Winter Harbour - Where to launch?

The road to Port Alice is paved, few good hills and does twist and turn so you are not going to be fast, but I figure the time to get to Port Alice vs driving to Coal Harbour about the same. At least In Port Alice you can launch tie the boat up and park the boat by yourself if necessary,Coal Harbour is a definite two man launch.

The road to Port Alice is paved, few good hills and does twist and turn so you are not going to be fast, but I figure the time to get to Port Alice vs driving to Coal Harbour about the same. At least In Port Alice you can launch tie the boat up and park the boat by yourself if necessary,Coal Harbour is a definite two man launch.
Is there fuel at Port Alice?

Did you launch in Port Alice and if so what did you think about the road in? I'm thinking of going that way this weekend with a 25 ft. boat.
I did launch in PA. The road was good. Some spots had shoulder repairs. But, very little traffic, so lots of room to avoid bad spots. The launch is good, but for larger boats, like my 30’, you want to hit the high tide. There’s no water, for rinsing trailer or engines. But there is one, on the way out of town after the skating rink. You’ll see it on the way in, on your left.

I did launch in PA. The road was good. Some spots had shoulder repairs. But, very little traffic, so lots of room to avoid bad spots. The launch is good, but for larger boats, like my 30’, you want to hit the high tide. There’s no water, for rinsing trailer or engines. But there is one, on the way out of town after the skating rink. You’ll see it on the way in, on your left.
Thanks for the info. Was there a place to park for the night and sleep on the boat? I know the tides are going to be low so were planning on getting there in the evening and launching early. The RV park is closed so thinking of an alternative.

if there’s a spot in the truck/trailer parking, you could stay there? I think the harbour master is on staff now? Maybe you could phone them?

There is water right beside the food trailer .

There is water right beside the food trailer .
Yes there is. But that location isn’t the greatest. While using it you’re blocking others from using the launch. One other thing. The hoses provided at the roadside station, didn’t have a threaded end. So bring your own hose, if you plan to rinse your engine.

Not really.
I fill up at the Hyde Creek esso and winter harbour.
Port Alice Petroleum has marked gas and diesel, please support them if you are launching in town! i (provided that their hours work for you).
Easily accessible and friendly.

Port Alice Petroleum has marked gas and diesel, please support them if you are launching in town! i (provided that their hours work for you).
Good to know, thanks.
FB says they are open 9-6 in the summer.
Marked diesel is always good to find.

There was a concrete barrier on the gravel side last week at Coal Harbour.
We were able to launch a 25 Alaskan hewescraft at less than 3 ft of tide.
We have someone in the boat and just backup about 3 feet and slamed on the breaks.
Boat comes right off.
The road to Port Alice is 15 km longer so more time.
We always tow the trailer to winter harbour so parking is not an issue.
My wife drives through the narrows with no problem.

I'm curious, what is the intent behind driving the trailer and boat separately to WH? Is it vehicle/trailer security, or something else?

The road to Port Alice is paved all the way and an easy drive. Great launch facility. I’ve launched at Coal Harbor as well but now use Port Alice exclusively.

We will be launching at Port Alice and then taking the truck out to WH for the first time this year.
My dad is well over 80 and can't easily carry his half of a cooler of fish up to the cabin for processing.
Same with cooler of ice in the morning back to the boat.
So I get to hump it up the ramp and into the truck, no complaints from me!

PA is a great ramp and I am no longer interested in taking boats on trailers over logging roads.
Much prefer the one hour cruise.

We pulled out a 23’ aluminum/bunk trailer at low tide June 22 and the guys infront of us launched a 24’ fiberglass/roller trailer without problems. There is a bit of a bump where the concrete ends but keep your eye out and be careful. Nice dock, $10.50/day I think to launch and park. I noted the Marina Managers # if anyone needs it.

Also got diesel at the station just when you come into, prices were reasonable.

I didn’t notice, do they have marked premium gasoline (marine fuel)? Or does Hyde Creek? We didn’t want to mess around with a 50’ rig and ate it $$ paying for highway premium in CR .

Back