WTB $300 000 Boat for $100 000. Serious offers only please.

I ran a Grady 330 Express for a few seasons and an Albemarle 315 XF. Both boats, like the Grady 305 Express, have a center helm. For salmon fishing a center helm is a royal pain. It's too much of a pinch point for people coming and going past the captain, and it's tough for the captain to rotate head left to check left rod, then right to check right rod. Each time you spin your head you have to re-establish your focus for depth of field.

I did also run a Grady 306 Center Console for a couple years and the hull is fantastic. Same hull as the 300 Marlin and the 305 Express.

Too bad about the center helm...

I ran a Grady 330 Express for a few seasons and an Albemarle 315 XF. Both boats, like the Grady 305 Express, have a center helm. For salmon fishing a center helm is a royal pain. It's too much of a pinch point for people coming and going past the captain, and it's tough for the captain to rotate head left to check left rod, then right to check right rod. Each time you spin your head you have to re-establish your focus for depth of field.

I did also run a Grady 306 Center Console for a couple years and the hull is fantastic. Same hull as the 300 Marlin and the 305 Express.

Too bad about the center helm...

All about the compromise on the water for sure, when I'm solo on mine I literally sit backwards and face the rods fishing way away from everyone else. If that Albermarle was sold locally I'm faiirly sure I know who is running it now and it's pretty damn fishy!

All about the compromise on the water for sure, when I'm solo on mine I literally sit backwards and face the rods fishing way away from everyone else. If that Albermarle was sold locally I'm faiirly sure I know who is running it now and it's pretty damn fishy!

Haha yes that's the one. It is indeed running around locally and being fished.

Also Paul T your slip-neighbour is a buddy of mine (ex Grady 305 Express). You should ask him what he's got being built right now. It's going to be a very special boat.

Last edited:
How do the Marlin 300 and 305 Express compare, other than the helm position? I imagine the Express has a slightly larger cabin?

306 Bimini is the Center Console - super easy to fish, lightest hence fastest and best MPG of the three. Most cold, most wet, nowhere to sleep. Enclosed head under the steering console is nice tho.

300 Marlin is their WalkAround model, similar to the 282 Sailfish but bigger in each dimension. You get a nice 8-10" walkway up each side of the cabin, but you lose in-cabin space because of that. Marlin has conventional seating for captain and co-pilot.

305 Express is the full express model (meaning no walk around passageway - you have to walk along the rail cap to get to the bow ). Heaviest, most enclosed space, best for cruise/fish blend. Center helm you need to get used to as was mentioned by ab1752. If you want to blend fish-a-bility with cruising then the 305 Express is the one for you. The Marlin is more 75% fish 25% cruise as the cabin is tight due to the walk around design.

Last edited:
Haha yes that's the one. It is indeed running around locally and being fished.

Also Paul T your slip-neighbour is a buddy of mine (ex Grady 305 Express). You should ask him what he's got being built right now. It's going to be a very special boat.

The Albermarle went on a nice run offshore for Tuna, our neighbor was part of the crew and the owner is a solid skipper. That's awesome to hear Paul is moving up again, I look forward to seeing what's next. We only really use the slip on the Coast for July / August but I keep it year round to avoid the hassle. We met Paul in a unique manner when he hopped on the deck of our boat at 5 am one morning when I happened to be sleeping in the cuddy as our cabin was full with guests...lol good times.

Reactions: BCI
The Albermarle went on a nice run offshore for Tuna, our neighbor was part of the crew and the owner is a solid skipper. That's awesome to hear Paul is moving up again, I look forward to seeing what's next. We only really use the slip on the Coast for July / August but I keep it year round to avoid the hassle. We met Paul in a unique manner when he hopped on the deck of our boat at 5 am one morning when I happened to be sleeping in the cuddy as our cabin was full with guests...lol good times.
Where is this party going on? It brings up the great point that this type of boating and entertaining can be really fun even while docked. I met a guy as my boat neighbor 4 years ago who is now hands down my closest friend.

Reactions: BCI
So @Rain City , getting this thread back to your original goal - can you remind me, where are you at for 1. budget, 2. command bridge thoughts and 3. galley and living on main floor vs. in the dungeon (ala most express style boats).

Seems we have drifted around a bit since you started this thread...

Up to $150 for the right boat. After fixes and upgrades. Would love to spend far less but just don't see it happening.
No command bridge for sure.
Level living for sure.

Where is this party going on? It brings up the great point that this type of boating and entertaining can be really fun even while docked. I met a guy as my boat neighbor 4 years ago who is now hands down my closest friend.

Get this; they run from the North Shore over to French Creek leaving Vancouver at 6 am and are across the Straits by 7:30 am for haul out. The hauler takes them directly over to Port Alberni and they run out to Bamfield by mid afternoon for fishing. This was in the fall and they went for the Tuna Shootout...which is crazy on its own level, push off at 4 am and run 3 hours straight offshore. My plan next year is to do something similar but with a lower possibility of death or dismemberment around Nootka Sound. The overall plan is to run up to Dent for their derby first week in July and execute the Nootka plan on the second leg. See how it goes, the Dent derby is a done deal though...

Get this; they run from the North Shore over to French Creek leaving Vancouver at 6 am and are across the Straits by 7:30 am for haul out. The hauler takes them directly over to Port Alberni and they run out to Bamfield by mid afternoon for fishing. This was in the fall and they went for the Tuna Shootout...which is crazy on its own level, push off at 4 am and run 3 hours straight offshore. My plan next year is to do something similar but with a lower possibility of death or dismemberment around Nootka Sound. The overall plan is to run up to Dent for their derby first week in July and execute the Nootka plan on the second leg. See how it goes, the Dent derby is a done deal though...
Awesome. Something I'd love to try someday.

So @Rain City , getting this thread back to your original goal - can you remind me, where are you at for 1. budget, 2. command bridge thoughts and 3. galley and living on main floor vs. in the dungeon (ala most express style boats).

Seems we have drifted around a bit since you started this thread...
Yeah it's been hard to follow his mission statement with his wife having totally different ideas than him

We go up there twice a year and the derby is awesome...it is an easy run up and then bash around for 3 days at the lodge then run back slowly. Lots of places to spend the night around Desolation, Savary, Powell River and then down the Coast to Pender Harbor, Secret Cove and Thormanby Island. I highly recommend it!

http://www.dentisland.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2018-Dent-Island-Derby-Poster.pdf
We've done the secret cove and thormanby thing a lot. Ended up in french creek once when my buddies boat died and I had to tow him from lasqueti where we had anchored and ended up on the rocks. It was an eventful trip to say the least. My favorite spot so far has been Hornby.

French creek is my local. Shoot me a message if anyone is cruising around Ill meet up.
Well you must be a stand up dude then. Absolutely everyone we met there was so nice. In a marina full of big aluminums our bayliners were welcomed with open arms. :p We ended up getting my buddies boat towed out and the risers replaced in a couple days during peak season. Got good intel on the fishing spots and made a day trip to Hornby. Great spot.

Up to $150 for the right boat. After fixes and upgrades. Would love to spend far less but just don't see it happening.
No command bridge for sure.
Level living for sure.
I know your wife is against the command bridge and I never wanted one until it came with my Commander 30. Its the cats butt. We spend all our time up there unless cold or pouring and is the place to be at anchor or on the dock. On the down side it doubles your controls and electronics. But then you get backups too I guess.
I know in my case my wife did not want to spend any time on the SeaSport. Too small and it "smelled". She is very happy on the Commander which allows me to have more fun and boat more which is the whole reason we want one!

Back