winter harbour hali in late july?????

J

jjmoffett

going up to winter harbour in late july for five days and want to try for some hali and lings. do you have to head off shore? or are there good opportunities in protected waters????

You might run into an odd one, here and there, on the inside but plan on running over to Lawn Point area. You might also want to run to Brooks? Ask the locals, they will show you on the map! You're going to catch a ton of "pinks" this year!

Lots of rockfish, yelloweye and lings on the inside and some halis. Love that place but it is going to be a stretch to make it up that far this year.

running a 22' thunder jet. more of a river boat but we are going to give it a whirl. hopefully the weather is good, then we can run pretty much anywhere.

Hey JJ, there are halibut in the sound.We get a couple every year up there. The sound is protected when it's howling offshore and not far to go. Pick up a copy of the Island Halibut fisherman and there's locations in there for Quatsino Sound. Also if you head north from the lighthouse to Lippy Point and head straight out to about 250'and drop you'll catch chickens all day. It's offshore but not far and lots of salmon around too.

Hey, How do I get a copy of the Island Halibut Fisherman. I live to the south on Whidbey Island, US and would love to make it up that direction this summer to fish for hali. One of my goals for 2009 is to catch one from my own boat. Doubt I'd make a run up for just the Mag. though.

peeon_work_goinfishin-1.jpg

google is your friend..
http://www.amazon.com/Island-Halibut-Fisherman-Robert-Jones/dp/1550174142

U can also find it at the Holiday market tackle shop, North of U

quote:Originally posted by Outtadablu

Hey, How do I get a copy of the Island Halibut Fisherman. I live to the south on Whidbey Island, US and would love to make it up that direction this summer to fish for hali. One of my goals for 2009 is to catch one from my own boat. Doubt I'd make a run up for just the Mag. though.

Hey CS that area is now in an RCA. You have to go offshore quite a ways to get out of it but all the guides fish there.

Tomic, you are correct, google is my friend, copy headin' this way already. Thanks for the info.

brooks bay has some decent spots but watch the weather usually blows a nortwest gale by lunchtime and the waves between lawn point and kwakuitl point can get very big due to shallow water

we will be in the blue thunderjet with the hard top. july 20-25. see you there!

hey c.s. that sounds great! better have a lot of beer! my buddy is brining his thunderjet up at the same time! [:p]

thanks for the heads up on the kelp and other debris. was out on barkley sound last year on my buddys thunder jet. had to hit the stomp grate several times. seemed to work like a charm though. we are installing one on our boat this spring. good thing im bringing my brother and father in laws who are mechanics. and a big box of tools!:D never can be too prepared! whats your favorite flavour of brew? i will make sure to have some on hand if i run into you inexchange for some waypoints![:p]

Back