Winter spring fishing on fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by Highliner

Hey Last Chance,

How do you set up the cut plug? What kind of weight should I use to get my bait down there? Banana weight? I've heard of guys using the part of the dowrigger clip that clips on the the cable with a small leader to a 2 pound cannon ball. I guess when the fish gets close enough you can just unclip the weight?

Highliner

You get the Peetze weights that clip on, they are kinda oval shaped, with two hooks and a twirly thing at one end. You can rig the line in the twirly thing so that when you set the hoook, the weight slides down to your lure. HOWEVER, there may be a chance of knocking the fish off the hooks, so you may want to just unclip it when it gets near the boat (very easy to do). For cut plugging, I am far from the best source of information on that (I kinda know how, but haven't had much experience). Here is a detailed explanation, http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/protalk/reid/mooch.phtml, and I am sure some of the old pros around here will chime in.

Come to think of it, a lot of the big springs in the summer are brought in by cut-plugging near shore, and at Nininat Narrows, but it is an art, so better to practice on these aggressive little winter fish.

Highliner ,Lastchance go to salmon university web site look on left side of page go to education and click on cut plug its got pictures and step by step instructions and a little viedeo at the end for the roll. Good place to start anyhow. DAN

If you're cutplugging, I would use the round ball sinkers with the hole through the center. just thread it on your line above the swivel. They tend to run quite a bit deeper than the bananas or peetz due to less resistance in the water. They also slide up your mainline when you have a fish take it so they don't feel the weight until it's tooo late.

Motor mooch by taking your motor in and out of gear. I usually let out enough line equal to about 10 feet from the bottom put the motor in gear and let your line rise to a 45 degree angle to the water and then take it out of gear and let it drop back down to approx. an 80 degree angle and then back up again. Watch your rod tip when out of gear, the weight of the ball will keep a minimal amount of arc in your rod until a fish picks it up and moves upwards through the water column, at that time your rod will go slack, pick the rod up and reel to pick up the slack and then hit 'em once you feel the weight of the fish. Most times though, they'll just hit like you're trolling.

Any body out off Sooke today. Codfish was tobogganing with the kids hopefully I'll get out during the week. Best time to fish no traffic. Those winters should be fattening up nicely with a one week break because of the snow. Time to get out onthe water!
Cheers Codfish[8D]

Gonna give it a go in the afternoon tomorrow. Out of Cheanuh due to the low tide in the afternoon.

Probably try Whirl Bay and around the Islands.

Tips Up on chanel 68 if your out there.

out to Constance bank today 5 on 4 to the boat 2 #8 2 #6 2.5 hours all on purple haze spoon (tomic 5inch ) 125 feet . What beautiful day on the water . hope to go again tomorrow . cheers frayedknot:D

Yo Mama and Totally Tyee,and Luna are the cut plug guru's! Lets have the goods you QCL Guides... Not a science but it does require practice to get the big hog roll. My Ol' man still has em rollin Nitty style tight before i even tie a swivel on. Peetz slip weights are spookers not to mention fun to get outa the way[xx(]

And if you do make sure it is really really brined well as it will blow up guite easily i personally like whole herring or strip!!!!

Hey cod fish did you have some family back east hunting last week????

Wolf

Buddy of mine fished Becher bay yesterday afternoon..
landed a couple around 9-10 lbs amidst numerous 4 lb shakers.
Most of the action was on a "cloverleaf" hootchie.
Glo body, with green patches.
they seemed to prefer this over the glo/green spoons.

Hey Wolf,
What family of mine did you meet? I have lots of family in the Okanagan. How did your trip go? Did you manage to get any trophies. This week I saw the biggest Bull Elk I"ve ever seen just before Campbell River . Hopefully it doesn't get poached. There was some suspicious activity going on . A guy in a sand coloured GMC was on the overpass with something sticking out of his wiondow. Hopefully it was a camera.[8D]

Cheers Codfish

Did you have some family hunting in sask. near shaunavon???? i think it may have been a familly relatives as there isnt too many with your last name out there LOL

Wolf

Ya the good ol' cut plug days. Probally would work wonders on the winter springs if you have the patience to lower the rigger slow enough (not to blow off the bait) to 160 ft for these springs. Probally pick of the biggest of the bunch![:p]

Good day fishing winter's off Clover point today...
9 fish on, 7 to the boat on purple haze and 4"purple tomic spoon.
Started off fishing green/glo , and nothing doing for about an hour.
Changed over to purple and the action started on 6-10 lb fish.
overall, a pretty decent day !
(fish were on the deck )

Nice work craven,
Wish that was me and hourston we were Christmas shopping and watching the Christmas truck parade with our families but it looks like tuesday I'm headed out to constance bank with the father in law to test out his baitbusters and new Suzuki 250's should be fun!!!!
Will post the results.
Cheers Codfish[8D]

Those new Suzuki's are good looking motors!
Once they get a good dealership network, they'll
be gving Yamaha a run for it.

cant beat those suzuki's, run a couple myself and they are great. the biggest problem i have is remembering to shut off the big motor after i have started the kicker. they run so quiet and smooth you cant hear the 150 idling over the 9.9 kicker. have fished all day only to find out that i have left the big boy running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back