Winterzing Options ?

Good Point, I saw this as well.
No worries about moorage, my boat is on a trailer in front of my house, all the more reason to find a safer solution...!
There is a good winterizing video on West Marine,s website, simple step
by step instructions including an easy solution to run antifreeze into the engine.

I am going to try it out and post the results

Dont cross the road as well as you may get hit by a car........this is almost as bad as the H1N1 outbrake !!!!!! did you know more people drown from a bathtub then this flu virus but nobody is screaming for a ban on having a bath!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do what you want but those boats blew up from an "ACCIDENT" there was no mention of a electrical mishad simply put as accidental.

Wolf

To get a Kaboom you need 4 things, fuel, oxygen, a confined poorly ventilated space and a source of ignition. All inboard boats have fuel and oxygen and a poorly ventilated space in the bilge..some apparently add ignition! :D

I cross the road frequently, but look for cars before doing so and use a light bulb (in well ventilated open spaces) to light my way after dark!!:D

Just another minor note not yet mentioned is the "new" enviro-fuels with alcohol mixed with the gas.

The stuff is corrosive to engines & fuel systems. Gas stabilizers keep it from going to varnish over the winter, but you need to also add the ethelene (?) alcohol/gas stabilizer to keep the gas from corroding and gelling. Crappie Tire sells it.

Use both in lawnmowers, chainsaws etc... & their gas cans too.

Cheers!

FUEL vapours could mean a lot of things from a leaky propane bottle to a jerry can or even some source of chemical that was leaking who knows???? and the point is they dont know where the ignition came from!!!!!!!
quote:"What actually caused the ignition itself will never be known," said Nanaimo fire captain Doug Bell on Tuesday. "It could be anything."
It was ruled "ACCIDENTAL" not from a specific source. plain and simple I dont even know why you want to continue to argee or debate this???????
Even you have seen a boat at your marina go up and I think the cause was a faulty bilge pump but hey I still have 2 of them on my boat and im sure you have them on yours!!!!!

Wolf

Back to winterizing - outboards this time.
On one American website I read occasionally they are talking about using 'blue' sta-bil, as opposed to the usual red sta-bil.
This is because of the amount of ethanol in the gas down there.
Any concerns here?

Bilge pumps are ignition protected wolf...because they are left in standby mode to pump while the boat is unattended. All other ignition sources should be off by way of the main switch...that is why you have one. You defeat its purpose by your method. How many will have a problem by doing this?...who knows 1 in a 100 maybe...ok if your 1 of the 99.

quote:You defeat its purpose by your method

What is that?? I was asking you about that guys boat a real nice one owned by quigly?? I think and I heard it caught fire and the bilge was the confirmed problem I was just asking.

Also wondering how when a light bulb burns out how its going to spark when its inside of a sealed glass chamber???

Thanks wolf

Ever wonder why the latest trouble lights that mechanics use are all going fluorescent? MMMM....a hot incandescent bulb that gets a drip of cold water or fuel dropping onto it....shatters glass..spark..kaboom. I'm sure bilge pumps that are ignition protected can fail and cause a spark too...you can't foresee that. Not quite the same scenario as knowingly using a less than ideal method of heating the doghouse. A safer method would be a small heater/fan located outside the boat and connected by hose to the doghouse.

This is funny people are still all over putting this light bulb in the bilge to keep the engine from freezing. The one thing that none of you are looking at is that when you need the light bulb to keep the enging from freezing we have these nice witer storms that take out our power. No power no heat from the light bulb engine freezes.

Back