WTB something slightly lighter than a commander 30 and with outboards.

This is really the true answer. You're going to get an occasional year where you get a large maintenance bill, then you'll be fine for a few years, then you'll get a big bill again. Just average it out over time.

A couple ways to make it feel better - they say the annual expenditure of your boat will be 10% of the brand-new-boat purchase price. Not the used boat price. Assume your boat was $250,000 new so budget $25,000 per year. This should cover insurance, slip, maintenance, fuel for a 100 hour per season normal user. If you're paying less than 10% of new boat purchase price you're winning.

Another way to make it more bearable is look at it this way;

Assume 100 hours cruising diesel fuel consumption at 12 US GPH for diesel. That's 45L/hr, or 4500L per season. Diesel is $1.50 per L for $6750 per season.

Assume 100 hours cruising gasoline fuel consumption at 24 US GPH for gasoline. That's 90L/hr or 9000L per season. Mid grade marine gasoline is $1.75 per L for $15,750.00 per season.

With the diesel engines you are saving $9000.00 in fuel per 100 hour cruising season.

Now take a look at a repower project - assume your repower is $100,000 net after selling your existing drives and motors. Assume you can make 10% with that money in a simple investment like an index fund or ETF that you don't need to manage. That $100,000 that you put into your motors is a $10,000 per year opportunity cost.

By sticking with existing motors and drives you are saving $19000.00 per 100 hour year, and you don't have a $100,000 capital expenditure that you have to pay back.

Keep existing, do some more preventative maintenance. Save $19,000.00 per year less the occasional increased maintenance. Keep the amazing range the diesel engines give you, the hot water you get, etc and when it comes time to sell the boat you won't be priced to recover the $100,000 you spent on the repower.
Keep your logic out of this! Spending money people don’t have, to get something we all think is better, but likely isn’t, is the capitalist way. Keep you Warren Buffett like math to yourself.

Unless you are buying corporations just the tax alone on the podding/buying another boat is a good maintenance bill.

Plus there really isn’t anything better out there…coming from a guy with outboards who thinks he pays too much for maintenance and upgrades whose wife feels cramped on 51 feet of moving waterfront. Life is good, prawning season and winter spring season starts now! See you at Poets Cove soon? The pools heated!

This is the best advice of the thread.
I was frustrated with my I/O volvo duoprop for a few years.
Then got it into the local volvo shop, a couple of years of maintenance with some extra replacements was a bit painful.
I have now had five years of just regular maintenance and I have faith in the big green vulva.

The boys are right, you could use a little churching up. Slide on down to the ol'Commander and catch up with your volvos. Listen to what they got to say.
Here's your soundtrack:

Whatever you decide to do, RC, my advice is to not let the pursuit of the perfect boat detract from your enjoyment of the time you have on the water with your current one. Don’t begin to begrudge the boat you have because you think there’s a better one out there for you. Our opportunities are more and more limited every year, kids grow up fast and wives may lose interest in boating. Don’t wish away your time with this boat, thinking another one is just around the corner. Time is a thief. Live in the moment.

Hard lessons learned from a guy who cruises to the fishing grounds at walking speed.

Whatever you decide to do, RC, my advice is to not let the pursuit of the perfect boat detract from your enjoyment of the time you have on the water with your current one. Don’t begin to begrudge the boat you have because you think there’s a better one out there for you. Our opportunities are more and more limited every year, kids grow up fast and wives may lose interest in boating. Don’t wish away your time with this boat, thinking another one is just around the corner. Time is a thief. Live in the moment.

Hard lessons learned from a guy who cruises to the fishing grounds at walking speed.
Sage advice. When she's running well I don't give it a second thought. It's only that lasting pain of the 20k bill at the yard that makes me think about alternatives. I still love the boat and feel very lucky to have her. My next big step will be the tuna grounds so maybe that's why the added stress these days. West Coast and beyond is next level but that's inevitably where I want to be able to go, without doubts.

This is really the true answer. You're going to get an occasional year where you get a large maintenance bill, then you'll be fine for a few years, then you'll get a big bill again. Just average it out over time.

A couple ways to make it feel better - they say the annual expenditure of your boat will be 10% of the brand-new-boat purchase price. Not the used boat price. Assume your boat was $250,000 new so budget $25,000 per year. This should cover insurance, slip, maintenance, fuel for a 100 hour per season normal user. If you're paying less than 10% of new boat purchase price you're winning.

Another way to make it more bearable is look at it this way;

Assume 100 hours cruising diesel fuel consumption at 12 US GPH for diesel. That's 45L/hr, or 4500L per season. Diesel is $1.50 per L for $6750 per season.

Assume 100 hours cruising gasoline fuel consumption at 24 US GPH for gasoline. That's 90L/hr or 9000L per season. Mid grade marine gasoline is $1.75 per L for $15,750.00 per season.

With the diesel engines you are saving $9000.00 in fuel per 100 hour cruising season.

Now take a look at a repower project - assume your repower is $100,000 net after selling your existing drives and motors. Assume you can make 10% with that money in a simple investment like an index fund or ETF that you don't need to manage. That $100,000 that you put into your motors is a $10,000 per year opportunity cost.

By sticking with existing motors and drives you are saving $19000.00 per 100 hour year, and you don't have a $100,000 capital expenditure that you have to pay back.

Keep existing, do some more preventative maintenance. Save $19,000.00 per year less the occasional increased maintenance. Keep the amazing range the diesel engines give you, the hot water you get, etc and when it comes time to sell the boat you won't be priced to recover the $100,000 you spent on the repower.
Really good advice here BCI. You sound like a financial advisor! :)
However if you look at the fuel burn for the 32 Sea Sport a few pages back it is burning about 35 US gallons at the 30 mph Cruise RC wants. So about 30 Imperial gallons. That means 136L/hr or 13,600L per season. $23,800 so saving $17,050 per season
Your actually making money sticking with the Diesels. :)
Not to mention your boat is probably not depreciating at all but new motors will. So a $100k boat and add $100k in pod and motors is probably worth $150k in 5 years so another $10K per year loss.
Personally I think you are stuck with the beautiful boat you have. Really nothing like it for fishing and cruising. Shame they don't make them anymore.

Who let the smrt fellas chime in and ruin rc's fun? Back to the quest for the perfect 345 pursuit Stat.

Damn Rights! Yolo, just play with the banks money. They got lots of it! While your at it set it up as a business and charge your friends "$50" for a scenic cruises from Vancouver then it can all be write offs and take yearly losses for tax purposes.

Who let the smrt fellas chime in and ruin rc's fun? Back to the quest for the perfect 345 pursuit Stat.

Long time Tiara / Pursuit fan here... I had this 2016 345OS for a couple seasons... sexy beast but not a good west coast boat if you can believe it. Not enough prop in the water.... with full fuel and full water the props would blow out climbing the swell headed out from Ukee in the morning. 20mph+ no problem but 15-16mph when the waves are so big you fall into a 10 foot hole if you're going over 15... those are the days I hated that boat... She sure was sexy though to look at.

They said the 385 w/ trips holds plane up the swell with the extra prop in the water.

@Rain City - you just saved $250k USD!

Also this....

IMG_1801.JPG

That's some kinda fuel burn there BC1 Wowza!!!
That's for sure. It still haunts me at times...

I still think you should just pod your commander. You have the right layout and it's already set up for you, you just need outboards. I think if you are willing to spend an extra 100k on a new boat, then I think just pod your commander for that 100k. Think about it like this, if there was a podded commander for sale right now for 100k more than your boat, would you want it? If the answer is yes then I think you should just go for it. A podded commander 30 is the unicorn that you are looking for.
I remember saying the same thing, it’s a no brainer in my mind, but it’s not my money so wth do I know lol

Long time Tiara / Pursuit fan here... I had this 2016 345OS for a couple seasons... sexy beast but not a good west coast boat if you can believe it. Not enough prop in the water.... with full fuel and full water the props would blow out climbing the swell headed out from Ukee in the morning. 20mph+ no problem but 15-16mph when the waves are so big you fall into a 10 foot hole if you're going over 15... those are the days I hated that boat... She sure was sexy though to look at.

They said the 385 w/ trips holds plane up the swell with the extra prop in the water.

@Rain City - you just saved $250k USD!

Also this....

View attachment 71670
Wow the fuel burn in 1 hour is half my tank lol

This one is better...
Could have used that bed on the bow back in my drinking days, hungover waiting for the bow rod to go off for halibut on my bow isn’t comfy. Not sure the 100lber we tried to bring in over the bow would have busted that one piece windshield or not but it was gentle when she came in over the stern, after walking her down the side.

Sick boat but not sure how those bifold doors will do offshore. Nice gulf island and inside boats, be interesting to see how they and the benettos hold up for tuna runs!

Back