with a mecruiser and have owned smaller runabouts with outboards also.
I thought diesel engines would be economical and relatively trouble free.
Why do all the newer boats around the sizes you fellas are discussing now seem be 200ish HP outboards and not the diesel i/o's ?
They're amazingly economical. I spend less in fuel now then I did in my 24 foot bayliner that weighed less than half of the commander. Like has been mentioned before though the drives just require a lot of upkeep. If you're mechanically inclined, which I'm not, then it's not so bad because you can do a lot yourself. My troubles with them came from an apparent log strike which caused two rounds of insurance claims. Maybe that's why I'm so frustrated now. Had that not happened then perhaps I'd be singing another tune.

They're amazingly economical. I spend less in fuel now then I did in my 24 foot bayliner that weighed less than half of the commander. Like has been mentioned before though the drives just require a lot of upkeep. If you're mechanically inclined, which I'm not, then it's not so bad because you can do a lot yourself. My troubles with them came from an apparent log strike which caused two rounds of insurance claims. Maybe that's why I'm so frustrated now. Had that not happened then perhaps I'd be singing another tune.
Maintenance on those alone is $, I mean fresh twin turbo diesel with drives would keep you trouble free for a while, but lots of $ to buy and install then upkeep. It mean that condo slash fishing boat you own is a beast to push around no matter what is pushing it

Hey buddy,

A friend of mine is redoing a Commander 26, he placed a new pod and installed twin 300's, I know its not a 30'er but if all the Commanders have the same quality you will be hard pressed to find a hand-laid boat in its class, correct me if I am wrong? At least you know what you have and have left to do to bring it to 100%, who's to say that getting a "new-to-you" boat will not present a whole new set of complications, perhaps greater than the ones you have now especially in this market, I am sure that lots of "lipstick" is being used at this unpresedentted time of sight/unseen purchases!

Covid is really creating an unpredictable crazed buying frenzy that could even get worst before, if at all, gets better. Believe you-me, I know its very had to restrain oneself, "we want what we want, when we want it", but if you can get through a season or two, as your mentioned, you may be further ahead and come out the other side saying, I think I like this boat now, I am glad I toughed it out :)

Also, as someone mentioned, if you can't possibly see yourself ever satisfied with this boat and content with it being what it is, then, i am sure, it will bother you to no-end as it has and well, you will know when its time to move on and unload it for something else either today or tomorrow, it will have to be dealt with in one way or another. :(

Only you know your struggles and how much they affect YOU, we are all looking on the outside in and not fully aware of how troublesome the court proceedings and dealing with constant unsatisfactory workmanship issues were/are... All the best with whatever you decide!

Last edited:
Hey buddy,

A friend of mine is redoing a Commander 26, he placed a new pod and installed twin 300's, I know its not a 30'er but if all the Commanders have the same quality you will be hard pressed to find a hand-laid boat in its class, correct me if I am wrong? At least you know what you have and have left to do to bring it to 100%, who's to say that getting a "new-to-you" boat will not present a whole new set of complications, perhaps greater than the ones you have now especially in this market, I am sure that lots of "lipstick" is being used at this unpresedentted time of sight/unseen purchases!

Covid is really creating an unpredictable crazed buying frenzy that could even get worst before, if at all, gets better. Believe you-me, I know its very had to restrain oneself, "we want what we want, when we want it", but if you can get through a season or two, as your mentioned, you may be further ahead and come out the other side saying, I think I like this boat now, I am glad I toughed it out :)

Also, as someone mentioned, if you can't possibly see yourself ever satisfied with this boat and content with it being what it is, then, i am sure, it will bother you to no-end as it has and well, you know its time to move on and unload it for something else either today or tomorrow it will have to be dealt with in one way or another. :(

Only you know your struggles and how much they affect YOU, we are all looking on the outside in and not fully aware of how troublesome the court proceedings and dealing with constant unsatisfactory workmanship issues were/are... All the best with whatever you decide!
Thanks brother.

I was lead to believe that an out drive offers the same kick back protection from a lig strike that an outboard does? What is the difference if you hit a log with an outboard versus an outdrive? This is a big concern of mine as well. Thanks

I was lead to believe that an out drive offers the same kick back protection from a lig strike that an outboard does? What is the difference if you hit a log with an outboard versus an outdrive? This is a big concern of mine as well. Thanks
There is no protection with drives. The only plus side to the ones I have I'm told is that it actually just breaks away with no gaping hole left behind. Hardly puts the mind at ease.

There is no protection with drives. The only plus side to the ones I have I'm told is that it actually just breaks away with no gaping hole left behind. Hardly puts the mind at ease.
You might want to take a closer look at podding if you really like the boat. Your Volvo engines and drives are still worth a lot. I think you can sell a working drive for $10k? with engine maybe $15k each? So now you have $30K to go towards a podding project. I would look for a company that is willing to work with you to create a pod design so they can sell more. Their are lots of older Commanders that would make good candidates and would be very interested if their was a known working solution. I was thinking Bracewell Marine which has already rebuilt an 80's Commander 30 and so would know the boat very well. I think a pod design needs to be properly engineered with CG and such otherwise it may not work well. You know the boat is extremely well built and really don't think there is anything out there like it. You may get outboards but you will be giving up a whole bunch more.
It also might help to just stop hitting logs... :)

You might want to take a closer look at podding if you really like the boat. Your Volvo engines and drives are still worth a lot. I think you can sell a working drive for $10k? with engine maybe $15k each? So now you have $30K to go towards a podding project. I would look for a company that is willing to work with you to create a pod design so they can sell more. Their are lots of older Commanders that would make good candidates and would be very interested if their was a known working solution. I was thinking Bracewell Marine which has already rebuilt an 80's Commander 30 and so would know the boat very well. I think a pod design needs to be properly engineered with CG and such otherwise it may not work well. You know the boat is extremely well built and really don't think there is anything out there like it. You may get outboards but you will be giving up a whole bunch more.
It also might help to just stop hitting logs... :)
Well I can tell you for sure that the brand new port side drive cost $21000 with no markup :oops:

There you go your over half way to a pod!
If I felt reasonably comfortable that a shop could deal with the entire project including the sale of the existing motors and drives I'd totally consider it. Just sounds like there's so many horror stories with these conversions. I'd love to get a few more names of guys that would be willing to take it on. Twin 350 duoprops please ;)

Sheesh..... has this been all insurance claims or out of pocket ?
That was just part of the total $40 000 in insurance over the two shop visits. I was still out of pocket for more though because I had a case of the "you might as wells"

Totally get it.... just wondering how much your insurance premium will go up now ? If I was in your shoes I would seriously look into podding in the off season..... either way imo you will never find the perfect boat out of the box. You already have everything you want except the power. If it’s a forever kinda boat do the conversion or seriously consider it, but if it’s a 5 year boat don’t bother. Money comes and goes, so do wife’s LOL

Totally get it.... just wondering how much your insurance premium will go up now ? If I was in your shoes I would seriously look into podding in the off season..... either way imo you will never find the perfect boat out of the box. You already have everything you want except the power. If it’s a forever kinda boat do the conversion or seriously consider it, but if it’s a 5 year boat don’t bother. Money comes and goes, so do wife’s LOL
That's the hard part is I love the boat and the only reason I'd consider this is because I'm tired of the costs associated. But with any boat there are costs obviously so when I factor in the increased fuel burn and inevitable costs with ANY boat the additional $70k? Is like 5-8 years of running this boat as is. Assuming I don't hit logs.

My premium didn't go up becuase, thank f***, they re-opened the old claim. I'm still paying $2600 a year though which isn't cheap I realize.

The cost to pod will pay for a lot of repairs to the diesels and outdrives. Not to mention your fuel costs are going to increase every time you take it out. I think you would be lucky to get 1 mpg with outboards - assuming twin 300's / 350's. A boat this heavy would benefit from more hp, twin Yamaha 425's or triple 300's for better fuel economy and performance. And you'll still be susceptible to damage from log strikes.

I can't make the math work where this would be cheaper over the short to medium term and the more you use your boat, the worse the math is.

Back