WTB $300 000 Boat for $100 000. Serious offers only please.

No I think I was thinking outboards as apposed to a single gas IO. If I'm into a 30 and dealing with diesels I think I'm fine with that. Was a cost thing too, obviously I could get into a newer, bigger boat with outboards. If I'm looking at an older boat and can save some cash I'm ok with the diesels for sure. That was the funny thing I found when looking at that 2006 26 commander. It still looks like an 80s boat. Aluminum windows and hand made teak everything. The gauges and switches are an almost retro feel for a newish boat. So **** it if they're that well built and there's no difference in fit and finish why not but a 30 year old one.

I think if you end up with a Cutwater, you may be cursing yourself in similar issues to your Bayliner. If you end up with a Commander you have a tired and true PacNW boat. If you recalibrate your thinking from '80s style' to 'timeless style, classic style' you'll see a nicer boat when you walk in the salon.

And you can be sure the Commander 30 has already had it's depreciation hit. You're not going to lose money owning it from a depreciation standpoint.

I would not be worried about gas vs diesel in that boat. Your diesel service costs will offset the fuel savings unless you cruise 200 hours plus per season.

No I was thinking some black stain and make it look like a Donnelly pub on Granville. Maybe then my wife and her friends would feel more at home lol.
The wood is what gives it character and warmth. It’s the green carpet I didn’t like. I changed my carpet and updated the upholstery. Completely different boat. The 26 is a boat and the 30 is a yacht. It has and does everything you need. I have looked at a lot of boats and for my needs there is nothing comes close. Very well built. Well thought out layout and they hold their value extremely well. They did not change the layout or build for over 25 years. Says something. Sexy will cost you more, loose you more, and not be as practical. You say you are boat people and in my opinion the Commander fits your needs.
There is a great owners group and annual rendezvous too.
I own a 30 in North Van. I think I am in town next Weekend. If you want to see mine I could maybe arrange to show it to you. ( it’s not for sale)

No I think I was thinking outboards as apposed to a single gas IO. If I'm into a 30 and dealing with diesels I think I'm fine with that. Was a cost thing too, obviously I could get into a newer, bigger boat with outboards. If I'm looking at an older boat and can save some cash I'm ok with the diesels for sure. That was the funny thing I found when looking at that 2006 26 commander. It still looks like an 80s boat. Aluminum windows and hand made teak everything. The gauges and switches are an almost retro feel for a newish boat. So **** it if they're that well built and there's no difference in fit and finish why not but a 30 year old one.
Those aluminum windows are Diamond Sea Glaze. Same brand used on high end ocean going boats like Nordhavn. The gauges are a bit retro looking but easily purchased and replaced if you need a new one.

The wood is what gives it character and warmth. It’s the green carpet I didn’t like. I changed my carpet and updated the upholstery. Completely different boat. The 26 is a boat and the 30 is a yacht. It has and does everything you need. I have looked at a lot of boats and for my needs there is nothing comes close. Very well built. Well thought out layout and they hold their value extremely well. They did not change the layout or build for over 25 years. Says something. Sexy will cost you more, loose you more, and not be as practical. You say you are boat people and in my opinion the Commander fits your needs.
There is a great owners group and annual rendezvous too.
I own a 30 in North Van. I think I am in town next Weekend. If you want to see mine I could maybe arrange to show it to you. ( it’s not for sale)
That'd be great! I asked the broker to see the one for sale but if that turns into a hassle I'll take you up on your offer for sure. The Commander community sounds like a lot of fun.

That'd be great! I asked the broker to see the one for sale but if that turns into a hassle I'll take you up on your offer for sure. The Commander community sounds like a lot of fun.
And I think what I'm starting to realize, and will be a great selling feature to the wife, is that the 30 really does seem more like a yacht. We looked at some 38-45s and thought theyd be too big to use a daily boats and switched gears back to smaller boats. We both loved the idea of a couch with lamps though so this is another crossover that I hadn't even thought of.

Morely is a great guy. He knows me and my boat very well. I still talk to him regularly and can ask him anything about the boat. If he doesn’t know he finds out. He was involved with the Commander factory for many years and most Commanders sell through him.
I have modernized mine a bit with the new interior so will give you a bit of perspective.
I also know every inch of it now. :)

And I think what I'm starting to realize, and will be a great selling feature to the wife, is that the 30 really does seem more like a yacht. We looked at some 38-45s and thought theyd be too big to use a daily boats and switched gears back to smaller boats. We both loved the idea of a couch with lamps though so this is another crossover that I hadn't even thought of.
One of the reasons I bought my boat is because I talked to a pilot at the Vancouver boat show 3 years ago. He is from Campbell River. Him and his wife owned a 30 for many years and thought they would like to get a bigger boat. They sold the Commander and bought a 42 Grand Banks. It was slow, hard to fish from, and maintenance was way more. They decided they had really like the Commander and started looking for one. They found their old bought for sale and bought it back. Did what I did and just spent some money on update and upgrades. He says I can fish, cruise, go fast and it’s much more affordable. If you go to the rendezvous you will here many stories like that.

Morely is a great guy. He knows me and my boat very well. I still talk to him regularly and can ask him anything about the boat. If he doesn’t know he finds out. He was involved with the Commander factory for many years and most Commanders sell through him.
I have modernized mine a bit with the new interior so will give you a bit of perspective.
I also know every inch of it now. :)
I did meet Morely to look at the 26. Seems like a great guy. I've reached out to him to find out what else he has. Thanks again.

That's the same reason I got a late 80s commander and I'm doing newer power and electronics. It surveyed perfectly, was cheap and looks almost identical to one built in the 2000s. Just have to embrace the retro man haha.

You podding a 26?

I did meet Morely to look at the 26. Seems like a great guy. I've reached out to him to find out what else he has. Thanks again.

That 30 is Morley's listing as well. I have spent lots of time on a 30 commander it's like fishing from your living room. Amazing the amount of room. It's no problem taking 4 guys all the gear for a trip no issues everyone is very comfortable. The best part is they cruise 21knots and burn nothing. Go look in person!

Would you use the flybridge? Is that he correct term? It makes it look Really tall plus you can’t get to a fish fast enough from up there
@Flyguy made his boat look 372 x better by removing his. (Plus he did a whole lot more)

I think the Cutwaters and ranger tugs are nice looking myself but I've heard the quality of them isn't the best. This is coming from someone who works at a huge dealer and has sold probably in the hundreds of them. They are really fancy looking but because of how popular they have become the factory has had a hard time keeping up and the quality hasn't been the best. I'm not trying to crush your dreams or anything , Just what I've heard.
This ^^^ same here

Would you use the flybridge? Is that he correct term? It makes it look Really tall plus you can’t get to a fish fast enough from up there
@Flyguy made his boat look 372 x better by removing his. (Plus he did a whole lot more)
No idea. I'm sure I'd love driving from up there on a nice hot day.

Back